Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2024, 09:20   #1

Buying unregistered natante in Italy and sailing to Greece

Hello,

I'm new to forum, and after reading numerous posts, couldn't find an answer, so I'm posting here.

I'm a Brit. I want to buy a 9m sailboat in Italy, and relocate her to Greece for permanent mooring at a buoy in front of friend's house (either under a Greek flag or British red duster).
Because the boat is <10m in Italy it is regarded as "natante" (like a bicycle) and doesn't need to be registered, and so it does not have a flag. It is made in Italy and EU VAT paid.

I'm negotiating with the seller directly (no agent involved) as he's boatyard owner and he seems very kind and accommodating person, and I'm thinking of doing a direct deal - no lawyers involved (to save on legal fees), and no surveyor (it's pretty obvious what's wrong with the boat).

Can someone please provide a step-by-step process of buying a natante boat in Italy? Which papers need to be signed (please write the document names in Italian and where they can be downloaded).

After purchasing it, I'm thinking of registering it with UK SSR (Part 3). (Someone told me that for Part 3 a survey by Accredited Surveyor is not necessary. Is this true?). Alternatively, I thought about registering it under Greek flag (my Mom is a Greek national), but after finding out what it would mean for her annual taxes, I think I'll stick with UK flag and do check-in check-out rituals at every Greek marina.

Importantly, which papers should I obtain during the purchase in order to be able to register under British flag Part 3?

Many thanks in advance!
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 04:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Buying unregistered natante in Italy and sailing to Greece

As vessels <10m are not obliged to register in Italy, there is no process to go through. You simple have to reach an agreement with the seller, make sure you get the CE Declaration of Conformity and engine certificate, and she is yours. Note that the natante status is only valid in Italian waters within 12 miles.

It would be wise to :
  • have a survey conducted, to make sure there are no hidden shortcomings
  • register her in the UK, or elsewhere, before you leave the Italian waters. I am not familiar with the Greek rules and regulations, but most probably you are obligated to register the vessel before entering Greek waters.

Registering in Greece is a bit of a nightmare. You would be better off registering her in the UK or in for example Poland.
Old 13-04-2024, 05:13   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

You don't need a survey for British SSR.

A minor point, as a UK resident, a requirement of the SSR, you will be subject to IPT (Insurance Premium Tax) 12% on any insurance placed in the UK.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 07:15   #4

Thanks BM2023 and Tupaia for all of the advice.

But don't buyer and seller need to sign some kind of Deed Of Sale in front of a Notary with apostille to make the fact of transfer of ownership official??? If I was to register her on British SSR Part 3 (which is the likeliest scenario), they want to see an apostilled the Bill Of Sale, no? Plus a bill of sale will be needed for when I take the VHF to a dealership to enter my own MMSI number (I still haven't done that overpriced 1-day course with Ofcom). What is that Deed Of Sale form actually called in Italian, and where do I download it??? I found something called "Contratto di acquista", but not sure if that is it.

Regarding insurance: As it will be mainly in Greek waters (used for quick and spontaneous island hopping and remote and/or desert island explorations), I've negotiated a great third-party insurance that covers Greek waters only for just 85euros/year from a Greek insurer. I'm not gonna be with a British insurer. If I need to occasionally travel to Italy or France, I'll get Italian and French insurance.

Because it is a Natante, the boat itself doesn't have CE certificate (it's a one-of-a-kind custom sailboat), but the 8hp Yamaha outboard (which is it's engine) does have a CE certificate. I'm not sure if SSR will have problem with the sailboat not having CE certificate.

I'm considering getting a professional survey by a 3rd-party surveyor (probably 400 euros), but the seller is a boatyard owner and surveyor himself and tells things as they are. Quite straight forward guy. I mean he's not concealing even things that I didn't notice.

British SSR or Polish flag? SSR would cost just £35 (every 5 years) and Indefinite Transit Log is 80 Euros (Indefinite, because EU VAT is paid). BUT I would still need to check-out and check-in at every marina and harbour that I visit in Greece -- that's quite a hassle (finding the port police is not always easy in Greek ports, so you have to wait and wait, and by that time favourable winds are gone - takes out all the fun of sailing), although I don't know how strict and meticulous the Greeks are about making sure that you always check-out and always check-in while traveling inside Greek waters anyways.
That's why I'm actually contemplating a Polish flag, but I heard that one has to be a resident of an EU country to get it.
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 07:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying unregistered natante in Italy and sailing to Greece

An SSR is your simplest registration as a UK resident, all you need is the bill of sale and personal details along with proof of residence.. something brought in to stop abuse. No CE required.
As for Polish registration, no, one does not need to be an EU citizen..
https://www.polish-boat-registration...QaAi-OEALw_wcB

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 08:55   #6

Link to the Bill of Sale document that the US Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center publishes to facilitate the exchange of ownership.

Note it will require Notarization of signatures of both parties.

A similar contract document is likely available for Italy.

The document should be in a language that both parties have full capacity to read and understand. A certified translation of the American language document could be arranged by a translator service.

Do not sign a document you can't read.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/NVDC/CG-1340_Bill_of_Sale.pdf?ver=rj-oHnj_8H6gUjalwn_IAA%3d%3

Link to forms and instructions webpage:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...ons-and-Forms/

Be sure to obtain the original invoice & payment receipt showing that the EU VAT has been paid on the vessel by a prior owner(s). You will need that to avoid having to pay VAT yet again.

Bon voyages.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Greece, Italy, sail, sailing