Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2023, 01:40   #16

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Can an EU resident sail a non EU residents boat in EU if its VAT NOT PAID status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post

Unfortunately my diplomacy skills (or lack thereof) would prevent me from arguing the nuances of EU regulations to a Croatian customs official.

I expect getting a receipt for the 600 euro fine will be fun as well.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 12:09   #17

Re: Can an EU resident sail a non EU residents boat in EU if its VAT NOT PAID status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Depends on where his permanent address is.. NZ or FR..

Permanent residence as listed in the passport which document is required to gain entry to the country.

Of course if one is caught lying regarding one's immigration then the consequences are severe.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 00:29   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Unfortunately it is difficult to argue with a customs official if they are threatening you with imprisonment, a fine or confiscation of your yacht, but it seems to be in direct contravention of EU regulations.

Again from EU Commission Regulation (EEC) No 2454/93.

Section 2 (in which Article 558 granting relief from import duties is declared), there is also Subsection 7 which covers spare parts & repairs.

Spare parts, accessories and equipment; other goods
Article 577
Total relief from import duties shall be granted where spare parts, accessories and equipment are used for repair and maintenance, including overhaul, adjustments and preservation of goods entered for the arrangements.

I read that to mean that if a vessel is admitted into the EU under Article 558, it may also bring into the EU spare parts, accessories and equipment free from import duties.

Unfortunately my diplomacy skills (or lack thereof) would prevent me from arguing the nuances of EU regulations to a Croatian customs official.
first forget argue with custom and border police. have right search any Boddy holl,dismount your car in pices with torch without any court order.
second everything is with new shengen rules and by law pass in EU. if you have wish you can search on 2000 tonn document youa are free to do.

more you have right to pay fine and later complain to court(dont need lawer becouse this is paper court (sometime i win sometime lose) but before be law i complain and buying time. for example guy dont pay tax for luxury car
guy colect vat but spend this money on up luxury car over 200000€ tax. finacial service send solution he must return state 200000€ on account number. before closure i complain to court ta autorothi calculate wrong. after¸4 year i receive court decision a complain again couple time now we are 10 year and last recive court he must pay 5600€ tax and i say no more complain pay this peanuts.

now in Schengen law exchange,i must complain with reason and huge explanation by law. court s digital and fast. complain is hard if you guilty court eject case if is reason stupid like before. i like I complain because dont want pay governments, my astrologic say dont pay(i win also this one time)

now
temporory import tax dont pay.
who have right to sail boat. owner close family only,crew first time be in crew list(no extra friends this is ilegaly charter if owner and owner close family not on boat)

or you coming not vat paid foringer boat ,local crew must be owner on boat(very shady possible charge vat and have rights to size boat)
owner have contract with profesional crew with tax number of crew.Crew must be employed n this company or have own company with crew have marine documents and this is valid marina to custom border office leave 12 nm in international water.
and now you must check all EU country on your route when you leaving eu.

what reality say if custom control call from police,port control,coust guard. and owner is not on boat EU citizen is on boat with this shady paper contract not signed in for example consulat Croatia new york(if owner is resident new york) boat go to marina on keeping with forbiden leaving marina and anybody steps on boat(also owner is now forbiden to steps on boat. crew must leave boat. owner must return to eact custom office and explain pay vat later he have right complain.nobody win. i know 2 guys one new sunseaker 20 meter long he use maybe 4 time later court sold boat on auction and second 25 milion yacht serbian businessmen but he forget he also croatian citizen .he losse on court but he pay 12 milion fee and marina expense
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 08:55   #19

Boat: Marie Jeanne 43

Of course you can!
I am a french professionnal skipper.
I once sailed a panama-flag boat, temporary import, non VAT-paid thus ; belonging to a eastern-europe non-EU resident, and had a very complete custom control without any warning. This boat was usually sailed by an EU-resident.
Only the owner is concerned about residency.
PiAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 12:15   #20

Boat: 105 Palmer Johnson MY

Yea I think Boatman and Stevead have this one. The rest is just hot air. There are plenty of foreign owned non VAT paid yachts sailing all over the EU with captain and no owner aboard. Obviously many of them have non EU captains.
Paper it up if you’re worried about it
DShant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail