Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2023, 07:33   #1

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
CBP Roam app- Check "Yes" or "No"?

When using CBP Roam app to re-enter US from Canada do we select “No” for the import declaration because we don’t have prohibited stuff (such as eggs, raw chicken, etc) or select”Yes” because we have a galley pantry, fridge and freezer full of non-prohibited stuff?

My assumption is the requirement is that we only need to declare if we have any listed restricted or prohibited stuff, is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBP Roam screenshot.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	281289  
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 08:05   #2

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: CBP Roam app- Check "Yes" or "No"?

Not having read the question carefully enough, I responded NO this year, coming back into Washington from BC. The officer was not happy, and grilled me. Then they inspected my boat and confiscated several food items I did not think from previous experience were prohibited.

Comparing with my experience the previous year: I responded YES, they asked a couple more questions, and OK'd me to proceed.

I would recommend YES.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 10:08   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Its more about which officer your encounter than what box you check.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 14:49   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We always check yes.
We have food on board but use up or dispose of off shore any restricted items. They almost always want a video tour of the galley to see what we have.
As it was explained to me, if you click yes and they find restricted items... it has to be disposed of.
If you click no and they find restricted items... they can fine you.

Easy choice for me
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 15:55   #5

We have had interviewing officers be annoyed that we checked "yes" when nothing we had was an issue as far as she was concerned. Aparently it was an extra minutes work for her to update the application.

We have also had onsite inspections where we were very glad we had checked "yes" because they had a very expansive list of things that they considered not allowed.

We always check "yes" and answer the questions about it. We try to arrive with nothing we KNOW is prohibited.

US Customs and immigration rules are every7 bit as complicated as the insane tax system. NOBODY can know it all. That's why you get different answers every time.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 16:11   #6

If you leave the US with those items, and still have some leftover upon return, perhaps keep all your receipts. Costco, WalMart, Fred Meyers, etc.

When over in Canada or Mexico just buy and use the local stuff but keep the American products for backup.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 06:20   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Thanks for all your responses, very helpful! Consensus seems to be to check "Yes" because you do have food on board and CBP can interview or inspect you no matter what you check.

Yesterday, a first for us, we were cleared via the app without any interview, call, video chat or inspection! (we did click YES)
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 10:43   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A friend (retired border officer) once told me that anyone returning from crossing the border that replies No to "Anything to declare?" is automatically suspect.
If you answer Yes,your butt is covered- ie: you are planning to declare if necessary. You are breaking no laws if you declare your imports-banned or not banned.The worst they can do is seize the prohibited stuff.
Who cares if they are pi---d?

If you declare No & they find something-you are in doodoo.

Keep all your receipts & have a total$$ when asked.

My experience./Len
Old 23-09-2023, 13:56   #9

Here in Australia there’s a whole TV show dedicated to this very subject..... amazing what people bring into the country on overseas flights...... and the penalties incurred. It’s a bit more complicated than a Yes/No here, our declaration has a list of categories for individual ticking as well as the Yes /No window and Border Protection really takes this seriously, big fines, confiscation and possible detention or deportation are possible.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 12:52   #10

Curious, can you get in trouble for declaring illegal items? Say for example on the customs form you declare you’re bringing in some cocaine or rhino horn? Sure, the items would be confiscated but technically you’re not smuggling anything.

Might be an interesting experiment for one of YOU guys to try. Not me [emoji846]
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 14:37   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

For Canadians coming home: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...clare-eng.html
Old 24-09-2023, 14:40   #12

Oh yeah. Occasionally the Australian border protection guys allow the traveller to proceed un molested but track the traveller to catch the other people involved. From the tv show this is to let unwitting mules pass through so the real baddies think they succeeded. My knowledge in this is derived solely from the TV program.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 18:38   #13

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
When using CBP Roam app to re-enter US from Canada do we select “No” for the import declaration because we don’t have prohibited stuff (such as eggs, raw chicken, etc) or select”Yes” because we have a galley pantry, fridge and freezer full of non-prohibited stuff?

My assumption is the requirement is that we only need to declare if we have any listed restricted or prohibited stuff, is that correct?

I crossed BC to Washington last weekend and had the same conundrum. Although we didn't have any food or restricted items purchased in BC remaining onboard, we did have "food" and a dog, so we selected yes. Food is a pretty broad term. We were crossing between Saturna and Patos Islands on the way to Blaine and I really didn't want to physically check in at Pt Roberts, so wanted to select the appropriate answer. When we were contacted via video chat, the officer seemed more concerned whether we had been fishing in Canada, but he did ask about food onboard and had me walk through the boat on video to make sure it was just the two of us, as reported. Overall it was a great experience and I hope it continues so, as its a better option for me than backtracking to Roche or Friday Harbor on the way to Blaine.

Going the other direction; WA to BC is another conversation.
thx,
DD
DoubleD is online now   Reply With Quote