Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2014, 10:27   #1

CG Documentation - Name/Hailing Port Display?

We've recently documented our pleasure boat. We placed the boat name on each side and hailing port on the transom. It was after receiving our numbers that we realized the requirement is for both name and port to be together. Has anyone had experience with the CG enforcing this requirement?
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 10:35   #2

Re: CG Documentation - Name/Hailing Port Display?

That's the way I have it on my powerboat. With triple outboards, the transom area isn't particularly visible. I was told by a friend who is ex-Coast Guard that my configuration wouldn't be an issue.

I was on my way to Bimini on a really rough day. There were no other boats out and we were buzzed by a Coast Guard helicopter that circled us at a 100 yd range. We were at least 20 miles off Florida's Coast. I was a little worried because I hadn't had a chance to put the name and hailing port on the boat. I didn't think they'd do anything since my open boat obviously had only me and my wife on board. I would have been pretty rough for a small CG boat and there was no way they would have caught up to us in those conditions. last, we were going the wrong way to have caused any trouble the Coast Guard or immigration were concerned about. Had we be coming back too Florida, they may have been more likely to take some action.

My wife asked why they were circling so close. I said it was because they wanted to see who was crazy enough to be out in those conditions.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 10:41   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The USCG tends to be fairly practical about enforcing many things. But if there IS room for a proper display on the transom, in the specific way that the regulations require it to be displayed, and you're not doing it that way?

You can expect that sooner or later, someone is going to write you up on it.

One less thing to worry about, if you just do it per the regulations.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:23   #4

Thanks for the response. We moved the name to the sides because we were concerned the self steering would block too much of it. The hailing port seems visible around the self steering. So it was a practical consideration. But it is contrary to the stated reg. so I was asking for people's experiences. Thanks again.
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:49   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Paul-
Despite any claims to the contrary, LEOs tend to have all the usual human flaws and frailties. So if the regs say it has to be there, but don't say anything about obstructing the view...Some guy who got up on the wrong side of the bed is going to say "Well, the name isn't on the transom" and "sign here please". Or at least, has the option to say that.

When I had my first driver's license and was still on probationary status, I asked a traffic cop how to get someplace. He said "You see that sign that says No Left Turn? Go down to that sign and make a left."

Ahuh. OK, make a left at the no left turn sign.

You just can never tell who the good guys are, even if they're wearing white hats.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:57   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I thought it was a regulation that if used for commercial purposes, the name had to be on the sides near the stern. If so, seems strange that would be OK, but not for a pleasure boat.

Our name is on the front bows and the hailing port on the stern. Never had a problem in the 11 years we have had it that way. This includes 5 years of owning it near the Coast Guard academy, where the cadets seemingly train by continuously pulling over of boats for inspections. Can't count the number of times we have been boarded and this issue was never brought up once.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 15:12   #7

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

I didn't see anything in the regs that dictated where the name and poc were to be placed on a documented pleasure boat, just as long as they were at least 4" tall and permanently attached.

I've now got her Name on both sides of the cockpit, the Hailing Port on one side of her barn door rudder, and the State on the other.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 19:32   #8

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

46 CFR 67.123(c) covers recreational vessels
"The name and hailing port must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull."
(d) provides for letters and numbers not less than 4" in height.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.

Tags
documentation, men