Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2023, 13:40   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: clearing customs in Boston MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Boatpoker, unless you are absolutely sure of yourself, please don't spread misinformation that has very serious consequences. As far as I know, Zanshin has it right. Can you link to the regulation which has changed? And don't say that so and so got away with it in one case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

https://www.handyvisas.com/esta-us-v...tion%20instead.

One must look up each individual country as even automatic B1 and B2's for different countries may be slightly different. Some countries (Canada & France) do not even have to apply, we are automatically assigned a B2 when we cross the border. Some countries with this automatic B2 have different time limits they can spend in the US.
Old 06-04-2023, 14:08   #17

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

Some countries (Canada & France) do not even have to apply, we are automatically assigned a B2 when we cross the border.
I don't think this is correct in the case of France.

If you look at your first link, Canadians do have visa free travel to the USA, but French (and most of Europe) are only eligible for the visa waiver ... And as far as I am aware, the visa waiver is only available at land borders, or with a commercial carrier by air or sea, not by private boat ... so a visa is still required.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 14:42   #18

Boat: Morgan 382

I hope it is abundantly clear to the OP that they should call the CBP field office. I am quite sure the information I gave is correct, but the consequences are significant if someone shows up without the proper paperwork. So check.

Maybe the OP can share what they learn.
Old 06-04-2023, 14:47   #19

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

https://www.handyvisas.com/esta-us-v...tion%20instead.

One must look up each individual country as even automatic B1 and B2's for different countries may be slightly different. Some countries (Canada & France) do not even have to apply, we are automatically assigned a B2 when we cross the border. Some countries with this automatic B2 have different time limits they can spend in the US.
From the wikipedia article:

Quote:
When traveling to the United States by air or sea under the VWP with ESTA, the person must be traveling on a participating commercial carrier and hold a valid return or onward ticket, dated within 90 days.[19] The VWP does not apply at all (i.e. a visa is required) if a passenger arrives via air or sea on an unapproved carrier. ESTA is also required for travel by land
So based on the source you provided, the French skipper needs a Visa in advance and can't use the VWP.
Old 06-04-2023, 17:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
From the wikipedia article:

So based on the source you provided, the French skipper needs a Visa in advance and can't use the VWP.
https://fr.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/ Says ...

"French citizens who intend to visit the United States of America for tourism, transit, or business-related trips of up to 90 days are not required to obtain a visa."
Old 06-04-2023, 18:46   #21

Quote:
https://fr.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/ Says ...

"French citizens who intend to visit the United States of America for tourism, transit, or business-related trips of up to 90 days are not required to obtain a visa."
But what it doesn't emphasise is that this is only true when arriving by land, or an approved commercial air or sea carrier (ie 99.999% of tourist arrivals) ... the trap that gets cruisers in trouble is that it does not apply to private boats, for that you still need a visa (except Canadians).
Old 06-04-2023, 18:51   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
But what it doesn't emphasise is that this is only true when arriving by land, or an approved commercial air or sea carrier (ie 99.999% of tourist arrivals) ... the trap that gets cruisers in trouble is that it does not apply to private boats, for that you still need a visa (except Canadians).
Got a link showing that ?
Old 06-04-2023, 18:59   #23

Quote:
The catch is that the carrier has to be authorised ... pleasure boats don't meet that criteria.

https://www.cbp.gov/document/report/...m-vwp-carriers
Old 06-04-2023, 19:42   #24

Quote:
Literally, the link you posted (the Wikipedia link) says that.

But, here is the official US government site on the VWP. It's hidden because it isn't a common case. But, click on the + next to "May I apply for a visa instead of using the VWP?"

Quote:
Yes, you may apply for a visitor (B) visa, if you prefer to do so or if you are not elegible for VWP travel. Additionally, you need to apply for a visa if you will be traveling on a private aircraft or other non-VWP approved air or sea carrier. Review the approved carriers list. Also, if you intend to stay longer than 90 days, then you need to apply for a visa.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...#ExternalPopup
Old 07-04-2023, 04:33   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Literally, the link you posted (the Wikipedia link) says that.

But, here is the official US government site on the VWP. It's hidden because it isn't a common case. But, click on the + next to "May I apply for a visa instead of using the VWP?"

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...#ExternalPopup
"Permanent residents of Canada who are nationals of a designated Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country, may enter the United States by means of a pleasure boat along the northern border of the United States"

My apologies, I missed the word "Northern".
Old 07-04-2023, 04:58   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Yes, people from ESTA countries need a 10-year visa in their passport to enter by private yacht.

Yes, they can use the Roam app.

Yes, I am sure

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 09:07   #27

Quote:
"Permanent residents of Canada who are nationals of a designated Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country, may enter the United States by means of a pleasure boat along the northern border of the United States"

The full quote is a little more complicated ... it specifies that they must also have a valid I-94w ...

Quote:
Permanent residents of Canada who are nationals of a designated Visa Waiver Program country may enter the United States by means of a pleasure boat or ferry along the northern border of the United States, if in possession of a valid, unexpired, passport issued by his or her country of nationality, and an unexpired multiple entry Form I-94W, Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival/Departure Form, or an unexpired passport, valid unexpired United States nonimmigrant visa and I-94 Arrival/Departure Form.*
Old 07-04-2023, 09:19   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The I-94 has been replaced by an electronic one. Only LPR don't get one upon entry, the other visa types, including resident and work permit, get one (a virtual one) upon entry. Those slips were supposed to be collected when you left the country, but I'd usually have my old one in the passport when I returned to the USA and either the airline or the CBP officer would collect them.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:51   #29

Quote:

And also the word Canada. Unless the French skipper is also a permanent resident of Canada, he needs a visa in advance.

Again, I reiterate. The OP really needs to call CBP in advance of arrival to get the answer that is correct for their situation.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:38   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You can find your I94 and travel history here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs