Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:16   #1

Clearing in , Isla Mujeres Mexico?

Hi All- Planning a sail from FL to Isla Mujeres Mexico and back over the winter holidays, and was wondering if anyone had up to date information on clearing in and what all is needed. I read the advice in Rauscher's "Belize and Mexico Cruising guide", and they made it sound like quite a run around.

We're only going to be there a week, so I really don't want to pay big money to hire an "agent" to take care of it. On the other hand I really can't speak Spanish..

US citizens, FL registered vessel

Thanks!
asumpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Clearing in , Isla Mujeres Mexico?

When you get to Isla, go straight to Milagro, or Paraiso Marina, Milagro's agent is Julio, Paraiso's is Chepo. They only charge an extra $30. All the officials come to you. If you cannot afford that You have no business going to Mexico. You need to be aware of what happened to S/V Judy Anne last year. Their boat was impounded and they have not gotten it back. Also you need to get a Zarpe from Homeland security even though they will tell you that you don't need one. There are several forums on this. Also, once you get there you will be required to obtain an Importada which will require a ferry ride, or two and a couple hundred bucks. Technically you have seven days to get this but you don't want to be caught without it. It is good for ten years. Don't be naive, educate yourself before you go. You will also need five copies of everything. Here is the Noonsite link:Heading USA to Mexico? Important Information — Noonsite
Don't even try to clear yourself in there. It will take all day and you might run into trouble. The officials don't like Americans. I watched these guys get their boat taken away.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:58   #3

Boat: Nimble Nomad Trawler

I flew over to help a friend bring his 40' catamaran back in April of 2011. His crew had to leave for a family emergency so he needed help. The last time he took his boat out of the country, all you needed to do was fill out your own Zarpe so the boat was not legal in Mexico. He was able to sweet talk the lady in immigration to clear him and stamp his passport but the guys at the Port Authority were not so easily swayed...LOL. We fooled around with them for 4 days and much money passed over the counter but no results. We were finally told we could go over to Cancun and get an importada or leave the next day...we left...LOL
All in all I guess he was pretty lucky!
"Sweet Pea" Hull #1
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Hire an agent, it's worth it! I used Lima Docks.

Lots of forms/copies required. Contact the agent prior to leaving the USA and take/have things ready when you get there (notarized forms, etc.).

Remember, when you check out of Mexico (yes, you have to check out), if you want to leave on a weekend (or Monday), check out on Friday as nothing is open on the weekend. If Monday is your chosen day to leave, don't plan on leaving during the day if you wait to checkout until Monday, it all takes time. Keep in touch with the agent and pre-set a time to check out, then keep the appointment.

Examples of required stuff (not inclusive):

8 copies of the crew list (notarized)
5 copies of vessel documentation
2 copies of vessel insurance
2 copies of declaration of no weapon
3 copies of each passport

You'll talk to:

International Sanitation Office
Immigration Office
Customs Office
Harbor Master Office

And you'll talk to them again when you check out (except Sanitation).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
My advice... Get an agent. We used Chepo at marina pariso, ask him about the import document. I think you're right on the edge of needing it, and it's not really that expensive anyway.

Get the zarpe, I have the link on the computer @ home and can post it later of need be. Our laws do not require us to have it, Mexico's laws do.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34   #6

Thanks everybody for your advice. Gotta get my documentation together first I think.

For a "clearing out of the US" Zarpe do you all use this (found it on another thread)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zarpa.pdf (568.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 11-12-2012, 13:24   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by asumpton View Post
Thanks everybody for your advice. Gotta get my documentation together first I think.

For a "clearing out of the US" Zarpe do you all use this (found it on another thread)
That is the correct little bugger......
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:21   #8

Does Mexico require the vessel to be insured? Insured in Mexico?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asumpton View Post
Does Mexico require the vessel to be insured? Insured in Mexico?
I had insurance coverage for Mexico. Looking thru all the forms, there is a Mexico form that can be signed if you don't have insurance whereby you declare you are responsible for 'accidents or problems' caused by your vessel.

PM me with an email address and I'll send you the pdf package I have from 2011.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

They did not ask us for insurance when we cleared in at Isla Mujeres. Clearing out in Cozumel they did ask but allowed us to write a note and sign it stating why we did not have it so it was no problema.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44   #11

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

With so much red tape, time consuming hurdles and expense why would any sane person sails to Mexico? Spend your week, instead, around the Tobago Keys - Grenadines. There is an airport nearby, on Canouan island - West Indies, just in case you need it. It is not fun at all to spend time, money and efforts to go to Mexico. There are thousand of destinations, all over the world, where much of your sailing is hassle free. None of my pilot friends care to fly to Mexico. Pilots are treated like drug smugglers, and sometimes even worst than that. Mexico will find any excuse to confiscate your airplane, unless you have very very deep pockets. Happy holidays!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

It seems crazy, you can fly there for a week and stay no problems, bring your boat and it seems to be a massive headache???
We have been thinking of doing the Regatta del Sol this coming year, still on the fence on it, seems part of the entry fee covers all clearing in costs.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
With so much red tape, time consuming hurdles and expense why would any sane person sails to Mexico? Spend your week, instead, around the Tobago Keys - Grenadines.
Might be because one would need 2 weeks before and another 2 weeks after 'your week' just to get there and back?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
It seems crazy, you can fly there for a week and stay no problems, bring your boat and it seems to be a massive headache???
We have been thinking of doing the Regatta del Sol this coming year, still on the fence on it, seems part of the entry fee covers all clearing in costs.
Do it! It's worth it! It's a great time!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

You think, you should see the hassle us foreigners have sailing in on a yacht to the US. Im beginning to think they think we escaped gitmo prisoners.LOL.

Yet I am from a US visa wavier country , I can fly in ( or actually arrive by the QM2, which I did) and I get a thank for visiting the US, stamp , stamp, have a nice stay. ( arrive by the QM2, and you see much bowing and scraping amongst the nice immigration peoples!!).

The EU is actually one of the easiest places for foreigners to actually arrive into,by ordinary private yacht. standard requirements just like the airport no more no less, its doesnt seem to suffer the paranoia that many countries feel when you arrive on a yacht ( OMG, maybe there Halberg Rassy owning terrorists OMG).

Mind you I remember as a young man sailing into Aberystwyth in a HR56 with a real motly young crew, 15 minutes after arriving we had 6 policemen on board, ( all terribly nice young chaps, They just chatted to each of us individually , which I thought was a very nice way of ascertaining the story!!).

Dave

Dave

Tags
Mexico