Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2016, 01:25   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Clearing in to Venice, Italy

I'm planning to sail my Australian registered boat from Rovinj, Croatia to Venice, Italy in late September, 2016.

Everyone on board will be travelling on Australian passports and this will be our first entry into the Schengen area, for this trip.

I'm not sure of the actual process of clearing in: do I need to find a Customs and Immigration dock and stay there until we're cleared in or can I go to a marina and clear in later? How soon after sailing into Venice do I need to report to the authorities? Does the crew need to stay aboard until I return with their stamped passports?

Noonsite says "The office for boats needing to clear into the country (including Immigration) is located near the Port Authority and cruise ship terminal.

Ask for the "Polizia di Frontiera Presso Scalo Marittimo ed Aereo di Venezia". After crossing the pedestrian bridge over Canale Scomenzera located between Pl Roma vaporetto stops, the office is in the red painted building in amongst the trees on the right.

This is the only office you are required to visit, clearing in both boats and crew.
"

Which is great information but doesn't cover the actual "mechanics/logistics" of clearing in.

I've tried emailing the Polizia di Frontiera Presso Scalo Marittimo ed Aereo di Venezia but have got no reply (maybe Google translate turned my Strine text into insults in Italian ).

So, I was hoping someone who has actually done it can walk me through the process, step by step.

Cheers,

Bryan.
BRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 10:05   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Clearing in to Venice, Italy

Yea we did it 2 years ago -- right now in train station in Tbilisi Georgia so be patient with me -- you can go to a marina and get a map from them on where to go - the best marina is the second on after coming through the entrance to right and then up - the ferry leaves from there - that is unless you have a lot on $$ then the one right downtown works - we stayed on the 2nd one up
got a map from the marina on where to go and took the ferry to town -- no one stayed on board - we did manage to get within a few yards of it and not knowing it was the one.
we found a police station but the policeman pointed across the street and down the hill so we went -- what we did not know was the customs police were just and I mean just across the street in the red brick building and you walk down the hill and there is a small entrance for cars on a gravel road and you turn left and walk into the parking lot and eventually you will see the police sign -- the guys are great and easy to work with and no big deal -- and it is the only stop you have to make -

hope this helps
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 17:42   #3

Thanks for the info chuckr - it does help!

Was your boat non-EU registered?
Where were you coming from? Schengen or non-Schengen: Slovenia, Croatia etc.?
How long after entering the lagoon did you get to visit the police? Same day, next day, later than that?

My nervousness comes from the stories I've read about the zealous border police in Croatia who insist you travel directly to the clear in port and do it without delay. I'm comfortable with that in Croatia, because the border controls e.g. in Cavtat, are right next to the harbour wall so the procedure is straight forward:
  • park in the marked Q area,
  • pay the guy for the privilege of parking the boat,
  • walk to the customs and immigration and harbour master office,
  • clear in,
  • go back to the boat,
  • leave the Q area,
  • sundowners!

My concern with Venice is that there's nowhere convenient to the border police office to park the boat while we clear in (that I can see) and I was wondering how flexible they were with non-EU boats entering the Schengen area for the first time. If they're as zealous as the Croatians then I want to make sure we have no problems. If they're more relaxed with timing then I'll be more relaxed.

Cheers,

Bryan.
Old 28-06-2016, 18:55   #4

Boat: Bristol 29

I don't have any experience with clearing in in Italy, but in general, in Italy, if you are nice and friendly and respectful, the authorities will treat you likewise. Italians generally regard rules as guidelines rather than strict laws, and will try to help you if you are attempting to follow them.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:53   #5

We are an American boat and like you our last port of call was Rovinj with a direct sail to Venice. We went the next day as the sail across and into the marina took a bit of time. It is very relaxed and no big issue - the Italians are very easy to deal with. We did get lost as we missed the turn into the police station as we walked past it 2x. It took us 4-5 hours to find it and finally at the cruise port one of the people there took us in a car as the police there did not want to deal with us. Just relax and it will be ok.

And yes Croatia are tough on the rules but then again so are many other countries.
Old 30-06-2016, 17:44   #6

Thanks chuckr - that's exactly the reassurance I was hoping for

I was considering going to Trieste to clear in because it seemed to be more straight forward but now I'll stick with plan A.

Have others had similar experiences?

BTW, in another thread I've asked about the free chart that you can collect from the port authorities that shows "all the allowed anchorages and free moorings available in the entire lagoon" http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hy-111474.html

I don't suppose you've got a copy or know where I can source one
Old 03-07-2016, 01:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRob View Post
Thanks chuckr - that's exactly the reassurance I was hoping for

I was considering going to Trieste to clear in because it seemed to be more straight forward but now I'll stick with plan A.

Have others had similar experiences?

BTW, in another thread I've asked about the free chart that you can collect from the port authorities that shows "all the allowed anchorages and free moorings available in the entire lagoon" http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hy-111474.html

I don't suppose you've got a copy or know where I can source one
Have no idea on free charts from the port guys -- we just hit the police and they took our passports, disappeared and reappeared with them and said you now have 90days in the EU --

Even if there were some I would only take them as souveniors - I would not put my dink in the canals as we had a marina up the way a bit and the ferries and there are a lot of ferries run at speed and the wakes are big and frequent - not only that but you need someplace to lock it up once in Venice and make it very very secure as it could walking -- we took the ferry and it was great and got us around without the issue of dodging ferries or the huge wake from them --

good luck
Old 05-09-2016, 13:45   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

We are an AUS vessel who did this in the last week. Currently at anchor in Pula harbour enjoying lights show of the shipyard cranes with the colosseum part of the panorama
1. When you clear Rosinj be sure to leave Croation waters by shortest route - last week I cleared Pula early but anchored to have lunch in Rovinj to time a daylight entry to Venice. Zadar authorities track your AIS and when I returned to Pula yesterday day I was fined 1100K - thats another story....
2. I assume you have a spot booked at a marina in Venice Lagoon - I was at Marina Di Lio Grando as we are a catamaran and could not fit into the sailing club opposite St Marks (Isola san Giorgio Maggiore) and did not want to pay 180 Euro per night at Sant Elena. I would not know what to do without a pre-booked spot.
3. Cruise up past the Grand canal / take the vanity pics then proceed to your marina and relax.
4. I did overnight to Venice and took docs in that afternoon. Take documents to Poliza Fronterra - Scali Marittimo ed Arero (google map printout handy) other experiences and comments posted ring true eg noonsite - easiest way to get there Vaperetto to Le Roma but you will find it eventually. You will probably go to the wrong police station first per other comments but it will come together. Enjoy the claustrophobic waiting area smile and put on you most pleasant face and it will soon be over. Not at all like Montenegro (for example) but I think it always helps to appear respectful and keen to do the right thing.
5. When you check out it will be easy and no stress.
6. I always check my passports for the stamp as I recently flew in via Barcelona but my passport was not stamped - when clearing out by boat from Brindisi I had all sort of hassles but fortunately had kept my air ticket.

We are in Croatia for the next month or two - PM me if you would like more info.

Cheers,

George
gstent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Italy