Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 10:10   #1

Boat: Oyster 435
Clearing out of Cabo, Mexico

I've heard a rumour that Cabo, Mexico is no longer considered an official port (meaning you can't clear in or out there). Can anyone there confirm this? Im about to sail to Galapagos and Cabo was where I was planning to get my exit Zarpe.
Thanks
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 13:10   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Clearing out of Cabo, Mexico

is la paz still an entry port?? i know mazatlan is, and folks leave from la cruz and puerto vallarta on puddle jump.. might go there...

i googled mexico ports of entry.. you may wish to try that occasionally--here is what came out:
https://www.searates.com/maritime/mexico.html

missing from the list is chiapas which is a port of entry and exit.

and i found this, which is maybe more appropriate..noonsite, very good resource:
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 18:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
is la paz still an entry port?? i know mazatlan is, and folks leave from la cruz and puerto vallarta on puddle jump.. might go there...

i googled mexico ports of entry.. you may wish to try that occasionally--here is what came out:
https://www.searates.com/maritime/mexico.html

missing from the list is chiapas which is a port of entry and exit.

and i found this, which is maybe more appropriate..noonsite, very good resource:
Mexico —.
Yup, google searches pull up info that's at least a year old. This is something that supposedly just changed in the last month. Supposedly they are allowing the HaHa boats to check in at Cabo but that's it. It could also be a false rumour. Ideally Im looking for feedback from somebody who's there who can ask the port captain if anything has really changed.

I know people who have cleared out of La Paz but they don't do sailboats that often so you end up being treated just like a tanker (medical required, charged by the tonne etc).
Gary
Old 29-10-2017, 18:28   #4

i have heard nothing about that--i can check in the marina office--they are supposed to know these things. we received no notice to mariners about any changes.
tomorrow am willbe soonest i can check in office.
it seems to me that any port with cruise ship traffic would continue to be a working port.
Old 30-10-2017, 10:30   #5

Yeah. I assumed it just had to do with the fact that there's no military bank there and is the same as it's always been where you can't clear in and get a tip. But I'd hate to get there and find out something has changed...
Old 30-10-2017, 10:48   #6

Boat: F&C 44, 44ft

Gary:
I cleared out from C S Lucas to Papetee last May, 3rd.
Be aware of not working days ( and weekends)
First go to Capitania, collect el papers for the Zarpe, then to Inmigrations in front of Gas Station near de Marina; then again to Capitania, they will want to see some document that confirm that your boat is oceangoing and safe, explain them that such a paper does not exist and after hesitating and doubting they'll gonna clear you out.
Victor
victorraies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 12:39   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gary, imho, if it turns out that La Paz is the closest exit port, it would still be worth while to go up there to check out.

The sailing angle from Cabo to the Marquesas is that much better, and you don't have to cope with the light airs further south.

Ann
Old 30-10-2017, 13:12   #8

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
We cleared out from Mexico in San-Carlos / Sonora. At the Capitania they told us the rules changed last june. We had to take an agent to do the paper works and our boat was checked by a marine officer (a guy with an uniform). Asked us for boat documents, insurance, safety gear, life raft validity, VHF (2), run the engine, etc... one hour inspection, our boat was OK so no problem for oceangoing.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 13:42   #9

ok from horses mouth.
checking in is done in ensenada.
cabo is no longer poe.
your best bet, closest to you is la paz or mazatlan for checking out. unless you wish to travel farther to check out.
Old 30-10-2017, 15:06   #10

Thanks everyone. All good posts with good info.
I am in Guaymas so I will look into checking out here or in San Carlos. I've heard horror stories from people checking out of La Paz but maybe thats the only other option now aside from PV or further south. The Navy has taken over lots of the port captains duties as of last june which in theory should mean things are more standardized between ports... but, TIM (this is mexico).
Gary
Old 30-10-2017, 15:28   #11

check out of san carlos/guaymas., that is one on list as well. mazatlan is a very efficient port of entry and exit, you have overlooked that obvious answer. they donot even use sniffer dogs in mazatlan., as they do in some other ports.
as all marinas in mexico have been militarized there is good potential for checking out in a marina instead of an office of capta. de puerto. not all marinas have the military as guards, it may not look as if there has been militarization, but the receptionist in the office can get what is needed done in short order. ours is able to have officials out to marina in same day. try it. you donot have to go wandering all over cities. but then hard headedness may insist on that unnecessary part of the adventure.
Old 14-01-2018, 06:54   #12

Update now that I've checked out.
We chose La Paz to get our Zarpe. The offices are scattered across the city but it makes for a nice day walk. All officials were pleasant and helpful and despite taking a half day it was not hard to do. We also got a Fumigation certificate which saved us having to get fumigated in the Galapagos.
I also confirmed that you can clear out of Cabo but given the price of a dock there and the horrible anchorage we were happy to jump through the few extra hoops in La Paz.
We were sad to leave Mexico after 3 years but will be back for sure and are now on to new crazy adventures.
Old 14-01-2018, 09:45   #13

happy sails!!!
Old 14-01-2018, 09:53   #14

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Please tell more about the fumication certificate. What did you do and what/how/who did you ask for? TIA!
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 11:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Please tell more about the fumication certificate. What did you do and what/how/who did you ask for? TIA!
We used Ruiz Castro in La Paz. While he spoke no English he was easy to work with, prompt (yes, he showed up when he said he would) and gave us exactly what we needed. Expect to negotiate a price similar to what you would spend in the Galapagos without the mess.
For entry into the galapagos you need a certificate that says that you were fumigated no more than 2 days before the departure date on your zarpe and it needs to say that the "Termonebulizacion" method was used. The only mistake we made was to only have it valid for 1 month instead of 2 because they want the certificate to be valid for the entire time you are in the Galapagos. Our agent "Don Bolo" smoothed that over for us but Im not sure all agents would be able to pull that off.

Tags
Mexico