Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 02:50   #106

Re: Coast Guard procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I think most boardings are simply because the boat is loaded with 18 and 20 something young one-weekend-a-month kids and the Cap and they are given a mission to compete for that Saturday or whatever and they just do what they are told so that by the end of the weekend, they have to complete minimal paperwork and they just go home and get back to their regularly schedule program. Maybe I’m off here but I think it’s often as simple as that.
You're off here. The vast majority of boardings are competed by active duty personnel who belong to the government 24/7/365. There are Reservists who meet all the training, proficiency, and currency requirements who do boardings. Also Reservists who die in wars for their country (http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2014/0...n-bruckenthal/), but to you they're just "one-weekend-a-month kids" I guess? Pretty disrespectful, but maybe I'm off here.
14murs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:03   #107

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14murs14 View Post
You're off here. The vast majority of boardings are competed by active duty personnel who belong to the government 24/7/365. There are Reservists who meet all the training, proficiency, and currency requirements who do boardings. Also Reservists who die in wars for their country (http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2014/0...n-bruckenthal/), but to you they're just "one-weekend-a-month kids" I guess? Pretty disrespectful, but maybe I'm off here.
What just happened here?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:24   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
What just happened here?
Near as I can tell zboss asserted that Coast Guard boardings are done by incompetent Reservists which he/she define as "one-weekend-a-month kids and the Cap and they are given a mission to compete for that Saturday or whatever and they just do what they are told so that by the end of the weekend, they have to complete minimal paperwork and they just go home and get back to their regularly schedule program." Given that Coast Guard Reservists put their life on the line on a pretty regular basis, I found that rather ignorant statement pretty offensive and was not afraid to say so. Still not sure what Cap is though, or what hats have to do with this discussion?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:13   #109

Boat: Formosa 41

I don’t think “One weekend a month kids” is being disrespectful.

I saw this CG go fast boat with twin Honda’s. Behind the helm seat were four more fancy seats with seatbelts, cushioning pistons and handholds. The one aft on the port side had a computer screen. “Nice” I said , “This guy gets to play video games.”

The CG kid laughed. I asked, “What is your favorite video game?”

“ It’s kinda new he said. I like Fortnite.”

My kids and grandkids play video games. I’ve never played but the CG kid and I talked a little about video games.

My point is, “One weekend a month kids” isn’t anything to get worked up about.

ETA: I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t get worked up over it. It’s OK with me if you get worked up. Part of the freedom we have here is to get worked up over things.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:32   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I don’t think “One weekend a month kids” is being disrespectful.

I saw this CG go fast boat with twin Honda’s. Behind the helm seat were four more fancy seats with seatbelts, cushioning pistons and handholds. The one aft on the port side had a computer screen. “Nice” I said , “This guy gets to play video games.”

The CG kid laughed. I asked, “What is your favorite video game?”

“ It’s kinda new he said. I like Fortnite.”

My kids and grandkids play video games. I’ve never played but the CG kid and I talked a little about video games.

My point is, “One weekend a month kids” isn’t anything to get worked up about.

ETA: I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t get worked up over it. It’s OK with me if you get worked up. Part of the freedom we have here is to get worked up over things.
Taken in the manner you presented it, absolutely not something to get worked up over. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:37   #111

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The coast guards mission needs to be reeled in... focus solely on commercial vessels, except in cases of search and rescue, and they need to be merged with C&I.

I disagree on all fronts. First C&I is a function that goes well beyond the waterfront - roads and airports, package shipping, asylum ... jeepers.

I have personal knowledge of recreational boats being used for drug smuggling; a college classmate should be getting out of prison any year now. Human trafficking and smuggling happens on recreational boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I cross international borders in my boat a dozen or even a couple of dozen times every year, and I have been boarded many times.

Agree. For the anticipated boardings for C&I we make cookies or brownies. We are supportive of boarding requirements while standing up for ourselves if safety or damage is at issue. Lots of boardings as delivery skippers tend to be in places and at times that are unusual. No issues beyond the occasional boot scuff mark.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:56   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I disagree on all fronts. First C&I is a function that goes well beyond the waterfront - roads and airports, package shipping, asylum ... jeepers.

I have personal knowledge of recreational boats being used for drug smuggling; a college classmate should be getting out of prison any year now. Human trafficking and smuggling happens on recreational boats

Sure it does, just like automobiles and houses, yet we don’t support random stops and searches of automobiles or houses, why not?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:14   #113
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Scuff marks?
Really now, have you tried offering them disposable boot covers, like all the good home contractors use?

https://smile.amazon.com/Disposable-...ers+disposable

Also available at any hospital/surgical supplier.

Nine cents a pair, including delivery, and if you have a logo printed on them, they can keep them as souvenirs of their visit. EVERYONE loves free souvenirs!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:03   #114

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sure it does, just like automobiles and houses, yet we don’t support random stops and searches of automobiles or houses, why not?

Random stops and searches of automobiles are not uncommon, although more limited than for boats.

The Fourth Amendment protects us in our homes without a warrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Scuff marks?
Really now, have you tried offering them disposable boot covers, like all the good home contractors use?

Funny you raise that. I have them and carry them on my own boat. I don't carry them on delivery. Results have been mixed.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:15   #115
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The Fourth Amendment protects us in our homes without a warrant."
Actually not quite. It calls for "want or warrant" and if a cop looks through your window and sees a bloody body on the floor, or smells heavy weed, or has been chasing a bad guy who bolted inside...they call it "exigent need" and they don't need a warrant. The limits and problems with that, and with typos on warrants, and a few other points, keep getting in the Nooze.

The fun is, when some newb with a long gun tries to put on boot covers, runs out of hands, and has to ask you to "hold this for a minute" while he uses both hands. And then quickly realizes, no, he's really not supposed to ask you to hold THAT.(G)

We had an extra breaker on the panel after rewiring, and lacking adult supervision, labeled it "SCUTTLE CHARGES". Sometimes, you can see someone thinking they'd really rather not ask.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:16   #116

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Update: So I did find the item on RPARTS.COM (RPARTS.COM - 4 Pin Power Module for older Danfoss Compressors) however, I do want that peace of mind and am still going with a new unit.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote