Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2017, 17:34   #1

Boat: Moana 33
COLREGS - vessel under oars

This is not an attempt at humor, just a simple question: what give-way rules govern the situation with a vessel under oars, bearing in mind the light requirements (Rule 25) include vessels under oars along with sailing vessels?

In previous thread that was closed (due to too much infighting), I realised my life-long understanding may be completely wrong, so I went searching (as advised to by one poster) and found this:

"... I was taught 'steam gives way to sail, sail gives way to oars'. However, as far as I can see the ColRegs provide no guidance as to how vessels under oars should be treated. ..."

1. Is the above statement true or false regarding COLREGS?
2. If true, then what guidance/etiquette should I follow (in this busy harbour where I currently find myself) while under oars?
3. If false, which rule applies?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 17:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: COLREGS - vessel under oars

Prior to 1972 (when the colregs were re-written) rowing was explicitly give way to sail.

Post 1972 there is no explicit prescription - in which case . . . .

If sail crossing paths with a vessel under oars, both vessels are responsible for taking action, and neither is a stand on vessel.

The current crossing rules (12, 14 to 17) do not make specific provision for vessels under oars, so technically neither the vessel under oars nor another crossing vessel (oars, sail, power, fishing etc.) is the stand on vessel.

All the other rules continue to apply to vessels under oars and other vessels in relation to them - responsibility; look-out; safe speed, risk of collision; action to avoid a collision; narrow channels; traffic separation zones; overtaking, 18d avoid impeding vessel signalling constrained by draught; vessels in restricted visibility. Parts of the lights, shapes and sound regs will apply to a vessel under oars.All the other rules continue to apply to vessels under oars and other vessels in relation to them - responsibility; look-out; safe speed, risk of collision; action to avoid a collision; narrow channels; traffic separation zones; overtaking, 18d avoid impeding vessel signalling constrained by draught; vessels in restricted visibility. Parts of the lights, shapes and sound regs will apply to a vessel under oars.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 18:08   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Actually an excellent question, which has been touched on in a few threads, without too much clarification.

A couple of points to ponder, it's not just a guy rowing a dinghy to shore that needs to be considered.
A "men's 8" practicing on a river can well hit 15 knots.
Kayaks and racing outrigger canoes will be as fast or faster than your average sailboat.

Unfortunately COLREGs (and Cockcroft) are silent on the issue (other than with regard to lights).

My opinion would be that both sailboats and "vessels under oars" are equally obliged to take action to avoid collision. Rule 2 applies.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 18:19   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Although a vessel under oars may be lit as a sailing vessel, one should not infer that they are considered to be a sailing vessel for other Rules (i.e. Rule 9, 10, 12, 18 or 35). Ultimately, the issue of whether a vessel under oars is the give way or stand-on vessel would fall to what would be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case (Rule 2), and, the notion that they are less able than most other vessels.
See Number 13 of FAQ from CG, ordinary practice would seem to be to consider it a vessel restricted in maneuverability or you are overtaking unless it's a racing outrigger etc. and it's passing you in most cases.
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageNam...ulesFAQ#0.3_13
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 19:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Prior to 1972 (when the colregs were re-written) rowing was explicitly give way to sail.

Post 1972 there is no explicit prescription - in which case . . . .
Great! That pre-72 rule was always my understanding, so I was only forty years out-of-date! (Introduced 1977 or thereabouts?) So from now on that quote about "ordinary practice of seamen" will be good enough for me.
Old 30-08-2017, 19:27   #6

... which of course is a direct quote from Rule 2 ... okay, I'm beginning to get this
Old 30-08-2017, 20:05   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
... which of course is a direct quote from Rule 2 ... okay, I'm beginning to get this
Great!.
As I said in that closed post

....when studying the court transcripts of Marine incidents Rule 2 always surfaces as the guiding philosophy towards judgements.

Experienced Mariners actually advise and help to define to the Court where safe seamanship was used and most importantly... Where it Failed!
Things like 'safe speed', appropriate lookouts, proper navigational techniques are all quantified so as to judged upon
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 20:26   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
This is not an attempt at humor, just a simple question: what give-way rules govern the situation with a vessel under oars, bearing in mind the light requirements (Rule 25) include vessels under oars along with sailing vessels?

In previous thread that was closed (due to too much infighting), I realised my life-long understanding may be completely wrong, so I went searching (as advised to by one poster) and found this:

"... I was taught 'steam gives way to sail, sail gives way to oars'. However, as far as I can see the ColRegs provide no guidance as to how vessels under oars should be treated. ..."

1. Is the above statement true or false regarding COLREGS?
2. If true, then what guidance/etiquette should I follow (in this busy harbour where I currently find myself) while under oars?
3. If false, which rule applies?
I was always taught the most burdened boat has the right of way. No way a 700 foot tanker in a narrow channel is required to give way to a 12 foot sailing dinghy that draws inches and can be beached with ease.

As others have posted there are also a large range of boats powered by oars/paddles and some are quite fast some exceeding 15knots. In general things like size, speed, ease of changing course, along with location (e.g. being in clean open water as opposed to narrow channel) are more important in determining which boat is required to give way and the method of power is often a lesser consideration. Not to mention pleasure boats as a rule are required to give way to boats/ships engaged in commerce.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 20:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
... Not to mention pleasure boats as a rule are required to give way to boats/ships engaged in commerce.
Which rule would that be?!?! Please quote rule numbers/references, as we had a whole thread going off the rails with unsupported comments.

(Not too many 700' tankers buzzin' thru this little harbour, thank goodness! Mostly small stuff - sail, outb'ds, small fishing boats...)
Old 30-08-2017, 20:46   #10

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I was always taught the most burdened boat has the right of way. No way a 700 foot tanker in a narrow channel is required to give way to a 12 foot sailing dinghy that draws inches and can be beached with ease. - There are specific rules covering/confirming that situation

...a large range of boats powered by oars/paddles and some are quite fast some exceeding 15knots. In general things like size, speed, ease of changing course, along with location (e.g. being in clean open water as opposed to narrow channel) are more important in determining which boat is required to give way and the method of power is often a lesser consideration - Be careful, not in open water and as noted above confined waters/depth are dealt with specifically.

Not to mention pleasure boats as a rule are required to give way to boats/ships engaged in commerce - Are you by any chance Greek?.
The Greek collision regulations are far easier to learn that the International ones: Fibreglass gives way to steel, end of...
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 20:58   #11

1) A canoe/Dinghy is a non powered craft. The general 'rules of the road' apply ... unless the particular waterway that you are on, is covered by a local ordinance that overrides the Int Col Regs.

2)Rule 2 requires the crew of all "vessels" to be responsible and excercise good seamanship.

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 21:41   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hmmm, I say 2b and good sense.... The other day a guy rowed a dory by very fast, and at the same time another guy was barely moving in a breath of wind in his Lido 14. In that instance, as I read it, the sail boat had the right of way. I can't imagine someone rowing his dinghy is going to yell at a becalmed sailboat to get out of his way! But then again, crazier things have happened. The dory went around the sailboat with just a nod to each other. I don't think "nod of hello" is a colreg requirement, but it oughta be!

OK, I better edit that! The sailboat was the STAND ON vessel. There is no "right of way" in COLREGS
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 21:44   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Which rule would that be?!?! Please quote rule numbers/references, as we had a whole thread going off the rails with unsupported comments.

(Not too many 700' tankers buzzin' thru this little harbour, thank goodness! Mostly small stuff - sail, outb'ds, small fishing boats...)
I think that is a reference to 3g.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 22:16   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Originally Posted by tomfl
... Not to mention pleasure boats as a rule are required to give way to boats/ships engaged in commerce.

Nevis Dog:

Don CL:
I think that is a reference to 3g.

I think not.
(g). The term “vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre” means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to manoeuvre as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.The term “vessels restricted in their ability to manoeuvre” shall include but not be limited to:
.followed by a list of situations where the work they are performing is the critical factor in that the work in itself restricts the maoueverability.

There is no way that a boat/ship engaged in commerce is, by virtue of that fact, "restricted in her ability to manoeuvre". And nowhere does it say that "pleasure craft" fall into a different category than any other craft of the same type with regard to "give way" situations.

If a "pleasure craft" were required to give way to a vessel engaged in commerce, then a billionaire's "super yacht" would always have to give way to a smaller coastal freighter.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 22:26   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
If a "pleasure craft" were required to give way to a vessel engaged in commerce, then a billionaire's "super yacht" would always have to give way to a smaller coastal freighter.
And so it should!
Yes I know... irritated boat owner here swamped by a ruddy great selfish arab floating luxury residence............

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote