Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 13:51   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
In NZ the govt already charges entry fees for some national parks.
That will be strange news to New Zealanders and the many tourists that enter the National Parks.

Entry to all NZ National Parks (and as far as I know to all other publically owned parks) is free for all members of the public. It is part of the general policy for the management of the parks for it to be so.

Small charges may be made for the use of some park facilities and services such as use of huts which I assume no one should be surprised about.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 15:25   #17

NZ government recently voted free access for young adults to all parks.The reason ?NZ youths are getting too fat.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 16:26   #18

Quote:
NZ government recently voted free access for young adults to all parks.The reason ?NZ youths are getting too fat.
I assume that you are joking Nonam in which case I'll join in with a smiley here.

But if you are serious I have to tell you that there has always been free access to NZ National Parks for everyone whether they be locals or tourists.
Old 03-01-2009, 17:38   #19

No,not joking.I remember thinking,at the time,"great,we get more grafitti and other vandalism in our parks".But I accept that you are right.There are no actual fees for entry.Fees are probably for facilities.
But getting back to the subject,in NZ the Dept of Conservation is surely one institution that would like to be able to track boats.You know Auckland and Campbel islands are part of the country but you cant go there without permission, which I suspect would have many strings to it,if granted.You can still go to Stewart Island without permission.What is the reason?
Old 03-01-2009, 17:43   #20

Raoul Island is another that is off limits now.I dont believe visiting yachties ever did any damage to that island.
Old 03-01-2009, 18:18   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Great flashback Delmarrey but I had to wonder how consistent Janis was in her thoughts...

1984 has already come and gone and I already accept that I am being monitored. So far, there has been no evidence that it is not benevolent or that I need to fear further technological advances that will make it mutually convenient in an emergency.

Freedom resides in the mind and as Chuck points out, paranoia over what abuse “might happen” to us from this monitoring, only serves to inhibit that Freedom.

“Don’t Worry…Be Happy!”
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 19:53   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The cure for a tracking device is easy. Its called a piece of driftwood and a few lag bolts.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 20:47   #23

Quote:
Raoul Island is another that is off limits now.I dont believe visiting yachties ever did any damage to that island.
Probably only because they have had little chance to do so.

As well as the places you mention Kapiti Island right outside my window is limited to 40 visitors with permits per day, and for a few others around here landing is generally prohibited.

But they and the others you mention are all wildlife sanctuaries for threatened native species, they are not public or national parks. Most have had all non indigenous predators such as members of the weasel family and rats (which prey on native species of birds and the tuataras) exterminated (as is the case on Kapiti). The likes of Stephens, The Brothers and Trios Islands around my own neck of the woods are important refuges for tuatara.

Free access to these places would place their protected sanctuary status at risk. Of course, some may consider it more important for cruisers to be able to visit these very few places without permits than the protection of the islands' pest free status but that is never going to happen. There are plenty of other places to visit.

You cannot be a New Zealander or a resident here because it would be most unusual for a NZ'er or resident to be making the claims that you are making on our behalf.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:29   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great flashback Delmarrey but I had to wonder how consistent Janis was in her thoughts...
"Me and Bobby McGee"" was actually written by Kris Kristofferson (with Fred Foster) - not Janis Joplin.
Joplin wrote "Mercedes Benz" (with Michael McClure and Bob Neuwirth) as an ironic & satirical commentary on materialism.

Notwithstanding, I find the sentiments, of the several authors, quite consistent.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Great thread but it will end up political I fear.
Yep!

Quote:
<snip>...
In NZ the govt already charges entry fees for some national parks.They could easily expand that.Boaters could be taxed for anchoring/sailing near parks and reserves.
Actually there is a ton of freedom that could be lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
That will be strange news to New Zealanders and the many tourists that enter the National Parks.

Entry to all NZ National Parks (and as far as I know to all other publically owned parks) is free for all members of the public. It is part of the general policy for the management of the parks for it to be so.

Small charges may be made for the use of some park facilities and services such as use of huts which I assume no one should be surprised about.
Just to add to the thread drift, National Parks in West Oz and Tassie charge entry fees and IIRC so does Queensland now. Still doesn't deter the KIWI's from coming over though.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:27   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
"
Joplin wrote "Mercedes Benz" (with Michael McClure and Bob Neuwirth) as an ironic & satirical commentary on materialism.

Notwithstanding, I find the sentiments, of the several authors, quite consistent.
You’re right again Gord!

My apologies for infusing the song with my own aging bias. .....Kind of depressing!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 13:00   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just to add to the thread drift, National Parks in West Oz and Tassie charge entry fees and IIRC so does Queensland now. Still doesn't deter the KIWI's from coming over though.
Personally, I think thread drift is very appropriate in a thread on Compulsory Tracking so keep it up .

Am now in the process of rearranging my mid winter escape to somewhere warm to other than Queensland .
Old 04-01-2009, 14:55   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
<snip>...

Am now in the process of rearranging my mid winter escape to somewhere warm to other than Queensland .
Ahh, Queensland - perfect one day, developed the next; but does have some nice cruising (just to keep the drift somewhat related to boating) .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote