Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2021, 06:46   #31

Re: country flags do you need them?

Courtesy flags are an essential requirement of any vessel outside of home waters. Why? the very name says it all. Upon completion of our circumnavigation in 2006, we displayed them all with the our host nation Courtesy Flag (Venezuela) from the starboard spreader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARGONAUTA I Venezuela.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	248323  
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 07:00   #32

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
SkipperDan,

It is not worth giving the host country the offense of not flying their flag at the stbd spreader, once you have cleared in. It really IS an insult.

Obviously, you can hand sew flags on passages, too. Before we left the States, we visited our local sailmaker and he let us raid his spinnaker offcuts bin. We made all our flags, because often they are not for sale locally, and it is a pleasant project. Spinnaker cloth flags only last about 3 months, keep better if you take them down at night. You don't have to sew like a seamstress, for something that will be seen from 20 ft. down! so a simple basting stitch will do the job or a lock stitch. You can get pictures to copy for the complicated flags. We actually bought a flag book, which also gives the ratio of hoist to length, for the various flags.

Ann
I could probably pull off the tri color flags, but how would you make Mexico, or USA. That would be a lot of complicated sewing.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 07:59   #33

You can buy flag material and fabric paint. Works well unless the flag is hard to paint
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 08:13   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
country flags do you need them?

And keep your courtesy flags in good order also. No tatties

As I have a warranted ensign it always gives me a dilemma as to where to fly the burgee for it , hence these days I fly that from the port flag halyard.
Old 15-11-2021, 08:24   #35

Whatever you choose to do about the flags just remember to hoist then on the starboard side.
Old 15-11-2021, 08:36   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

The courtesy flag should be flown higher than any other flag on the vessel, typically immediately below the spreaders.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 09:20   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Several countries along your path care that you respect them, and see the courtesy flag as a sign of that…..it’s a pretty easy thing to do.

Downside is pissing off the health/customs/immigration officials that are doing the paperwork to let you into their country…..
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 09:24   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Apart from being courteous, it has always seemed to me to be rather fun to fly a courtesy flag. Putting one up is a sense of occasion. Even achievement at having crossed between countries.

However, as one message has already cautioned, getting it wrong can be the cause of distress. That is especially so in Gibraltar. If you really, really want to be treated like something you would not want on the bottom of your own sailing shoe then fly a Spanish flag from the starboard cross tree there.

Conversely, I have never been quite sure whether a UK registered boat should fly any courtesy flag at all in Gib. It is, after all, a British Overseas Territory. My boat is based there and I never ever have put up that form of bunting. As against dressing overall in Gibraltar Flags and wearing red and white clothes for National Day. More fun.

Oh, and when sailing North I cross the end of the runway and come into line with the aerial in la Linea I put up a Spanish courtesy flag. Which I did replace as mine was so tattered.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 09:29   #39

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

As far as I can see, no one has explained the reason why courtesy flags are required or desirable.
I was taught it's because, traditionally, flying your national colours in foreign waters without anything else could be construed as an act of war, so you display your host country's flag show that you come in peace, and indeed as a "courtesy".
Incidentally, the correct courtesy flag is the mercantile ensign of the host country; even from a warship. Thus, if in UK waters, the correct courtesy flag is the Red Ensign, NOT the Union flag, the White Ensign, the Red Ensign, the flag of St George, or the Cornish flag.
In France, though, the local regions, especially Normandy and Brittany, take it very kindly if you fly their provincial flag as well as the tricolour. Many Frenchmen think of themselves as Breton or Norman, or whatever, first, and as Frenchmen second.
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 09:47   #40
Nearly an old salt

country flags do you need them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
The courtesy flag should be flown higher than any other flag on the vessel, typically immediately below the spreaders.

But below your masthead burgee

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge/reg...flag-etiquette
Old 15-11-2021, 10:46   #41

In Dover, I've seen visiting Cruise ships flying the Union flag (wrong!), upside down (even more wrong!!) and visiting yachts flying the French tricolour. Lost maybe?
GarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 15:07   #42

I quite like the whole ceremony of hoisting a courtesy flag; it’s a sign you are halfway there on a long passage. Only bagged one so far but want to collect more.

There are of course lots of valid reasons why you might NOT fly a courtesy flag. In increasing order of likelihood:

1) The main one is you are not intending to accept the laws of the country you are visiting, because you are conquering/annexing/invading/raiding/pillaging etc ( bit rare this )

2) You got a bit lost and didn’t realise you had entered foreign waters (you’ll be the one squinting at the upside-down road atlas as you approach the harbour)

3) You just bought a boat and never heard of it before

4) You know all about it but you couldn’t find the darn thing. It was in the locker a minute ago. Yeah I suppose I should put on that life jacket. Must fix that VHF radio some day as well. You’re are a slacker / free spirit and you’ll charm your way past any questions ;-)

A good smuggler will wear a courtesy flag and a cheerful smile to keep the brandy and baccy safe. Those customs officials will be picking on boats 2, 3 & 4
GypsyOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 15:26   #43

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyOwner View Post
I quite like the whole ceremony of hoisting a courtesy flag; it’s a sign you are halfway there on a long passage. Only bagged one so far but want to collect more.

There are of course lots of valid reasons why you might NOT fly a courtesy flag. In increasing order of likelihood:

1) The main one is you are not intending to accept the laws of the country you are visiting, because you are conquering/annexing/invading/raiding/pillaging etc ( bit rare this )

2) You got a bit lost and didn’t realise you had entered foreign waters (you’ll be the one squinting at the upside-down road atlas as you approach the harbour)

3) You just bought a boat and never heard of it before

4) You know all about it but you couldn’t find the darn thing. It was in the locker a minute ago. Yeah I suppose I should put on that life jacket. Must fix that VHF radio some day as well. You’re are a slacker / free spirit and you’ll charm your way past any questions ;-)

A good smuggler will wear a courtesy flag and a cheerful smile to keep the brandy and baccy safe. Those customs officials will be picking on boats 2, 3 & 4
...a good smuggler already has an arrangement with the Customs officers so that they will be eager to complete his paper work and collect their cut!

They may remind him to fly a proper courtesy flag so as not to attract attention.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 15:38   #44
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...a good smuggler already has an arrangement with the Customs officers so that they will be eager to complete his paper work and collect their cut!

They may remind him to fly a proper courtesy flag so as not to attract attention.
Sadly round here , the port police with a frown and a desire to look over the paperwork is being replaced by a women with an iPad and a Bluetooth receipt printer whose task is to relieve you of the dock fee. She couldn’t care if you wore your knickers as a courtesy flag quite frankly.
Old 15-11-2021, 15:45   #45

Where is around here
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags