Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 04:27   #1

Unhappy Croatia and VAT

Apologies for yet another VAT question , my boat has been registered and moored from new in Croatia and is therefore non VAT paid . Having bought her as a UK citizen I was told she had to be deregistered then placed on the UK SSR which she now is . The boat continues to be moored in Croatia and will be for the foreseeable future . My question is : if / when Croatia joins the EU in 2013 and my boat remains there , will VAT be liable once in the EU or will it be waived as she always has been in the country ?

Thankyou for any guidance as it involves saving a considerable sum if liable
49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Croatia and VAT

i had my boat in cyprus when it became part of the eu,since it had never been imported into cyprus,or paid local duty pre eu it was deemed vat unpaid,we paid vat on it at a considerably reduced rate as we had all our reciepts showing that the improvements to the vessel during the time it was in cyprus had had the local gst paid on them.

so in theory if you have never paid sales tax on the vessel pre vat it will be deemed vat un paid.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 15:56   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I have a friend in the same position. Unless your boat is Croatian registered you will not gain any concession if and when accedes to the Union. You will be able to pay vat on the depreciated value of the boat however.

Dave
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58   #4

Thankyou for your guidance , I thought as much , start saving then
49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49er View Post
move it to turkey or egypt
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:11   #6

Boat: Elan 434 Impression, Cariad - located Adriatic

Quote:
Apologies for yet another VAT question , my boat has been registered and moored from new in Croatia and is therefore non VAT paid . Having bought her as a UK citizen I was told she had to be deregistered then placed on the UK SSR which she now is . The boat continues to be moored in Croatia and will be for the foreseeable future . My question is : if / when Croatia joins the EU in 2013 and my boat remains there , will VAT be liable once in the EU or will it be waived as she always has been in the country ?

Thankyou for any guidance as it involves saving a considerable sum if liable
We are in the same situation - boat in Dalmatia. I have been told by several people now that the current thinking by Croatian Government is that they will charge full VAT on depreciated value on vessels less than 10 years old. Representations are being made to them by several groups. I am interested in forming a group of owners in similar circumstances - perhaps to be part of a pressure group. The likelihood of thousands of vessels leaving could be counter-productive to the cash they hope to raise. In Malta, when they joined, there was a concessionary rate and the majority of vessels stayed.
sailwithrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 08:33   #7

we are in similar position. boat purchased in 2008 and kept in croatian waters since then. i have written to the croatian government several times and have just had my letters acknowledged. i have also spoken with marina owners and asked them to lobby.
if the recent push to enforce the rules regarding how long a boat and/or its owners can stay in the jurisdiction is any indication, i would not be confident that the government is thinking about the welfare of foreign boat owners.
having said that, i dont think anyone knows what will happen next year at this stage. unless they take a very liberal view on depreciated value, a decision to charge the full rate will result in a lot of boats leaving.
elsinore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 07:05   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Atlantis 6,55 m

Quote:
Probably by now you have learned that Croatian government introduce convenient rule for boat owners in Croatian marinas which have status EU VAT not paid. They are allowed to import boats in Croatia under special conditions from January 1st to May 31st (%5 VAT and 1.7% custom). After Croatian enter in EU which is estimated 01.07.2013 all biats in Croatia will have status EU VAT paid.
maritimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia