Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2009, 06:47   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Cruising Without Insurance

We will be making the jump to Mexico in a few weeks and have carried insurance on our boat since we bought her two plus years ago. I've checked with my carrier(BoatUS) and they want a big amount of money to insure us in Mexico. About $115 every two weeks(as a rider to the price I am already paying which is not cheap) for the duration we will be there plus upping my deductible to 2% from 1%. Plus. they will only cover me till February of 2010. I've checked with other companies and have received quotes of from $1991 to $3500 for a years worth of insurance from other companies here in the US.

I have carried insurance since most marinas require proof of it to even get a slip all the way down the coast. I know I am required to have "Mexican" insurance to cruise in Mexico and the prices I have found ar less than a third of what BoatUS has quoted me. I would have no problem with having it since it is so reasonable.

Is there a problem dropping my BoatUS insurance once I'm out of the US and just having "Mexican" insurance? Do I need to have proof of insurance once I get to other countries as I cruise?
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 07:59   #2

Boat: KP 44
insurance

If you plan on staying in a marina while in Mexico you will need liability insurance, but thats all. We pay under $200.00 per year for basic coverage. They dont seem to care how much liability you carry as long as you have the paper. We have had good luck with www.mexpro.com.

Mike
SV Slacker
Mazatlan, Mx

slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 08:27   #3

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
I can only speak about Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean. If your boat is paid for, then all you need worry about is marinas. If your boat is not paid for then your lender will arrange insurance for you, for a fee.
Some places, St. Barths is one, will require you to sign a form acknowledging your responsiblity.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 09:02   #4

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
You can get inexpensive Mexican Liability Insurance even online at places like https://sb.iigins.com/mexico-wc/quot...&lang=&agtdst= and just print out copies of your policy. Many marinas want this, and if you have an accident the Port Captain will want to see it or hold your boat until things are settled. But it is just liability, and doesn't cover any damage to your boat; thus pretty inexpensive. I never heard of anyone being interested in your hull insurance in Mexico unless you were getting a repair done.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote