Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 11:31   #31

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
so wherever thers a canadian embasy all is good?
thanks
As long as there are no wants or warrents on you
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:53   #32

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I thought there was an international maritime law that permitted a vessel to enter port and stay for a period of time (48hrs) until repairs/nessecary provisioning /watering was completed before having to move on...
The only stipulation being that the authorities were made aware and only the skipper was permitted to land to arrange nessecary's...
I am always amused when I see a reference to "international law". Where is the international court to which one goes to enforce this law? and how long would it take to get there in a yacht? International law can only be an agreement between countries on a matter. It will be interptretted by the individual coutries to suit themselves and it will be enforced by the local officer who is unlikely to be competent with international law, but is more likely to respond better to courtesy, some humility and respect.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:13   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I am always amused when I see a reference to "international law". Where is the international court to which one goes to enforce this law? and how long would it take to get there in a yacht? International law can only be an agreement between countries on a matter. It will be interptretted by the individual coutries to suit themselves and it will be enforced by the local officer who is unlikely to be competent with international law, but is more likely to respond better to courtesy, some humility and respect.
Anytime a treaty is abrogated a country takes a chance that there will be repurcussions. Countries usually take the safety of their citizens very seriously when travelling and if the nation that puts the citizen at risk can be coerced pressure is brought to bear. Most maritime nations respect maritime law and the accepted interpretation because they wish to protect their own citizens. That won't help you when a border/coast guard is sending you back out into the storm but it should make it less likely to happen.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Anytime a treaty is abrogated a country takes a chance that there will be repurcussions. Countries usually take the safety of their citizens very seriously when travelling and if the nation that puts the citizen at risk can be coerced pressure is brought to bear. Most maritime nations respect maritime law and the accepted interpretation because they wish to protect their own citizens. That won't help you when a border/coast guard is sending you back out into the storm but it should make it less likely to happen.
I can give many examples where I person thought that their home country would defend their God given right to do whatever they wanted to do. Only to find that their home country's reasponse was that one must obey the laws of the country that they are visiting.

One singlehander was ordered to leave a country after keeping his boat in their country for eleven years on a 90 day toursit visa, which he renewed by flying home every 90 days to work in the US and returning.

Don't anchor at Scotland Bay in Trinidad before checking in or after checking out.

There was a 90ft crewed yacht that tried to clear into Panama without a Departure clearance from Costa Rico - it was denied entry.

Harbour hopping down the west coast of Mexico I had to check in/out at every harbour, and no two were the same.

That's just a few. Bottom line - it's their country.

Now that we have the US Homeland Security folks giving leasons to other countries, who knows what the new rules are going to be?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:45   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I can give many examples where I person thought that their home country would defend their God given right to do whatever they wanted to do. Only to find that their home country's reasponse was that one must obey the laws of the country that they are visiting.
I would expect that of all countries. International law was what we were discussing which is a different story.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I would expect that of all countries. International law was what we were discussing which is a different story.
Please excuse me for responding to the original subject of this thread.
Old 10-11-2010, 13:32   #37

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
BTW, probably the strictist country in these regards is the US.

Dave
You're kidding right?
Old 10-11-2010, 15:16   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The problem seems to be semantics - "International Law" is not really what it sounds like. It is more like international convention/agreements. As stated by others each "sovereign nation" is just that. Their laws and reg's control all activity inside that country except within another countries Embassy compound. There is little or nothing another country can do to "enforce international law" except go to war - e.g. Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, etc.
- - Few if any cruisers get into enough trouble to be incarcerated in a foreign country. But if you are you will be visited by your Embassy official who will give you the names of local lawyers and let you know they are "rooting" for you, but that's it. You are on your own. Most likely cruisers who get in trouble are just told to sail away by tomorrow or in "x"-days. The local country would rather just get rid of you as quick as possible providing you did not do some "capital" crime. What you want to avoid at all costs is that "Deported" stamp in your passport. That pretty much shuts down any future international travel.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 15:27   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
What about long term sailors who lost citizenship and pasport long ago?

I think here in canada I must come back at least once a year to keep my statue and my pasport is only valide 5 years... so lets say I voyage to Asia and hook there a few years 6-7?
those this mean I cant go anywhere agrownd??? what are the risk..boat siezure? jail? deportation?
Passports can be renewed at Embassy's around the world.... wish I had a statue tho'

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 00:06   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I am always amused when I see a reference to "international law". Where is the international court to which one goes to enforce this law?...
http://www.icj-cij.org/

www.imo.org has mandate from the UN
Old 11-11-2010, 07:45   #41

Zanshin,
This is the same group that comes to agreement with other countries to establish world peace and fairness between all nations, right?
Old 16-11-2010, 14:13   #42

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Many thanks for a VERY usefull thread, I too was going to ask a similar question.

I'm just getting into sailing from motorboats, primarily so I can travel more and hope do do some 'random world explore' type trip in the future. While I understand the importance of planning a route, etc. on a boat you can never plan for all eventualities and getting a Visa for every country that you might have to enter would be not practical so this seems to answer that question quite well.

As a British passport holder then, i'm assuming that so long as I report right away, pay whatever mooring costs may be due, etc. I should have no real trouble in most parts of the world then? Or are there any that you should not go near unless you've been properly cleared in advance?

I understand the US stance in these 'post 9/11' days and i'm sure like me, most members here wouldn't object to having the boat searched if required. A bit of a pain maybe but if you've got nothing to hide.....
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 14:43   #43

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Now that we have the US Homeland Security folks giving leasons to other countries, who knows what the new rules are going to be?
Ain't that the truth. Recently passing through little Guaymas, Sonora airport on several occasions I noticed they have a constant military detachment of half a dozen or so, one with a dog which inspects all people and baggage, and another of them with a "new" gizmo, an 8" long battery/brain as handhold and a 2' wand/antenna that rotates like a devining rod, supposedly toward any drugs or explosives. A new magic gizmo. All this wasted money and manhours for the few planes a day that land. The brave new security world expands apace.

Personally, I've always been fond of the E.B. White, quote, "I believe... that security declines as security machinery expands."
Old 16-11-2010, 17:49   #44
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
there's good info and some stories on "noonsite" (oops) Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 17:58   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Many thanks for a VERY usefull thread, I too was going to ask a similar question.

As a British passport holder then, i'm assuming that so long as I report right away, pay whatever mooring costs may be due, etc. I should have no real trouble in most parts of the world then? Or are there any that you should not go near unless you've been properly cleared in advance?

Sadly, not always true: if you show up in Australia without giving a minimum of 96 hours notice of your arrival to Customs, you are in breach of regs and subject to fairly severe repercussions.

And then the Quarantine folks get you... big bucks for normal working hours, and currently $600 AUD if you arrive outside of 8-4:30 M-F.

Oz is doing it's best to drive cruising sailors away, much to our dismay.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Manly Qld southbound

Tags
customs