Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 03:44   #1

De-Registering in India Anyone????

To the world cruising community, can you unstuck me from this catastrophe?

Well i am a US citizen / offshore sailor that has paid for a 9 meter heavy duty fishing boat that i have modified into a yacht here on the west coat of India in a port town by the name of Mandvi.
I purchased the boat, registered the boat in the US, however the indian government has refused several times to de-register the indian registration because the official transferring of ownership wasen't done correctly and am left stuck with both a US registration and an indian one and have zero clearance or permission to leave the country on my boat. Even after showing them various pictures of my long distance voyages, qualifications, ect they still won't grant me clearance and offer no advice about what to do.

Any ideas anyone?

Anyone out there with a boat in India?

Mike
voyage-maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 04:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: De-Registering in India Anyone????

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyage-maker View Post
To the world cruising community, can you unstuck me from this catastrophe?

Well i am a US citizen / offshore sailor that has paid for a 9 meter heavy duty fishing boat that i have modified into a yacht here on the west coat of India in a port town by the name of Mandvi.
I purchased the boat, registered the boat in the US, however the indian government has refused several times to de-register the indian registration because the official transferring of ownership wasen't done correctly and am left stuck with both a US registration and an indian one and have zero clearance or permission to leave the country on my boat. Even after showing them various pictures of my long distance voyages, qualifications, ect they still won't grant me clearance and offer no advice about what to do.

Any ideas anyone?

Anyone out there with a boat in India?

Mike
hire a customs clearing agent pay a bit of "dash",and a clearance certificate will magically appear
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 04:13   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

May be this helps.

English is not my first language, but I try to communicate.

This approach worked in the UAE to avoid deregistering a sailing yacht from SSR.

A local boat dealer who is registered with the local chamber of commerce produced a notarized original sale invoice for selling the vessel to the buyer. The invoice contained all the details of the boat like hull number, engine number, model year, etc.
The buyer then presents the invoice along with other documents like bill of lading and his identity proofs.

The boat was successfully registered in the UAE with minimum fuss and avoiding the troublesome process of de-registering.

Lootah
Old 29-09-2014, 22:56   #4

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

Voyage maker,

I am from Mumbai India. Anything to do with boats is extremely painful in india. :-)

@Atoll gives you a good advice. Hire a good clearing agent and let him do all the paperwork regards to seagoing clearances. And you stay in the background, invisible. :-)

regards
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 05:09   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

If you have USA registration and all legal methods to leave are gone then I would sail off one night... Preferably to a place like Thailand where they may be more amenable with you not having outbound clearance. Maybe thailand is wrong because they share the Andermans... Maybe Malaysia.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 13:11   #6

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

If you can't sail it out of India, could you ship it?

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
India