Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 09:28   #16

Re: DHS seizes boat because owner won't lie

It seems to me that if the agent had to summon a supervisor to authorize the seizure, and had to explain the trivial reason for doing so, it probably would have got worked out.

It's crazy for the agent alone to have such discretionary powers re seizure, detention, etc.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:31   #17

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

He should have put the right amounts in, signed it and left with his boat.
How simple would that have been.....
Old 22-02-2013, 09:34   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
When dealing with a "peace officer", do as they say or say what they want to hear.

This policy has served me well.

This morning on NPR, there was a story about a woman in China, going to protest some difficulty she had with her local government. The local officials stationed police at the train station whose job was to throw any one in jail coming to protest. She could have protested and maybe gotten redress. But she made the mistake of telling the truth when the police asked if she was coming to protest, she said yes. This despite the common knowledge that a lie would get you by the police. So she spent four years in a labor camp and lost her teeth by having them kicked in because she complained.
In theory law enforcement in this country is supposed to be on the side of the citizens, which is why they swear to uphold the Constitution, which was written to protect us from an out of control government that is in it for themselves. Complying with something that is wrong is the easy way out but will never rid us of the wrong if we always cave in.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:35   #19

It's a lesson for sure. It goes against the grain to sign a doc and verify it's correctness when it not correct and especially when the fix is simple. Yet.... when dealing with govt agents in ANY country , I've found it best to simply smile and play dumb and sign on the line.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 09:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Only if they can come to a consensus which is almost impossible today.
There is nearly universal consensus in America these days that our government is not functioning the way it should, and that things need to change. You are right that there is a lack of consensus about what form those changes should take, but there is definitely consensus that change is needed.

And yet, we still keep re-electing 95% or more of the incumbents every year. Year after year. People SAY that they want change, but they keep on voting for the same people over and over.

What was it that Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over, but expecting the results to change?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:40   #21

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

If you search the name of this guy, "Michael Arrington boat seized" you will see he is using his First Amendment Rights all over the internet, posting this story everywhere.

The only thing I couldn't find was any reputable news reports of the incident...

It would be nice to hear the DHS version, since in most cases there are two sides to a story.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:46   #22

Boat: none yet :(

It is interesting to note that government and bureacracy related subjects and items have increased in frequency over time. Just an observation.

As to this particular incident, I would just sign and get over with that. The potential downside is limited (i.e. nobody will bother you for the foreign exchange difference) vs a costly and unpredictable outcome by insisting on something for which there was a clear sign it won't lead anywhere.

Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 11:14   #23

Boat: grampian 26

It clearly states in the blog post that DHS changed the currency from Canadian to U.S. dollars so the blowback, if any would be on DHS no?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 11:34   #24

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

This will teach the DHS not to mess with a one per center.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 11:38   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I think I met this gal in Roche Harbor a couple times.
Old 22-02-2013, 12:21   #26

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
This will teach the DHS not to mess with a one per center.
I don't really understand this message. Could you clarify for my simple mind:-)
Old 22-02-2013, 12:27   #27

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

1%'R = High end, wealthy, unique, rare & etc.
Old 22-02-2013, 12:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
1%'R = High end, wealthy, unique, rare & etc.
Thanks Delmarrey. I knew what a one percenter was in regards to the term.

"This will teach the DHS not to mess with a one per center."
I replied to the quote with "I don't really understand this message. Could you clarify for my simple mind:-)"

The term 1%er is used in general as a deragatory. often by people talking about entitlements and who should pay. (thinking the 1%er should pay) I was confused because I have no idea why her status in regards to income weighs over right or wrong. Gov should be equally scared to make a mistake with any of the 100% of Americans. They are supposed to be there to protect us. To protect and serve is what i see written. my taxes pay their salaries!

Just was unsure of what gives the impression of this person being a 1%er and what that has anything to do with anything. Any of the 100% of us Americans should be outraged in regards to this scenario. It could happen to anyone if hte story holds true.

Real question is what do I do if it happens to me?

Citizen loozes in the end. Say she hires an atty to figure out how to get it back. she still pays legal fees. does gov reimburse her because they should not have taken it? nope.
Old 22-02-2013, 13:00   #29

they are not all bad. to point a good story...i was out of country....sailing...dove down and got a conch shell....had it on my carry on on the way back into country.....airport securty guy (you know blue shirt...tsa)....took it out of my bag...told me i could not have it on my carry on...asked me what my checked bag looked like...i gave him my name....my bag description...he ran out and put it in my checked bag for me...told me have a safe flight...i got home and it was in there.....some are the good guys...i thanked him profusely as he went way above and beyond and i would never have asked him to do what he volunteered to do...was a great act of kindness.....
Old 22-02-2013, 13:05   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
When dealing with a "peace officer", do as they say or say what they want to hear.

This policy has served me well.

This morning on NPR, there was a story about a woman in China, going to protest some difficulty she had with her local government. The local officials stationed police at the train station whose job was to throw any one in jail coming to protest. She could have protested and maybe gotten redress. But she made the mistake of telling the truth when the police asked if she was coming to protest, she said yes. This despite the common knowledge that a lie would get you by the police. So she spent four years in a labor camp and lost her teeth by having them kicked in because she complained.
We are not in China, though given the short shrift given the Constitution these days, we move closer and closer to a China type tyranny.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote