Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 08:53   #46

Boat: TBD
Re: DHS seizes boat because owner won't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I find it very sad that whenever a story like this happens the internet gov't haters always just take the position that the gov't officals are in the wrong and the unknown poster is right.

Some posters are just 1 short step from the old days of spitting in the faces of soldiers.

I bet in a lot of all these stories of problems and run ins with gov't officals the core problem is the posters own attitude.
If you can lose a boat because of your "attitude", that's pretty far down the path of tyranny.
hblask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 09:03   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
It is usually more to a story than this: Let's hear the other side....
Maybe this was already posted:

The Department Of Homeland Security Is Now Bitching At Me On My Blog | Uncrunched
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 10:08   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
If you can lose a boat because of your "attitude", that's pretty far down the path of tyranny.

Ready, because I don't feel the same! In the end only thing one can really control are one's own actions!

And he didn't "lose" his boat, he just didn't get his way!

For those who feel the US has become just so unjust you are free to move!
Old 25-02-2013, 10:28   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
The other side:
Excerpt:
Quote:
5. Coastal Craft ended up paying for a broker to perform what should have been a personal importation and guess what The value on that entry was EXACTLY the same as on the CBP presented form.
Here is where the other side, DHS character who was there, shows the DHS' ignorance again. The DHS made a mistake again. Coastal Craft, being a Canadian company, presented invoice in CAD. DHS copied the EXACT numbers but substituted USD for CAD. Do they think that was a truthful statement? Do they get it at all?

Ah ... I see ... a "dollar" is a "dollar" is a "dollar" ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 12:55   #50
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Those Coastal Craft boats are fairly pricy. Alloy. A new 40-footer with top-shelf electronics can easily set the buyer back $1,000,000.

NEWS FLASH: The OP has his boat back. The Department Of Homeland Security Is Now Bitching At Me On My Blog | Uncrunched
Old 25-02-2013, 13:35   #51

Boat: OEM, proportional

What effect would the false amount on the document have had? Import duty irregularities, or insurance valuation hassles, or resale problems?
Old 25-02-2013, 13:49   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
What effect would the false amount on the document have had? Import duty irregularities, or insurance valuation hassles, or resale problems?
An IRS excuse for an audit, a no fly designation and an FBI dossier. Don't Laugh!
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 14:00   #53

Boat: OEM, proportional

This kind of thing never happens here in Germany.
Old 25-02-2013, 17:33   #54

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
I'll say.
Old 25-02-2013, 18:00   #55

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't believe anybody here has all the facts--sounds to me like we may never get the true story unless this goes to court, and even then?? However, that doesn't stop folks from spouting off on who is right and who is wrong based on their own personal beliefs. It's a free country, but I personally will withhold judgment without enough facts to go on.
Old 26-02-2013, 03:20   #56

Boat: Catalina 30

A suggestion for those who have proclivities towards flinging a big finger in the eye of authority - do not ever attempt to alter or modify a form unless the instructions say to do so.

If you do not want to sign a form, that is your right, and on the form is the information regarding what will happen. If you alter a form, that information may only be referred to by a statute or regulation - what happens then is often handled by a very different group of humourless people. Altering a form is possibly a criminal issue.

If you do not like what is going on, ask for a supervisor. If that is unsuccessful, ask for the port chief. And, if that is getting you no where ask for the port director. Be sure you know what you are talking about though. Belligerency is not always the same as being right.
Old 26-02-2013, 05:08   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I don't believe anybody here has all the facts--sounds to me like we may never get the true story unless this goes to court, and even then?? However, that doesn't stop folks from spouting off on who is right and who is wrong based on their own personal beliefs. It's a free country, but I personally will withhold judgment without enough facts to go on.
We occasionally ship from Michigan to Windsor. Most of the time there are not any issues at the border. However, if the paperwork isn't in order when the truck reaches the border, that truck isn't crossing into Canada. Depending on the time of day, the shipment may be delayed until the following day.

This seems to be the situation with this guy's boat. The boat arrived, the paperwork was not in order and the boat was not permitted to continue into the US. It wasn't seized by DHS, in my opinion anyway. It seems to have only been delayed one day by customs in order to correct the paperwork. No big deal...it happens all the time.
Anonymous7500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 05:36   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

this is totally stupid. US import is 1.5% on foreign boats maybe less on Canadian boats. Clearly this guys just likes to complain or maybe he had buyers remorse. now he can sue the builder for making a mistake on the paperwork.
Old 03-04-2013, 15:29   #59

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I'm not sure what this story adds other than a bit lurid detail, but I may as well post the link. It may say something about the personal interaction that led to the impasse.

Former Friend of Michael Arrington Says He's Heard Abuse Allegations Before: 'It's Been The Worst Kept Rumor In The Valley for Years'
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 16:14   #60

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I'm not sure what this story adds other than a bit lurid detail, but I may as well post the link. It may say something about the personal interaction that led to the impasse.

Former Friend of Michael Arrington Says He's Heard Abuse Allegations Before: 'It's Been The Worst Kept Rumor In The Valley for Years'
Suggests somewhat of a "control freak" to say the least.
Storm in a tea cup.
Have a happy life Michael.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote