Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2021, 09:20   #1

Did you have to get a formal Tonnage Certificate?

Has anyone had to obtain a formal Tonnage Certificate to register a typlcal cruising catamaran, less than 50 feet overall, in either Canada or the U.S.?

I'm a first time new owner of a Privilege 435 and I'm struggling with registration. Transport Canada is asking me for a formal Tonnage Certificate, which would cost over $3000 to obtain.

When completing the Canadian registration forms I thought almost all cruising sailboats, including mine, would qualify for "Simplified Measurement".

Now looking again at the Canadian form I'm not sure. The form says it applies to "simple multihull vessels of not more than 15 meters in Length Overall, consisting of a flat platform installed on two or more pontoon hulls and having no other spaces that contribute to the volume of the vessel except the pontoons."

The USCG form is very similar, but only asks for deck structure measures "If the volume of the principal deckhouse, cabin or similar structure above the main deck exceeds the hull volume."
RBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 12:23   #2

Re: Did you have to get a formal Tonnage Certificate?

OK, here's what the Transport Canada employee who's working on my registration says:

"The vessel is not eligible for form 4B due to the fact the vessel has enclosed spaces other than the hulls/pontoons which does not comply with the application stipulated in the preface of this form.

You will have to either contact an appointed tonnage measurer or a recognized classification societies appointed as tonnage measurers to be able to provide you with a certificate of tonnage survey."

The implication is that EVERY cruising catamaran registered in Canada would have needed a formal tonnage survey. Is that true??? Did I just miss this???

And what about the U.S. ... have catamaran owners registering with the USCG had to also obtain such a survey?
Old 23-11-2021, 15:00   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

It sounds like something that Privilege should be able to provide, based on the plans they have for the vessel. The contact there is Rob Poirier
rob@privilegecatamaransamerica.com. They handle the US and Canada, according to their website, so they should be familiar with the issue.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 15:09   #4

Thanks! I just emailed Rob. I'll let you know what he says.
Old 25-11-2021, 06:17   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBCurtis View Post
Has anyone had to obtain a formal Tonnage Certificate to register a typlcal cruising catamaran, less than 50 feet overall, in either Canada or the U.S.?

I'm a first time new owner of a Privilege 435 and I'm struggling with registration. Transport Canada is asking me for a formal Tonnage Certificate, which would cost over $3000 to obtain.

When completing the Canadian registration forms I thought almost all cruising sailboats, including mine, would qualify for "Simplified Measurement".

Now looking again at the Canadian form I'm not sure. The form says it applies to "simple multihull vessels of not more than 15 meters in Length Overall, consisting of a flat platform installed on two or more pontoon hulls and having no other spaces that contribute to the volume of the vessel except the pontoons."

The USCG form is very similar, but only asks for deck structure measures "If the volume of the principal deckhouse, cabin or similar structure above the main deck exceeds the hull volume."
BVI registration requires it. It’s a royal pain in the ass to get done. I hated doing it both times.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 06:18   #6

Boat: C&C

Yes you have to obtain a tonnage certificate for your cat, we had to for our 37 footer which we bought in the US and registered in Canada. But $3,000 ???
Who quoted you that? We had ours done in Lauderdale for around $500 in the water. Even if you had to haul out, it could be done in the slings for probably around $600 extra?
I don't believe every boat is generic, so the manufacturer won't be able to supply one? I could be wrong there but it was my understanding that each individual vessel has to be measured.
Where are you located?
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 07:07   #7

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Would think the manufacturer could/would supply that. Presume it is all math off the lines. I'll bet almost any CAD program would automatically do the calcs.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 07:29   #8

There’s a whole thread on this subject. Some disagreement on cats 12m and under (but rule 3.7.2 is clear that Assigned Formal Tonnage can be applied to any vessel 12m and under). Over 12m pretty clear that you need a formal measurement. The actual rules are at TC here, where you can see that simplified only applies to monohulls under 15m and cats with no cabin (pontoon boats). In the referenced thread our own Boatpoker provided the services.

FWIW our own 48’ cat is US documented and we used the self-certified simplified measurement form, as has nearly every other US cat I know. The USCG doesn’t seem too fussed about recreational vessels. There are about 20 of our same model documented (according to the USCG database) and they have tonnages from 7 to 40 because simplified measurement was used and people comprehend the directions differently. 46 U.S. Code § 14511 makes it pretty clear that formal measurement is not required for any pleasure vessel, nor any vessel under 24m/79’.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 07:30   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Did you have to get a formal Tonnage Certificate?

Depends on the registration body. Some require the tonnage cert to be done by about appointed and registered tonnage surveyor. Others let you self calculate

Note a manufacturer can’t provide a tonnage cert. the net tonnes calculation method is typically specific to the registration **

Renember “ tonnage “ has nothing to do with displacement. It’s a computation ( net tonnes ) to determine “cargo space “ and hence traditional port fees

**My yacht is 6 net tonnes under U.K. part 1 registration but 3 tonnes under the Irish ships registration
Old 25-11-2021, 07:32   #10

Boat: C&C

That's the US requirements, he's asking for Transport Canada Registration.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 08:04   #11

OP here.

I’m reconciled to the fact, silly as it is, that any multihull over 12m with any type of deck structure is required by Transport Canada to provide a formal tonnage certificate in order to register the vessel in Canada.

I’m going to abandon my Canadian application (and my CAD $250 fee) and pursue other options that are simpler, faster and less expensive.

Thanks for all of the information and comments.
Old 25-11-2021, 08:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
It sounds like something that Privilege should be able to provide, based on the plans they have for the vessel. The contact there is Rob Poirier
rob@privilegecatamaransamerica.com. They handle the US and Canada, according to their website, so they should be familiar with the issue.
FYI, Rob didn’t respond.
Old 25-11-2021, 08:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
There’s a whole thread on this subject. Some disagreement on cats 12m and under (but rule 3.7.2 is clear that Assigned Formal Tonnage can be applied to any vessel 12m and under). Over 12m pretty clear that you need a formal measurement. The actual rules are at TC here, where you can see that simplified only applies to monohulls under 15m and cats with no cabin (pontoon boats). In the referenced thread our own Boatpoker provided the services.

FWIW our own 48’ cat is US documented and we used the self-certified simplified measurement form, as has nearly every other US cat I know. The USCG doesn’t seem too fussed about recreational vessels. There are about 20 of our same model documented (according to the USCG database) and they have tonnages from 7 to 40 because simplified measurement was used and people comprehend the directions differently. 46 U.S. Code § 14511 makes it pretty clear that formal measurement is not required for any pleasure vessel, nor any vessel under 24m/79’.
Thanks for this. Great to know that the USCG is more rational and is a registration option for me.
Old 25-11-2021, 09:58   #14

You can search the USCG database. If you have your HIN (presume you do from your TC application) enter just the first five characters (1-3 = manufacturer, 4-5 = model) in the HIN box and search. It will return all documented vessels of the same model. You can click on each record to see details, including what tonnage they used and whether it was simplified or formal.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 10:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
You can search the USCG database. If you have your HIN (presume you do from your TC application) enter just the first five characters (1-3 = manufacturer, 4-5 = model) in the HIN box and search. It will return all documented vessels of the same model. You can click on each record to see details, including what tonnage they used and whether it was simplified or formal.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did a search as you indicated and only had one hit. And for some reason not much information on the vessel is shown. Tonnage is "N/A". The only data is HIN, Vessel Flag (Virgin Islands), length and build year. Says "Service Status" is Active.