Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 06:41   #16
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Dinghy Registration

The Florida FWC is super tight with dinghy registration. Last winter they would sit in the harbor at Key West and stop many/ any dinks going to or from dinghy dock. Putting motherships numbers on hull is a big no-no. Vermont told me to do it, and the FWC was quick to tell me I was a liar, and give me a $90 ticket. Its just like having the wrong plate on your car.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:00   #17

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

$90 ticket???!!!! I think I'd contest that one!
In Washington State, It's horse power that gets you - if you are under 10hp - no problem. That must be why they started building 9.9 engines? I havent seen a 10 hp engine in years.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
So it I build a 100-foot boat and get Ben Hur and friends to row it, no motor no sails, I don't have to get it registered? Cool
Apparently so in California. In Florida, though, no--you would have to register it.

As to the original question, in Florida you have 90 days. That applies to both the larger boat, and the dinghy. If the dinghy has no motor, and is less than 16' long, then you don't have to register it at all.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:47   #19

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Maybe Vermont has similar laws to Washington State. In Washington, if you use your motorized under 10 hp dinghy ONLY as a ship to shore vessel you put the mothership's registration numbers on the dinghy with a -1, there is no decal. If you use it for any other purpose you have to purchase its own registration number with decal.

Apparently an emphasis patrol in Olympia in 2009 caused this informative article to be written for the laws in Washington:
48northNovember09

I'm in trouble if I ever go to Florida if the one posters information is correct. I probably don't have any bill of sale or proof of purchase anymore, it has been years since I bought my dinghy, and I didn't have an engine for some years either.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
The Florida FWC is super tight with dinghy registration. Last winter they would sit in the harbor at Key West and stop many/ any dinks going to or from dinghy dock. Putting motherships numbers on hull is a big no-no. Vermont told me to do it, and the FWC was quick to tell me I was a liar, and give me a $90 ticket. Its just like having the wrong plate on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
$90 ticket???!!!! I think I'd contest that one!
In Washington State, It's horse power that gets you - if you are under 10hp - no problem. That must be why they started building 9.9 engines? I havent seen a 10 hp engine in years.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:55   #20

A related question - in California, bought used dinghy and outboard, no title. Is it possible to register and what do I need to do?
Thanks, Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 08:11   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
A related question - in California, bought used dinghy and outboard, no title. Is it possible to register and what do I need to do?
Thanks, Don
I did this. I just took the bill of sale to the DMV, along with the form you can download here Application for Registration Number Certificate of Ownership and Certificate of Number for Undocumented Vessel BOAT 101

No problem. Make a DMV appointment before you go and you'll save tons of time in line.
Old 22-02-2012, 08:23   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Just brought my US documented S/V back from 4 years in West Indies to Florida waters.I remember something about having to register the dinghy even though I dont plan on being in Florida over 90 days.Any thoughts?

It has to be registered if you're going to put an outdoor motor on it. I registered mine without that expectation and was very glad when I had to put a motor on it on very short notice. It was nice to just be able to do it legally.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 08:24   #23

Bash,
Thanks - that looks like it will work. From the form it looks like the owner or dealer just need to sign the form.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 08:46   #24

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Just a thought: One other problem with putting the name of your vessel on the dinghy is that when ashore, everyone there knows YOUR boat is empty.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:23   #25

So what I'm getting from this is that even though my home state may not require me to register my dink in the same way that Fla does... if I'm there even for a short visit, I've got to register the dink in Fla?
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:53   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

If your home state doesn't require registration with numbers and decal like Florida does, you might be able to persuade the water cop to forgo giving you a ticket. Here's what the regs say...

Quote:
Florida recognizes valid registration certificates and numbers issued to visiting boaters for a period of 90 days. An owner who intends to use his vessel in Florida longer than 90 days must register it with a county tax collector. However, he may retain the out-of-state registration number if he plans to return to his home state within a reasonable period of time.
It seems to imply you need to have numbers and a decal from your state, but if you have a title and a copy of your state's applicable requirements, you might be OK. It's hard to tell.

The OP and I had unregistered dinghies and were coming back to the States after a long absence. I think it's clear that in that case we needed to register our dinks in Florida right away.

The only sure way to find out would be to contact the County tax assessors office in the county in which you plan to spend your time. They're the ones that administer the vessel registration regs.

Tags
dinghy, registration