Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2023, 14:12   #1

Dinghy/Tender reg while Sailing Abroad

If I buy a CG Documented vessel and it comes with a dinghy that has been previously Titled, what do I do with the dinghy?

The Title has to be transferred to me but how do I hold Title? It obviously can't be CG Documented, but I can't get a State Title since the vessel isn't in a state... since Delaware isn't an option any more.
Sassarimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 14:40   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Dinghy/Tender reg while Sailing Abroad

For a powered dinghy, generally, you transfer the title to whatever state you use for your domicile, or wherever you're going to keep the dinghy, if you're keeping it in the USA in some other state. Ordinarily you do not have to have the dinghy in state during the registration and titling process. Depending on the state, you may have to pay sales tax.

Generally, in the USA, you have to display a registration decal and number on your dinghy, or you'll get a ticket sooner or later. Out-of-state registration is typically valid for 90 days in a new state with the specifics varying somewhat from place to place. Minnesota, and I believe most other states also, will recognize foreign registration decals for 90 days too.

Outside the USA , the received wisdom is that no one will care, so if the dinghy is outside the USA you could conceivably defer the paperwork until you return the dinghy to the USA. I am not sure what the present situation is in Canada.

For a non-powered (rowing/sailing) dinghy, depending on length and the state you're in, you probably do not need to title or register it. In Minnesota, for example, the limit is 10 feet, anything over that needs registration even if unpowered. Other states generally have a longer length limit.
Old 10-04-2023, 14:43   #3

In my experience, no state will turn down registration fees because of the tiny detail that the vessel is not physically present in that state.

Our dinghy is registered in Texas. We used a relative’s address that was convenient at the time. The dinghy has never been in Texas, and likely never will be. They send us a bill every two years for the fees, and a sticker and registration card when we pay.

Never been an issue.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 15:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
In my experience, no state will turn down registration fees because of the tiny detail that the vessel is not physically present in that state.

Our dinghy is registered in Texas. We used a relative’s address that was convenient at the time. The dinghy has never been in Texas, and likely never will be. They send us a bill every two years for the fees, and a sticker and registration card when we pay.

Never been an issue.
Washington did when I tried to do it. They said you can't register it here if it's not here.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 15:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarimba View Post
If I buy a CG Documented vessel and it comes with a dinghy that has been previously Titled, what do I do with the dinghy?

The Title has to be transferred to me but how do I hold Title? It obviously can't be CG Documented, but I can't get a State Title since the vessel isn't in a state... since Delaware isn't an option any more.
Do nothing. paint the mother ship's name on it. You dont really need a title I dont think. I had this same situation twice. never was a problem in the Caribe or Mexico.
You need it in the US because they want to tax you, give you a decal and then look for the decal even when you move to another state.
If it's listed on your mothership sale agreement, I suppose that is your Bill of Sale. Get a buddy to write you a Bill of Sale with the serial number on it (if the dingy has one) if you want.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, sail, sailing, tender