Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 11:18   #1

Displaying USCG Documentation Number

I've seen previous discussions regarding appropriate methods of displaying Documentation No.'s. Several posts mentioned using vinyl numbers covered with resin.

My question is...what type of resin can you use over vinyl. Several places I've tried, tell me that all of the resins they sell would melt vinyl. Can someone please tell me what product will work?
GlenBSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:21   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
I used a cheap vynyl resin from Ace hardware. Sorry don't have the name. It worked fine though

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:21   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I used West System epoxy over standard vinyl numbers with no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:05   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
i've always glassed a single sheet of fiberglass over the numbers. they show right through.
Old 02-08-2010, 18:35   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
REGISTRATION numbers (from a state) need to be shown on the bow (both sides) in letters and numbers of a specified size.

DOCUMENTATION numbers (from the Coast Guard) do NOT need to be shown on the exterior. Rather, the name and hailing port are on the exterior and the number is permanently attached to the inside in some way.

See here

Item 2 - Registration / Documentation:
Registration or Documentation papers must be on board and available. Documentation numbers must be permanently marked on a visible part of the interior structure. The documented boat's name and hailing port must be displayed on the exterior hull in letters not less than 4 inches in height. To be documented a boat must be 5 net tons or greater.

link http://www.vesselsafetycheck.org/what_is_vsc.asp
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33   #6

Boat: Lagoon 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
REGISTRATION numbers (from a state) need to be shown on the bow (both sides) in letters and numbers of a specified size.
not sure if it applies to other states, but in Florida, if you are a US documented vessel you are required to register and show small sticker, but not required to show state numbers
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:57   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
my boat lives in Maryland. The USCG never gave me any kind of sticker with my documentation - but the Maryland tax folks did and they sure do want you to prove you paid your taxes, whether you register the boat with them or not (I didnt - you can just do the coast guard documentation instead of state registration if you want but you still have to pay the tax)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation