Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 19:51   #301

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Do the potty police have science on their side?

I believe that it has been pointed out before but here goes, the No Discharge Zone is only going to work if the boaters of the region voluntarily comply as it is virtually impossible to police with any consistency, regardless of how many rules and regulations are created. The suggestion that effective treatment solutions be fitted would in my opinion be far more beneficial to the environment that a plethora of difficult to enforce rules and regulations.
My interest in this topic is that here in Australia there is a definite movement (pardon the pun) to follow suite and blame the boaters.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 19:52   #302

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Meanwhile the Chesapeake Bay is slowly coming back, with crabs and even oysters making consistent gains. But apparently the Bay itself is not a NDZ. Go figure . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 20:09   #303

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Meanwhile the Chesapeake Bay is slowly coming back, with crabs and even oysters making consistent gains. But apparently the Bay itself is not a NDZ. Go figure . . . .
For crabs and oysters to flourish they need the right nutrients.

Less rubber, oil, plastic and silt off the roads and more poo from cities and boats.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 20:14   #304

In fact if they truly cared about the environment they would re-allocate the potty police to night shift road cleaning machines.
Old 24-10-2018, 20:17   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I believe that it has been pointed out before but here goes, the No Discharge Zone is only going to work if the boaters of the region voluntarily comply as it is virtually impossible to police with any consistency, regardless of how many rules and regulations are created. The suggestion that effective treatment solutions be fitted would in my opinion be far more beneficial to the environment that a plethora of difficult to enforce rules and regulations.
My interest in this topic is that here in Australia there is a definite movement (pardon the pun) to follow suite and blame the boaters.
In the real world. But in some peoples' worlds the creation of a NDZ in & of itself stops all overboard discharge. Given that "logic," it doesn't matter whether boater sewage is treated or not because none of it is permitted to be discharged overboard. Is this really what we've been reading??
Old 24-10-2018, 20:20   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
In fact if they truly cared about the environment they would re-allocate the potty police to night shift road cleaning machines.
All too many these days merely want other people to believe they care about the environment. It's a sanctimony thing, and gives them something to make them feel useful I suppose.
Old 24-10-2018, 21:28   #307
cruiser

Coprophobia:

Sufferers of this fear experience anxiety even though they realize their fear is irrational. They go out of their way to avoid coming into contact with feces or sometimes even seeing feces. Fear of feces is termed "coprophobia," a word derived from the Greek "kopros" (dung) and "phobos" (fear).
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 22:14   #308
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
For crabs and oysters to flourish they need the right nutrients.

Less rubber, oil, plastic and silt off the roads and more poo from cities and boats.
night soil

/ˈnīt ˌsoil/

noun

human excrement collected at night from buckets, cesspools, and outhouses and sometimes used as manure.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 00:47   #309

"Oil leaked from cars is among the major contributors to water pollution, according to the Washington State Department of Ecology in its website post "Car Maintenance." Each year, people spill 180 million gallons of used motor oil into lakes and rivers, making it the biggest contributor to oil pollution in those types of waterways. Even if you're not near a stream, rain can wash oil into storm drains, where it travels to waterways. Because motor oil and water do not mix, the oil takes a long time to disappear. As seen in massive tanker spills, oil can harm plants, kill animals and adhere to any substance it touches. Other engine fluids that spill can also contribute to the pollution problem."

As I said - potty police should be allocated to cleaning the roads.
Old 25-10-2018, 05:19   #310

Quote:
Yes!

Rail all you want against gummint and potty police and regulations, but something's working in the Chesapeake Bay, somehow, with the choices being made. Not perfect, but going in the right direction, despite small pockets of disagreement.

And coprophiliacs need to accept that their preferences aren't universally shared.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 05:21   #311

Quote:
"Oil leaked from cars is among the major contributors to water pollution, according to the Washington State Department of Ecology in its website post "Car Maintenance." Each year, people spill 180 million gallons of used motor oil into lakes and rivers, making it the biggest contributor to oil pollution in those types of waterways. Even if you're not near a stream, rain can wash oil into storm drains, where it travels to waterways. Because motor oil and water do not mix, the oil takes a long time to disappear. As seen in massive tanker spills, oil can harm plants, kill animals and adhere to any substance it touches. Other engine fluids that spill can also contribute to the pollution problem."

As I said - potty police should be allocated to cleaning the roads.

The correct answer there is less cars, or at least more of them being electric (no motor oil), but I suspect you don't wanna hear that.
Old 25-10-2018, 05:23   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Yes!

Rail all you want against gummint and potty police and regulations, but something's working, somehow, with the choices being made. Not perfect, but going in the right direction, despite small pockets of disagreement.

And coprophiliacs need to accept that their preferences aren't universally shared.
I'm sure it's reducing the 0.0017% contributed by boaters by 0.0001% that made all the difference.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 05:58   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'm sure it's reducing the 0.0017% contributed by boaters by 0.0001% that made all the difference.

It's all part of the package.

I grant you that allowing cruisers with Electro-Sans or whatever an exemption to dump in an NDZ wouldn't have much impact, but if they get an exemption, then who's next?

The most recent doc i linked to, and several others, showed that a significant majority of all boaters surveyed were accepting of the NDZs and intended to comply.

Can't please everybody, of course.
Old 25-10-2018, 06:26   #314

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's all part of the package.

I grant you that allowing cruisers with Electro-Sans or whatever an exemption to dump in an NDZ wouldn't have much impact, but if they get an exemption, then who's next?

The most recent doc i linked to, and several others, showed that a significant majority of all boaters surveyed were accepting of the NDZs and intended to comply.

Can't please everybody, of course.
In the 50 years or so that ElectroSans have been an acceptable alternative, there has been no movement of any sort toward that slippery slope you refer to. No one is next. It's been static. The slope has been in the other direction -- removing alternatives, not adding them.

The survey conclusion is pretty obvious. If 95% (probably higher than that) of boaters have holding tanks, and are therefore not impacted by an NDZ, then of course 95% of boaters think it's a great idea. It would be better to ask the 5% that would have a huge retrofit expense what THEY think of it. Everyone is in favor of rules that someone else has to pay for!
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:48   #315
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
I've never seen actual turds either. Or even TP.
Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island, British Columbia. We were anchored on a brilliant sunny day. Looking over the side into crystal clear water, the bottom of the harbour was liberally coated with sheets of toilet paper...it put the idea of swimming out of my mind, anyway. The mussels and barnacles were particularly huge around there.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc