Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:28   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Do You Always Show an Anchor Light When Anchored?

Zeehag, my guess would be that if a mexican fishing boat t-boned a US sail boat which had anchored without anchor light, the Mexican authorities would be all over that boat citing anchor light regulations.
Like most things, the rules can get ignored until it all goes tits up
Cheers
Nigel
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00   #62

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have seen NO ONE detained nor even looked at twice for failing to use anchor lights in mexico.
And you probably won't, until there is an incident involving a collision and the anchored vessel isn't properly lighted... Espeically, if it is between a foreign flagged vessel and a Mexican citizen.

IMHO the choice between an anchor light or the possiblity of a Mexican Jail... I'll flip the switch every time!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:22   #63

Anchor light on at night for legal reasons, no matter how small. If you really want to be seen you need a light lower down that shines over the deck/cockpit etc. Most any light further up gets lost in the shore lights or stars.... especially by some drunk idiot in a 500 hp cigarette on his way home from the Tiki bar...!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:12   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Zeehag, my guess would be that if a mexican fishing boat t-boned a US sail boat which had anchored without anchor light, the Mexican authorities would be all over that boat citing anchor light regulations.
Like most things, the rules can get ignored until it all goes tits up
Cheers
Nigel
"And you probably won't, until there is an incident involving a collision and the anchored vessel isn't properly lighted... Espeically, if it is between a foreign flagged vessel and a Mexican citizen."

try sailing here before making judgementalizations. the capitans inmexico tske their jobs very seriously, and do not run over sailboats or other craft in anchorages. even the pangeros after many mexican sodapops(cervezas) are btter at boat handling than many of the cruisers i have met frim usa and canada.
i keep lights in my cockpit and mainmast so they can see i am still inthe anchorage. is my choice. i have many friends who drive pangas for fishing for a living and i know fishing boat drivers---give them credit for brains--they are not 50 or 100 ton wannabes-they are 1600 ton masters and proud of their licensure and want to keep same-that doesnt happen with collisions.

be smart and light your cockpit where the pangeros look for lighting --they dont look up, they look for lights at their eye level.

unless you are actively cruising here, you do not know what is reality. come out to play then make silly remarks about mexican prison for those not using anchor lights--you will find many cruisers not using any. pangeros know where those folks are---they go out and come back in same day, so they are aware of yur presence. they are not stupid nor unobservant. they make their living on the sea.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45   #65

I dont know what Mexico you're in, but I've had a shrimper anchor right on top of me in Mex. (It wasnt all that bad, after trading a pack of cig's and a loaf of bananna bread for 5 lbs of big prawns, we just moved a little) In La Paz a steel fishing boat anchored right in front of my buddies boat. First strong blow and he was moving taking my buddies boat with him. We caught the boat before it hit the beach, but the whole anchor setup was lost. The Port Captain dilly dallied. But once my buddie went to Tourism (they hate bad press!) They bought him a new anchor rig. didnt help with the scarred hull though.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:07   #66

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Two winters ago while anchored in Mazatlan my boat was very nearly hit and damaged by the harbour patrol boat (Navy?)towing another boat which had dragged anchor.I had my anchorlight on as they proceeded to tow the boat right into my bow.Luckily a fellow cruiser was on towed boat assisting,between the two of us we managed to fend off at last moment,before my headstay was about to be ripped out.The flashing red and blue lights shining in windows was what got me on deck in a hurry!
Old 06-06-2012, 13:08   #67
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
---give them credit for brains--they are not 50 or 100 ton wannabes
Aha, 50 or 100 ton masters does not have a brain...?

What is your beef with guys or girls who holds a license, just jealous ?
Old 06-06-2012, 13:45   #68

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus
So they stick a little white light on top of my mast and tell me to switch it on a night so I can sleep soundly and not get run over by a supertanker.

Now I feel really safe.

The trouble is most places we anchor have background lights and I doubt anyone would see our light against the background.

Oh I dutifully switch it on and waste my hard earned power that could otherwise have been keeping my beer cold but

When do you use your anchor light?

Do you use it when you are anchored in a marina or behind a breakwater and

What is the difference between a boat anchored and a boat tied to a mooring buoy?
Yes always regardless with the hook or tied to a ball.
Old 06-06-2012, 13:53   #69
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Do you always show an anchor light when anchored?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I suggest you get a copy of rules of the road or other suitable training book as you might select for receiving a coast guard credential or other similar documents. In there you will learn all about anchor lights, mooring fields, nav lights, fog signals, horn signaling, rights of way, identification of vessels at night, navigation aids, charting, dead reconing and much other useful data to keep you safe and to help you avoid the fickle finger salute.
He has IRPCS onboard already and knows then fairly well, what about answering the question..
Quote:
So why don't you have to show one when moored up to a buoy.
Old 06-06-2012, 14:19   #70

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We always use an anchor light if we are anchored or are on a mooring.
Old 06-06-2012, 14:20   #71

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

My sailing is done on a lake. When we are out at night we always have things lit up. Too many fast boats ripping and running...and drinking. I came very close to running into a sailboat one night while on my powerboat. We were cruising along probably 20 MPH and dead ahead with his stern facing me was a 20 something footer with the sails down, blue hull and nav lights barely shining. I had time to steer around him but barely. As I went around I could hear their radio blaring and crazy laughter. If they weren't drunk they were certainly oblivious to their surroundings.
Old 06-06-2012, 15:03   #72

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The Law on Anchor lights are The Inland Rules specify that any vessel under 50 meters (164.1') at anchor must exhibit a white 360-degree light where it can be seen and have a two-mile visibility.

Florida state recommends the light be as far forward as practical. While is is commonly done, it is not required to be mounted at masttop. But if it is not on the highest point of the vessel it must be mounted so it can be seen 360 degs.

A 360 deg white light that can be seen for 2 miles IS your anchor light. Some of the brighter solar lights meet this requirement. Wherever it is mounted as long as it can be seen 360 degs.

The low cost and self powering of these lights make it a no brainer.
Old 06-06-2012, 16:04   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm compelled to go back to the issue often sited concerning the masthead anchor light being "useless", "too high to notice" or "mistaken for a star". I'm all for bright lights lower, but it's important to consider that a light at the eye level of an approaching helmsman will remain without relative motion compared to the background lights and therefore possibly unnoticed. Parallax is essential in the perception of the distance of lights. This means that it's best to have lights far apart. Either high and low or bow and stern, have lights that will express a relative motion when approaching. Nothing does this better than a high masthead light that will race across the sky when you get close.
Old 06-06-2012, 16:38   #74
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

not jealous--i respect folks who do not bluster nor jerk their way because of a 50 or 100 ton alleged license that makes em think they know more than anyone else.. the mexicapitans i know are 1600 ton and better. they have respect for other boats and dont act like jerks on the seas. have yet to see any of them act in unsafe manner. but then i dont go to la paz or other baja places.
whatsaa matter, csy man, ye got a 50 tonner and dont know how to act in public?? granted, SOME act like humans, but for the most part, the 50 and 100 tonners i met have severe attitude problems.

and , in case ye didnt know how to read, i did say i keep a lit cockpit and mainmast when in an anchorage.
Old 06-06-2012, 16:43   #75

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Anchor Light = A light that is shown at night when at anchor.

Er, yes I do then. If you got enough power to run a fridge, i'm pretty sure you'll have enough for one silly little bulb that could one day be the difference between your insurance paying out or not should anything happen.

What's the next question, "do you show nav lights when sailing at night?" That would be almost as daft.

Tags
anchor