Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 10:05   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Document storage and protection

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this was the right spot to put this, but I'm curious if people have good systems/tools to protect and store their important documents, eg. USCG Documentation, bill of sale, title, registration, etc. Any suggestions for waterproof folders, binder inserts, etc?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 11:08   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Document storage and protection

I keep the USCG documentation, all radio licenses, operator certificates, insurance in a water proof container that I keep in the abandon ship bag. I don't remember the brand. I also have put each of them in a sheet protector. Important documents that don't need to be on the boat at all times are in the safe deposit box. On crossings and for international travel passports drivers license and credit cards go in this container.
Old 13-03-2021, 11:53   #3

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

I used to use a simple document pouch, but a) the elastic closure kept stretching; and b) it wasn't even remotely water resistant.

So I bought one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L59P847/

It isn't submersion-proof, but I figure that isn't really a necessity, while fire- and splash-resistance were useful. The zipper closure won't wear out and let my papers fly around. Like Gudgeon, I put important stuff like the USCG doc, radio license, etc. in document sleeves. This pouch lives in the file drawer at the Nav station.

Passports, MMCs and cash are in a small drawer safe like this: https://smile.amazon.com/7730-Parago...dp/B009L4HJ6O/ that's bolted inside a locker. I used a small, brightly-colored neoprene zipper case for all that stuff.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 03:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I like Pelican cases for the ultimate in rugged, waterproof, floating protection. Passports, SS cards, licences, spare cash go in one.
I bought a plastic file box with a latching lid from Staples for things I didn't want to fold. I keep current paperwork in one folder (permits/visas, etc for the country I'm in) Boat docs in another, and obsolete (papers from a country I have departed) in a third.

Tags
men, rot, storage