Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 09:18   #31

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
No biggie for me.
My Jon boat is not documented.
I carry the registration in my wallet (folded X 4) = pain in butt.

If I made a copy on my fancy-dancy office printer on some fancy-dancy paper, I doubt the average govt. employee (especially now since there are so many, so quickly "trained up" and given a uniform/authority) could tell it from the real one anyway.
If they get a hissey, they get a hissy.
Then I will then dig deep (takes a while to get into the safe ) and get it out.
In the mean time I am positive they will have called whomever it is they call and all will be well.

As far as my opinion of the "courtesy" part of the back of the form, I think someone would be able to start with that and end up being the the owner of your boat. Small chance I agree, but some criminals are smarter than some clerks.

IMO!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:22   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
GreatKetch:

Thank you.
Part of the "fun" in a forum is seeing what people do.
They interpret the rules/laws for themselves.
Human nature I guess to judge ones self - and others too!!

Otherwise the answer to the original post would have been easy.

Yes.

No.

We humans think we are so smart!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:06   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Part of the "fun" in a forum is seeing what people do.
They interpret the rules/laws for themselves.
Human nature I guess to judge ones self - and others too!!

Otherwise the answer to the original post would have been easy.

Yes.

No.

We humans think we are so smart!

Been following this "debate" - and since only talking about within the US, no point in me adding anything........

As indicated, their are things we should do and things we do do.....and do do sometimes means trouble

But everyone gets to make their own judgement call on acceptable level of "do do" risk

In the UK the old style Yacht Registration "Blue Book" has long since been replaced by a laminated A4 Certificate....which to all practical purposes is an improvement, as it's made of paper and kept on a boat

But the old "Blue Book" complete with Copper Plate style handwriting was a thing of beauty to hold and admire........and each smelled of a history of long forgotten voyages to distant shores by all fellow ships of Empire - from the smallest yacht to the largest Ocean Steamer, of shared traditions and of daring do in foreign shores, and of times long since passed - but not quite forgotten in the collective memory......and of an approach to the world where the Immigration clearance procedures could, if "neccessary" , involve waving an impresssive looking document at a local official to be accepted on the basis that any country that was capable of issuing such an impressive looking item was surely not one that a minor official in a foreign country would wish to trouble with.....the "Blue Blue" even looked like it was backed up by a Gun Boat in the morning. Happy Days

A laminated A4 Certificate is however sadly appropriate.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:27   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But the old "Blue Book" complete with Copper Plate style handwriting was a thing of beauty to hold and admire........and each smelled of a history of long forgotten voyages to distant shores by all fellow ships of Empire - from the smallest yacht to the largest Ocean Steamer, of shared traditions and of daring do in foreign shores, and of times long since passed - but not quite forgotten in the collective memory......and of an approach to the world where the Immigration clearance procedures could, if "neccessary" , involve waving an impresssive looking document at a local official to be accepted on the basis that any country that was capable of issuing such an impressive looking item was surely not one that a minor official in a foreign country would wish to trouble with.....the "Blue Blue" even looked like it was backed up by a Gun Boat in the morning. Happy Days

Well, you sold me!

Do I have to bring the Tom Lack catamaran back to the UK to get one? I could wave it any anyone, and demand satisfaction:

*Yachties
*Harbor Patrol (Mall Security)
*People who anchor too close
*Customs
*Immigration
*People in West Marine who help guys who are "just looking" at electronics and comparing features when I have cash in my hand to buy one, just because I didn't dress up for them.

Fun!

I could even use it to deliver a firm, but gentle smack across the face to "bad" people who discredit my honor or the honor of my vessel.

Wow... these guys knew how to do things right!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:52   #35

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
ahh the good old days

I think I'll print up my own

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15   #36

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
something like this. Note the words "pass without any hindrance". Now that's a document

A Fine Early 19th Century American Ships Passport Signed by President James Madison May 16, 1809|Antique Paintings, Maps, Documents, Photos

signed by James Madison... that should give the coasties/authorities something to think about.

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 18:20   #37

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
And honestly if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
Thank you!
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 03:16   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKetch View Post
Laminating the original is not a good idea, it disables the security inks used in the original paper.
A plastic sleeve from which the document can be removed is the best solution.
Make certain you store your documents in “Archival” plastic sleeves.

Plastic enclosures are safe for documents ONLY if they are made of polyester, polypropylene, or polyethylene.

Other plastics are not chemically stable and will release damaging acids over time.
Especially dangerous is PVC (polyvinylchloride) commonly found in cheap binders (it emits hydrochloric acid over time).

Multiple documents, stored together, should be interleaved with acid-free paper to prevent acid migration from one document to another.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 08:56   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord, I'll take your word about hydrochloric acid but PVC binders and pages more commonly bleed uncured vinyl chlorides, the actual plasticizers in the plastic. That "glues" them to laser toner (it acts the same as the fuser oil in copiers and toners) and makes other problems.

There was, fwiw, a major national checking scam in the US 15?20? years ago, with people soaking checks in acid (battery acid, I think) and then encashing them. The result was that the check literally disintegrated while being transported and cleared, leaving nothing except a brown "burn" on the adjoining checks in the stack--so it was never actually debited form the issuing account. The banks never really wanted to talk about what was going on--but it was big for a couple of years.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation