Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2008, 20:31   #16

Hate the idea getting rid of the boat and going back to Europe. The dollar is getting stronger against euro,-european boats looks cheaper. And the cruising cost is very expensive. And not that interesting,- since I came from there.
Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 20:32   #17

Boat: Ericson 25
Romas,

Could you sail back to the country of your origin and start from there? Just a thought.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack
Pappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 20:35   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
I want to address two posts:

Chuck: With the Mexicans don't assume that you don't need clearance from your last port. ALL rules in Mexico are subject to change without notice. It's been a while since I've been there on a boat but it was a simple thing for me, in Key West at the time, to go to the Coast Guard and get a "courtesy" clearance. They knew what I needed and I was in and out of the office in about 20 minutes.

BeBe: Again, it's been a while since I was out cruising, but my boat at the time, REGISTERED in the State of Florida, presented no problems in Mexico, Belize or Guatemala. None. Entered and cleared each of them without hassle.

Here's a tip I got from a friend with extensive cruising experience in the Caribbean,
Central America and Europe, but especially good in Mexico and Guatemala...Go to Office Depot and get them to make a stamp for you with the name and official number of the vessel on it. They make stamps that emboss the paper. Take it with you when you go through the paperwork two-step ashore. Everything that THEY stamp, You stamp with yours. They love it! No kidding! I only had a rubber stamp but when I used it right after they used theirs the look on their faces always said "here's someone who knows the drill." It was always difficult not to laugh.
It has been a long time since you were out there. It is a different world. First, out friend obviously can't go to the coast guard or anyone else for clearance in his situation. No country we have entered directly from the United States ask or expects a clearance form the US because they know it is not issued to US vessels. And as far as stamps, no one has used them in any of the areas we have cruised for a very long time and most officials would probably not accept them since there is no place for them on the entry forms and the only stamps they are interested in are their own. Once upon a time they were a good idea but that time has passed. And we have just spent a substantial amount of time cruising Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. We spent quite a bit of effort working with the authorities to get the Mexican Port Captains in Isla Mujeres to comply with the new Mexican Regulations for boats checking into the country.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 05:58   #19

Boat: Chung hwa Magellan 36' S/V Q-wave
If you have a boat with a usa state registration. You will need to send a form letter to the US Coast Guard and Get a Release of registration to sale or Re-flag in another
country. Also if you go to stay in Mexico you are supose to have a import certificate filed with marina and port authority. But many dont bother with this due to the Good ole boy thing. Though this is fading fast. What Americans got away with 10 years ago doesnt really get you anyplace today.
marlborosounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 06:27   #20
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I wonder if you might be better off selling the boat to a US citizen. Then research to find a country (or maybe your country of origin?) to emigrate to, then buy the boat back. Lot's of variables there. Import taxes, etc.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 15:12   #21

One thing became clear - " I'm not sure about anything". The more I read this forum,-the more I'm confused.
There lots of people who buy boats abroad and sail them home. Should be some simple way to do that?
Old 28-11-2008, 15:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romas View Post
One thing became clear - " I'm not sure about anything". The more I read this forum,-the more I'm confused.
There lots of people who buy boats abroad and sail them home. Should be some simple way to do that?

Yes they do this all of the time but those folks are not in this country illegally. They come and get their boats and take them where ever after entering the US legally and leaving legally. Perhaps you can return home, re-enter the US legally, pick up your boat and be on your way.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 28-11-2008, 17:33   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Given you don't know where you are going at this time it's a complicated situation. Your current boat registration is legal, but you will need to register it some place else eventually. The rules for doing so have nothing at all to do with being in the US illegally. Your boat however becomes the problem since it needs a legal registration just as you need proper visas and documents for yourself. Once you leave the US the state registration expires in some period of time. Your own legal status is not tied to the boat but having an improperly registered vessel makes a legal problem where you end up. Given you may not be a legal resident there it complicates your life to have a boat you can not prove proper ownership.

There isn't all that much wrong with being an illegal alien but having an illegally registered boat might be. The good news is if you sail off from US waters you no longer have any problems what so ever with the US government. They won't chase after you unless you have been involved in criminal activities. You then become an illegal alien in another country with a an undocumented boat. They may presume the boat is stolen and toss you in jail but they won't be sending you back to the US. If you become a problem for someone it may complicate the matter even more.

If you choose to live beyond the reach of the law then it comes with some understanding that you can't suddenly have it both ways. All this really does not matter where you are now but more about where you are going and only after you get there. It's only if someone asks that you even have the potential of a problem. Maybe they won't.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 17:43   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

There isn't all that much wrong with being an illegal alien but having an illegally registered boat might be.

If you choose to live beyond the reach of the law then it comes with some understanding that you can't suddenly have it both ways. All this really does not matter where you are now but more about where you are going and only after you get there. It's only if someone asks that you even have the potential of a problem. Maybe they won't.
Ain't America a great county?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 19:19   #25

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
The only place I have ever heard about giving people grief about state registrations were the French islands of St. Marten and Martinique. They were fining people for improper documentation.

And the US CG will issue you a clearance for outbound transit. It's just not required for US citizens when leaving, but they will certainly do it for you.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 19:22   #26

Evan, Sure he can show up and say, Well, I am not in this country legally but would you please give me a clearance for my boat to leave.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 28-11-2008, 21:18   #27

Looks like we a getting to something.
So, everything is not that bad. Below is the list of countries in the region I do not need visa to enter:
Belize
Dominic Republic
Ecuador
Guatemala;
Honduras;
Columbia
Costa Rica;
Mexico
Nicaragua;
Panama;
Peru;
El Salvador;
Trinidad and Tobago
Venesuela;
And all commonwealth islands belonging to UK and France,- in these places I can stay as long as I want,- no sure about work-will have to do more research.
Since last month I don't need a viza to travel to US, but that doesn't apply to me,- since I'm already messed up.
Once I done traveling I can just sell the boat and fly home.

Therapy,
US is a great country. I have been cross country semi truck driver. Have seen it all. And I really surprised how much help I'm getting from people on this forum.
Old 28-11-2008, 21:32   #28

Boat: Chung hwa Magellan 36' S/V Q-wave
Romas, Why dont you just cross over into mexico, Get a turist visa or file for fm3. Send for the boat or re enter into usa legally and sail the boat down. file for import cert. wait the weather out then float home. Mexico isnt going to bother you if you have a current passport. they wont look to see if you have a exit stamp from usa.
They will just stamp you when you enter as a turist.
marlborosounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 18:11   #29

I listened to your advises, did some research online and here is what I came up to:
since I'm EU citizen and I have valid passport, I can get Cayman Island registration on my name ( not company name). I believe if I use just state registration to get to Caymans, I will be able to change it.
Anybody knows if I have to pay VAT depending on boat value, or it's taxes free.
Not sure about others Great Britain, France or Holland overseas territories. Do in any of these places applicable VAT or not? If I sail to Europe ( "if" -, but that's not gonna happen)-no matter for how long I stay- I have to pay VAT. What about all these Carribean overseas territories?
Old 30-11-2008, 18:35   #30

Still like the idea of state registration,- much cheaper!

Tags
documentation