Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 14:33   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Documenting Cal 2-27... Tonnage?

I am thinking about getting my old Cal 2-27 documented. Currently it is under Louisiana registration but I plan on getting a COD. I haven't hauled her out but just scaling the line drawings I came up with 5.3 net tons using the Simplified Measurement system. Has anybody else here applied for a Certificate of Documentation for a 2-27, and was your tonnage calculation pretty close to mine?
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:31   #2

Re: Documenting Cal 2-27... Tonnage?

The CG doesn't really care about accuracy here. Guess on the low side because some fees around the world are based on the tonnage.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 18:22   #3

USCG tonnage has no relation to the "weight" of the vessel. You don't need to haul or weigh the boat.
Tonnage is determined by a formula based on internal volume of the boat, minus tankage volume. Each 40 cubic feet is one ton.
A rough guess is that your Cal 2-27 would be well under 10 tons.
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 18:54   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The USCG document center estimated mine at 10 -12 tons but it's only 8 tons in reality. They don't measure freeboard.

Just fill out the MSC form and they'll do the rest.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailronin View Post
USCG tonnage has no relation to the "weight" of the vessel. You don't need to haul or weigh the boat.
Tonnage is determined by a formula based on internal volume of the boat, minus tankage volume. Each 40 cubic feet is one ton.
A rough guess is that your Cal 2-27 would be well under 10 tons.
LOL! I know that... in my original post I stated that I had already done a preliminary estimate by scaling the line drawing of the boat. And actually, it is LxDxB (in feet and 10ths) x .5 for a sailboat with fin keel, x .9 for inboard engine, / 100 so no, using the CG's Simplified Measurement System, it is not 40 cubic feet per ton. For my boat it is 45.

There were a lot of these boats built, and so I simply want to make sure that my claimed tonnage is in line with everybody else's who has documented their Cal 2-27 before I put in the application. As a life-long professional mariner, I have been filling out and submitting paperwork to the USCG for my entire adult life, and I have learned the importance of getting all the tees dotted and eyes crossed. And BTW, no, I have no plans to "weigh" my boat! The reason I need to haul it out is for a bottom job, and it will be my opportunity to take proper measurements, too.

Thanks everyone, for all the replies. I will just go with my measurements and call it good.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:15   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster
getting all the tees dotted and eyes crossed.
My eyes go crossed once in awhile too.

Tags
cal