Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 00:05   #16

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Re: Dodgy Gas Compliance certificate

Maybe I can help some of you understand this.
In Queensland as I think all other states of Aus you need a gas certificate to change the Dept of Transport registration of the boat into your name the certificate usually lasts 30 days so it has in this case nothing to do with the original owner.These certificates are written out by authorised Gas compliance people who are the same guys who do houses and RVs and cost about $150 to $ 170 Aud simple ring someone they come and inspect if OK write cert.
If the boat is an import unless it has been changed the piping is very possibly none compliant to Aus standards.Im certainly no expert but think it need to be all copper.
I have had a shonky Cert issued on a used Caravan I purchased from a dealer but only discovered weeks later when I had a problem with the gas fridge and stove .Knowing the dealer always used the same certifyer I rang the dealer and suggested maybe they did not actually look at the van and if they made good the problems I would go away quietly if not we'll I would start making a noise.They fixed it.
If I were you seeing you have the certificate I would contact the guys who issued it and tell them about what another gas fitter has said about your boat.
But I must ask unless you have moved areas why did you not use the gas guy who issued the certificate?
If it really is the piping as it is a gig job I would be going hard after all involved if it's simply the regulator etc change it yourself and move on.
As for the broker I have no clue if you could implicate him in the chain of responsibility but I would be quite sure he would be using the gas fitter regularly and would almost certainly know the bigger picture of the gas setup of your purchase.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 00:52   #17

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Maybe I can help some of you understand this.
In Queensland as I think all other states of Aus you need a gas certificate to change the Dept of Transport registration of the boat into your name the certificate usually lasts 30 days so it has in this case nothing to do with the original owner.These certificates are written out by authorised Gas compliance people who are the same guys who do houses and RVs and cost about $150 to $ 170 Aud simple ring someone they come and inspect if OK write cert.
If the boat is an import unless it has been changed the piping is very possibly none compliant to Aus standards.Im certainly no expert but think it need to be all copper.
I have had a shonky Cert issued on a used Caravan I purchased from a dealer but only discovered weeks later when I had a problem with the gas fridge and stove .Knowing the dealer always used the same certifyer I rang the dealer and suggested maybe they did not actually look at the van and if they made good the problems I would go away quietly if not we'll I would start making a noise.They fixed it.
If I were you seeing you have the certificate I would contact the guys who issued it and tell them about what another gas fitter has said about your boat.
But I must ask unless you have moved areas why did you not use the gas guy who issued the certificate?
If it really is the piping as it is a gig job I would be going hard after all involved if it's simply the regulator etc change it yourself and move on.
As for the broker I have no clue if you could implicate him in the chain of responsibility but I would be quite sure he would be using the gas fitter regularly and would almost certainly know the bigger picture of the gas setup of your purchase.
Chris
You dont need anything to change boat registration to Tasmania. No inspection, no nothing
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:40   #18

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

The broker "commissioned and provided the gas certificate" so we are dealing with Queensland businesses. That makes it a dodgy gas certificate possibly purchased with a slab of beer.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
The broker "commissioned and provided the gas certificate" so we are dealing with Queensland businesses. That makes it a dodgy gas certificate possibly purchased with a slab of beer.
Until we hesr from the OP, 'provided the gas certificate' simply means the broker handed it over along with all the other paper work. I did not see in the origional OP anything suggesting the broker organised a gas fitter to provide a certificate if thats what you mean by 'commission'. it may be the case, but id like to hesr from the op to confirm that.

And dude, when you put something in an inverted comma it usually suggests your quoting something.
Old 06-03-2016, 13:39   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Until we hesr from the OP, 'provided the gas certificate' simply means the broker handed it over along with all the other paper work. I did not see in the origional OP anything suggesting the broker organised a gas fitter to provide a certificate if thats what you mean by 'commission'. it may be the case, but id like to hesr from the op to confirm that.

And dude, when you put something in an inverted comma it usually suggests your quoting something.
He was quoting something. The OP said:

" Does the broker have any responsibility/liability in regards to this matter. They commissioned and provided the gas certificate."

[emphasis added]
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 20:31   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Oztalk doesn't always translate into Colonial, and Google Translate only garbles it further.

I'm guessing that if the broker "commissioned" the gas certificate, that might mean the broker paid a gasfitter (certifier? inspector?) to perform a survey of the gas system and certify that it was in compliance.

If that's the case, who is to say that the broker colluded with some joker to provide a false certificate? Rather than the certifier lying and providing it?

A cynical Yank might say that obviously, the broker paid someone off to provide a certificate fraudulently. And that might be true. But then again, here in the Colonies we pay taxes and government salaries to people who are charged with investigating and prosecuting these matters. Especially when it comes to things that endanger the public with fire and explosion hazards.

When some bozo installs his own natural gas lines for a water heater and manages to blow up the neighborhood (or bring down a multistory building) by botching it, lots of people get very upset. Sometimes, they even send someone to prison.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 20:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
He was quoting something. The OP said:

" Does the broker have any responsibility/liability in regards to this matter. They commissioned and provided the gas certificate."

[emphasis added]
I stand corrected.
Old 06-03-2016, 20:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Oztalk doesn't always translate into Colonial, and Google Translate only garbles it further.

I'm guessing that if the broker "commissioned" the gas certificate, that might mean the broker paid a gasfitter (certifier? inspector?) to perform a survey of the gas system and certify that it was in compliance.

If that's the case, who is to say that the broker colluded with some joker to provide a false certificate? Rather than the certifier lying and providing it?

A cynical Yank might say that obviously, the broker paid someone off to provide a certificate fraudulently. And that might be true. But then again, here in the Colonies we pay taxes and government salaries to people who are charged with investigating and prosecuting these matters. Especially when it comes to things that endanger the public with fire and explosion hazards.

When some bozo installs his own natural gas lines for a water heater and manages to blow up the neighborhood (or bring down a multistory building) by botching it, lots of people get very upset. Sometimes, they even send someone to prison.

I just find it odd that the OP asked the question and has not as yet clarified what he meant. If the broker did 'commission' and by that meaning, the broker hired a plumber to come and inspect the gas fitting and then the plumber issued a certificate that was not up to standards, then I'd think that would fall back on the plumber, not the broker.

BUT, still waiting for the OP to clarify it.

And on top of it, quite a bit of time has gone by.
Old 06-03-2016, 21:07   #24

RC He has bought a new regulator for xxx $ is living with the non compliant pipes and moved on after cleansing his liver.Will only worry about it again when selling the boat but now knows how and where to get a bodgy certificate.
Not sure I get the slur on QLD in some of the posts and I have lived or worked in all states and do find it bit more relaxed sometimes in QLD but certainly no more corrupt than others infact probably less so than NSW or Victoria.
Old 06-03-2016, 21:42   #25

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Guzzisti,
we bought our cat two years ago from Sunsail in the Whitsundays. At the time the boat was required to be sold with a current gas compliance certificate. It was explained to me that any boat for sale in Queensland "must" be sold with a current gas compliant gas certificate. We were present with the plumber/gas fitter was doing the compliance check and observed him bring the boat to standard including replacing the old gas stove.
It may be the case that at the time that the boat was sold to you it was compliant and the rules have changed since then and any work done is required to be bought up to the present standard.
The other side of the coin is that the gas fitter doing the certification got it wrong and now you have to get it up to standard. If rules and regulations have not changed then I would suggest you have a case against the person certifying the boat. I would not be pointing the bone at the broker at this point in time as he may not know any more than you in regard to the certificate. I would have thought that the onus would have been on the previus owner to arrange the inspection and certification. The broker can only go on what is in front of them and if they have a certificate of complinace then I do not see a lot more in their responsibitly. I suggest its the same as them sighting the registration papers.
If your compliance person indicates that the same rules for gas have been in for a number of years then I would be first contacting the person on the certificate for comment and then going to the appropriate authority who over see the compliance of these things. I would suggest they would be very interested in your story. I would also suggest that if the certicate was found to be fraudulent you will not be the only person who has been caught out.
I am aware that a lot of the Leopards that came into Australia for the Sunsail Fleet did not meet the gas standard and had to be modfiied when they arrived in Australia. Part of the issue was that the gas line was not copper (and sheathed) but a type of rubber which is not accepted in Australia.

Greg H
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 21:51   #26

Quote:
RC He has bought a new regulator for xxx $ is living with the non compliant pipes and moved on after cleansing his liver.Will only worry about it again when selling the boat but now knows how and where to get a bodgy certificate.
Not sure I get the slur on QLD in some of the posts and I have lived or worked in all states and do find it bit more relaxed sometimes in QLD but certainly no more corrupt than others infact probably less so than NSW or Victoria.
Nice of him to report back

What slur on Qld I mean, it's queensland so there's lot's of 'slurrring' but, what slur in regards to this thread?
Old 06-03-2016, 22:14   #27

Quote:
Nice of him to report back

What slur on Qld I mean, it's queensland so there's lot's of 'slurrring' but, what slur in regards to this thread?
Posts 11 & 18.
No skin off my nose and I like a bit of state rivalry but well based on ?????
Old 06-03-2016, 23:28   #28

Quote:
Posts 11 & 18.
No skin off my nose and I like a bit of state rivalry but well based on ?????
well post 11 certainly is. I guess its his personal experience. I dont see any slurs in 18. But hey, tis Queensland
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25   #29

I had a gas installation certified by Western Australian marine surveyor many years ago. The Queensland authorities later made life hell, as they wanted my perfectly good copper pipes removed and replaced with a green plastic copper pipe. The surveyor could not explain why. He was not happy with my cut off systems or alarms, nor the gas appliance itself.

He finally told me to ignore it all and just claim that I only had an aft deck gas cooker.
It's a bloody circus in Queensland.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:57   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
well post 11 certainly is. I guess its his personal experience. I dont see any slurs in 18. But hey, tis Queensland
Trouble with Qld is that up here we related to each other, well not all of us anyway, down south everyone is family.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote