Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 12:17   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Enforcement of COLREGS in Different Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBe View Post
]

ps What I didn't realise until recently is that in the Admiralty Court a judge sits with two captains from Trinity House which is the UK organisation that is responsible for all the lighthouses, buoys, navigation marks etc in the UK
Yes, they are called the "Elder Brethren" and are there to advise the judge on what they would consider normal or acceptable behaviour by whatever type vessel in those conditions (like safe speed)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 12:46   #17

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

My experience in the US is similar to most other US-based sailors - the law on the books is never enforced until an accident. I get a kick out of these discussion forums where someone is suggesting replacing a light with an LED, and all the armchair sailors pop up with warnings about wavelength, and such. I'd be happy if they'd do the basics - anchor out of the channel, don't drive at high speeds next to small craft, know anything about crossing rules, stay relatively sober, etc. Anything!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 16:46   #18

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I'm sure there are many levels of COLREGS enforcement around the USA but I can assure you that San Diego Bay is one where it is taken seriously. There is considerable commercial and military traffic, including Aircraft Carriers and Automobile Carriers among the racers, cruisers and sightseeing boats. The channel is narrow and there is a long sweeping turn going in or out of the Bay. The USN, USCG, Port Police, Port Commission and local Yacht Clubs can penalize boaters who force big boats to sound 5 horns or worse. That's enough to keep my situational awareness up.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men