Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 09:07   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Entry into Marquesas questions

I am thinking of departing from San Diego to the Marquesas in about a year. I have been looking at Noonsite and other sources of info as to entry issues that might present us, and I'm hoping someone here has more current info. I tried to contact Polynesia Yacht Services, but they seem to be having some internet issues at the moment.

I and my crew, one to three others, would enter at Hiva Oa, in the south, to make our preliminary entry. My initial question regards our departure port. I would like to spend our entire three month visa visiting the islands of the Marquesas, then to depart for Hawaii to return to the US. Do we have to make our final departure from Papeete? Can we simply (and legally) make Nuku Hiva our departure port? My dream is to keep repeating this circuit of San Diego to French Polynesia at intervals allowing us to stay within the 3-month visa per six month separation allowance. Eventually, I would like to visit as much of French Polynesia as possible, but allowing for, up to, three month visits to each of the areas of interest.

If this is possible (to avoid immediate transit of the Tuamotus and obligatory visit to Papeete), what are your recommendations? Thank you.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:19   #2

Re: Entry into Marquesas questions

I can't see why you couldn't depart for Hawaii from the Marquesas.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:31   #3

My plan is a long loop, to be repeated until I'm tired of it: San Diego to FP to Hawaii, to the Pacific Northwest to San Diego. Repeat as needed until satiation or demise. I like passages, but I like to keep the windward ones to a minimum where possible. My question addresses whether I have to depart from Papeete, or can I do so from another port of entry closer to my itinerary.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

You can do both without having to sail to Tahiti. For confirmation contact Pascal at Tahiti Yacht Services, good guy to deal with all things, bonds, parts info and so on. I've used him a few times.

Lynn A. Stokes
Captain
Eastern Pacific Yacht Services
Morro Bay, Ca.
Loco Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12   #5

Thank you, all, for your assistance. I received confirmation from Laurent at Polynesia Yacht Services, that departure direct from the Marquesas to Hawaii is legal when using the official ports of entry.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:15   #6

Has anyone anything to say about checking into Ua Pou as opposed to Hiva Oa? Seems like a particularly beautiful place to make landfall.

Tags
marquesas