Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 10:08   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Estonian Digital Nomad Visa

This is very interesting:

https://e-resident.gov.ee/nomadvisa/

It's a kind of residence permit for digital nomads -- people who earn a certain amount of money and can work remotely.

This would not work for retired people, but many cruisers are actual digital nomads (I guess you could say that I am one) so might fit to a "T".

Presumably (but should be checked!) that like other EU residence permits, it does not imply any taxation provided your income is not Estonian sourced and provided you are not physically present for more than half the year cumulatively.

Presumably (but should be checked) would mean that you have basically free pass to other Schengen countries (although technically you are limited to 90 out of 180, in countries other than that of your residence pemit).

In other words, a really short cut to an EU residence permit.

Interesting to see whether it really works like this.

Estonia is a fantastic country to use as a base in any case. Tallinn is one of the most beautiful and most walkable cities in Europe, it's relatively cheap, very good air connections, fantastic cruising in the Gulf of Finland and Estonian islands. Blazing fast and dirt cheap Internet, cheap and nice apartments, cheapest taxis in Europe (€5 or less from center of Tallinn to the airport), ferry access to Helsinki, overnight train to Moscow or St. Petersburg. Some of the best restaurants in Europe. The girls are pretty, too.

Estonia also has e-residency which gives you total digital access to all interactions with the Estonian government whether or not you are actually resident.

One caveat: If you're not already in Europe, the Digital Nomad Visa will not get you around the pandemic restrictions. Schengen is still closed to most of the world.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote