Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
It's actually contrary to VAT law, new means of transport must have VAT paid in the country of destination. The country of destination is the one where the asset habitually resides. ( applies to all boats over 7.5 metres)

Despite much confusion. You cannot in fact elect to pay VAT wherever you like. VAT is a country specific tax ( as are basically all EU taxes )

As to Croatia. Non Croatian registered boats will not gain any concessions on its accession.

It's commonly said that for example you live in the UK but you pay for your VAT in the Azores. ( not much benefit now of course) this is actually incorrect under VAt law. You must pay the vat in the home country. ( and were you inspected and challenged in the home country you'd have to pay the VAT again )
Dave
Old 11-05-2012, 01:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: EU - Did you need to show VAT proof?

so correct me if im wrong a boat that habitually resides in croatia,with a british flag will pay vat in the uk ,or in croatia at the uk rate?,or when it returns to the uk?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:01   #18
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
so correct me if im wrong a boat that habitually resides in croatia,with a british flag will pay vat in the uk ,or in croatia at the uk rate?,or when it returns to the uk?
It will pay vat in the UK , only if it returns to the UK. If it resides in Croatia ( the flag state is irrelevant as long as its not Croatian ) if the intention is to keep the boat in Croatia then if and when Croatia enters the EU you would pay Croatian VAT.

So to clarify. If you pay Croatian VAT and them immediately sailed home and put it in the marina down from where you live in the UK. That would be in breach of VAT law. If however the boat remained in Croatia ( 6 months I beleive ) that that is its place of destination and VAT would be correctly paid in Croatia

This of course assumes Croatian VAT accession rules follows previous accessions. Remember most accessions occurred before VAT harmonisation so it remains to be seen how the actual mechanics of accession would apply.

This is why for example. Uk person buys a boat in the US sails into the Azores pays VAT and sails for the uk is actually breaking VAT law and the boat has not been properly imported. Into the EU.

Many people have incorrect VAT paperwork. As I said VAT inspections on private leisure vessels are a rare beast hence most people never get pulled up and continue on believing their situation is correct.
Dave
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

thanks,i guess in the op's case as long as he never reaches his destination port in his country of residence he will be okay!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07   #20
Nearly an old salt

Talking Re: EU - Did you need to show VAT proof?

The OP just posed a simple question. I don't believe he's implying anything. Do EU boats owned by EU national get asked for proof of Vat

Lets give a little nuanced answer
Brits in france, now and then ( fix the SSR and sell the CIs and all would be well)
everyone else - whats Douane mean, i don't know.

Dave
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16   #21

I remember the dutch customs asked the captain on a 65ft monohull I crewed on a couple years ago. Boat was Swedish.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:26   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
On the Atlantic coast the French have a bit of a thing going in relation to British ensigned boats as they suspect every Brit is hiding out in the Chanel islands dodging vat.
I have no idea where they could get the idea from that we are all tax dodgers . For us having a piece of paper (original sales receipt that says VAT paid) is very useful (even though as you say it does not mean everything - and sometimes nothing!) plus being able to show that we (or the boat) don't actually live in France....and are only visiting to spend money (they like that). Being nice also helps (and be aware that they can usually speak a lot more English than they will admit to).

At the risk of taking the thread off topic , a mate of me Father's lost a house in France over VAT (and other taxes). Long story short, it was a derelict that he re-built with imported (VAT free) materials (he was a builder) - my bet is that the Douanes (and many of the locals!) spent a couple of years giggling.....before they arrived with the bill. At the end of the day the house was "seized" and ended up being cheaper to walk away from.....

....then again me father knows someone who stole a house - piece by piece, from a builder's merchant But that was before computers and stuff.....hey, it's the Jersey way - we be of Norman stock, "back in the day" we once "acquired" England . Hell, someone over here once owned most of New Jersey, can't remember how - I think it was probably something like turning up with a flag or being a mate of someone who knew someone........

Quote:
Is a bit of an obsession, which seems to die down as you get to the med. the French have always had a thing about the channel islands ( well they do call them ille normandes !! ) .

Dave
Les Illes Anglo-Normande - FWIW, their be moves over here to go UDI (by our lords and masters (a coalition of Paedos, Little Englanders and moneyed Spivs) - not the peasants), could well end up as UDI lite.......although something of a Nationalist, that prospect fills me with horror!....and at present I favour re-unifying with Normandy! or inviting the Germans back - but all that probably comes under the CF "No politics" rule (even if it is not seen as "real" politics ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote