Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 09:04   #1

Boat: Freedom 32
Expired registration

Boat for sale has a title, but has been standing for some time and the registration is not current. Current owner has the title signed over to him but has not registered the boat in his name.

Q1. Does the owner first have to put the title in his name before he is authorized to sell?
Q2. Will there be back payment due to the state for the years that the boat's state registration was not maintained?

I just finished reading David OJ's thread on older boats and I acknowledge that I need to join the support group for compulsive viewers and buyers of older boats, but the heart wants.

Thanks
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:15   #2

Re: Expired registration

You can make that purchase, but only do it by going to the registration place with the seller. Hear what they say and make sure he pays any back taxes. Usually you dont have to register if you aren't using it. But IF it must be disclosed that he bought it, sales tax will be owed by him.
-is the seller's name on the old title that is signed?
-Does he have a Bill of Sale for when he bought it?
-or cancelled check?

I have bought cars by going to the registration place with the seller. But details may matter. He may need to prove he actually owns it in order to sell it. Anyone can steal a title and write their name on it.

If the Title is only signed by the previous owner without indication of who bought it, then it may be easier.

In any instance I would get him to go with you and do the sale at the registration place once they accept the transfer.

BTW, be careful doing this with a car. I bought an old Pickup once like this, but the guy who sold it to me said the owner was "out of town commercial fishing" and he was instructed to sell it. I went to register it and the sale went through fine, but I didn't learn that the truck was a "salvage" title until years later when I opened up my title!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:19   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Cape Town View Post
Boat for sale has a title, but has been standing for some time and the registration is not current. Current owner has the title signed over to him but has not registered the boat in his name.

Q1. Does the owner first have to put the title in his name before he is authorized to sell?
Generally, yes.
Quote:
Q2. Will there be back payment due to the state for the years that the boat's state registration was not maintained?
Check with the relevant state tax authority - probably not, however, answers followed by the words”I think” or “probably” are useless and often unwritten here.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:35   #4

Depends entirely on the specific laws in the state in question. I can speak to the laws in Florida...

The seller does not have to register the boat, but he does have to transfer the title into his name before he can sell it. Neither the buyer, nor the seller, would be obligated to pay past registration fees on the boat. There is nothing wrong with owning a boat that is not registered, or has not been. Registration is only required if you want to operate it on any public waters.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:44   #5

For my current boat I had to go back to the seller to get the deed of sale notarized before I could transfer the title. The title and reg was in her name, but RI state still need docs to be notarized.

I have previously bought a motorcycle where the owner gave me the blank title with the previous owners signature on it. I managed to transfer and register it, fortunately without any comebacks, although I sweated through the process and after thought it was a foolish move on my part. Don't want to do that again.
Old 25-05-2020, 09:47   #6

Thanks for the help guys.

Tags
registration