Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 19:48   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Extended stay in Canada

My boat is Coast Guard registered and currently berthed in Seattle. I'm considering a summer trip in the area of Vancover Island and possibly further north. I would need to break this into 2 or 3 pieces in order to fit it in around work.

So here is my question. What is involved in leaving a boat in a Canada port for a period of 2-4 weeks and for it being in Canada waters for 2-3 months?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:48   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Extended stay in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
My boat is Coast Guard registered and currently berthed in Seattle. I'm considering a summer trip in the area of Vancover Island and possibly further north. I would need to break this into 2 or 3 pieces in order to fit it in around work.

So here is my question. What is involved in leaving a boat in a Canada port for a period of 2-4 weeks and for it being in Canada waters for 2-3 months?
Hi DMK,

We, and fellow owners [US citizens] of US documented vessels have had no issues with using/keeping our boats in Canadian waters for extended periods as needed. [One US citizen boating friend now lives in BC as a legal resident with his US Documented vessel...]

While the government web sites are authoritative for looking up the current requirements, your local NW Boating Info site does a good job of distilling this information.

Best wishes on your journey.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 03-08-2016, 11:57   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Extended stay in Canada

20 years ago when we were doing this the marina said lock the boat and keep the keys as proof locals weren't using it, but didn't say anything about forms or reporting that it was there.

Maybe it is different now (or more careful to follow all the rules).
Try this.

Travellers - Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada