Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 13:26   #16

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Failed to clear in

In the Caribbean, if you come in after hours generally you can go the next morning . As for boat papers I have a copy of my registration laminated and have never been questioned. Also the dont ask to keep a copy.
Old 02-12-2018, 13:41   #17

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

A bit of a parallel from my travels is that I take along good crisp color copies of my passport for borders and hotels. It's a pain to hit a border and the little immigration office copier doesn't work. Usually hotels that want your PPT will hold the color copy.

I also have a set of vehicle/boat and personal papers copied onto waterproof paper. You can get it at most office supply places. Laser print works well but some inkjet need a coat of of clear like hair spray to make sure the colors don't run.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 15:09   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Should mention, for example, the Galapagos fees. Around $1000 to anchor in a port for a week.

I believe a 12 hour stop is allowed without paying, which considering it's nearly 1000 miles into a like 3800 mile passage from Panama.....
Old 03-12-2018, 05:26   #19

As to the issue of copies versus originals...

Some places just like things to be very official looking. So, for a very modest amount of money, I bought one of these:
https://www.vistaprint.com/stationer...45674707&GNF=0

The result is that -- to most authorities --even my copies look very "official," and that makes them happy.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:48   #20

The first thing to remember is that every country that is signatory to the common shipping protocols, (And that's nearly everyone) has the right to seize your vessel and then sort it out from there. Want to take that risk?

What I've seen typically is an immediate fine of around 7,000 US and that is just for failing to clear the vessel. It goes up from there.
rbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:22   #21

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
There is no direct answer to this as not only every country but every port authority sets up their own 'rules' and interprtations. I've seen cases where the port guys liked you and basically waved a bunch of fees. I've seen cases where even after tbe 'offender' decided to pay the fees tbey were denied and told to leave immediately. It is far better to do your research in advance at say Noonsite and just not go if you aren't willing to pay. No point in gaming the system and leaving a dirty wake.

As to boat papers. We make quality two sided color copies along with many one sided B&W copies. We give them multiple B&W to keep. If they ask for the original we, with great care, hand them one of the color copies fully expecting it back.
We made friends with a British fellow and wife who had stationary printed with a faux Crest of arms and a rubber stamp for the "Duke of Buckingham". Since there is no Duke of Buckingham, although it sounds like there should be, he wasnt impersonating anyone. When entering a new harbor he found the officials were always very accommodating when provided a crew list that listed the Duke and Duchess.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:24   #22

Golfito, Costa Rica, was very strict about paperwork when we were there in 2013 and 2016. No photo copies of ownership allowed. If the documentation was expired by even a day the boat went into a bonded marina until an original copy of a renewed ownership document was produced, even if that meant the owner had to fly to his home country to get one.
Our boat was in my wife's name and I am the nominal captain as stated on the crew list. When checking in there had to be either an authorization letter from the person on the ownership papers with the documents or the person with their name on the ownership had to be there and show their passport to prove it.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:47   #23

Boat: Uniflite sedan

Check out. Mike Maurice's book; 'Smuggling your boat out of jail'. As a delivery captain, he's been outwitting these welcoming committees for decades.
ninethlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin460 View Post
I have been cruising in the Med for 12 years. I have visited France, Italy, Malta, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece and Turkey. In 2015 I entered Montenegro to find out that they had increased the insurance requirement well above my coverage. They were very nice and said they would let be stay for a few days while I got my insurance increased, or I could sail out right then. I have had little problem checking in or out except for Croatia. The rules there are really strict and if you fail to follow them you will get fined. I have had to pay. Croatia's rule is that you must go to the first port of entry after entering the 12 mile limit. Also, when arriving and when leaving you must go straight out to the 12 mile limit. In 2015, I went to check out to go to Italy. It was about 19:00 and after checking out and the weather turned ugly. So not wishing to do a night sail in really bad wether, we elected to anchored nearby for the night. The next morning around 06:00 we sailed away. Then when I returned in 2017 they informed me that I did not leave right away in 2015 and I got about a 200 euro fine. This has happened to others. A friend of mine check out in Dubrovnik and motored south down the coast within the 12 mile limit past Cavtat (a port of entry) only to be stopped at the water-border between Croatia and Montenegro. They made him return to Cavtat, fined him and let him go. So lean each counties rules. Hope this helps.

P.S. - All of my boat papers are copied so if they want them they get copies.
What a bunch of petty BS. We cruise the Caribbean now for three years. Most places will let you check out in advance. Dominica permits you to check in/out at the same time with up to two weeks delay. Also very low cost. Most officials are very accommodating to any problems you have.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 15:41   #25

Boat: Beneteau Trawler 34

In Greece a small fry port officer insisted on keeping my passeport for the duration of our stay. I managed dissuading him by affirming tha a US passeport is the property of the US government and I couldnt relinquish it without a written receipt from him signed by him personnaly in case It became lost in their custody. That did the trick..and he took the copy I gave him!

This might work elsewhere..
Old 10-12-2018, 15:51   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There are two kinds of waterproof "paper". One is often a latex or tyvek plastic, designed with pores to trap laser toner and withstand the heat of the fuser roller. If you use ordinary "waterproof paper" in a laser printer, you may get a jam or an expensive repair bill.

The other kind is designed to absorb and trap inkjet inks, without letting dyes spread and smear, and no consideration is given for heat. (Or maybe the plastic is for inkjets and I've gotten them confused.)

Hairspray or other surface treatments might kludge that, it just wouldn't mitigate a heat problem.

Clever idea to remind someone of the line that says PROPERTY OF THE UNITED STATES (whatever the exact words) but I think you can strike even more terror in their little hearts by making up an official form, with a form number and title and printing revision date and all that good stuff, and say "Certainly, you can retain it, but I will need to see two forms of government photographic identification, have photocopies of them, and have you fill out and sign this form.
You know, forms is forms.(G)

BtW, it is a well keep secret that the DOS will issue a second passport, which is valid normally for only six months, to ay US citizen applying for one for special purposes. i.e. "I can't go to Fubaristan because there's a Bzerki stamp in my passport." If it meets the criteria, and you pay, you can get it. A friend of mine used to do extensive traveling to Bali and the surrounding area, and somehow had wrangled two full passports for her travels. But that was pre-9/11, I'm sure things have changed.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 18:33   #27

I have cleared in and out of many countries. The customary approach of officials is to allow you (the captain) tie up and locate the customs people so you can clear in. You are not allowed to let crew ashore until cleared in. The captain can do what is necessary to find the proper authorities, such as ask at the marina where he lands. Many countries take your papers and do not return them until you are given clearance to depart, sometimes even including your passport. Fees vary; however, they are pretty low in comparison to the costs of owning and sailing a boat internationally. I have never had problems with foreign officials as long as I paid their buddy, the "Ship Agent," his extortionate fee. Generally, the whole matter of clearing in and out of a port for a small boat owner is a matter of money. You have to pay to play. One of the best places for boaters is Cuba. They are professional and very nice. On the downside, there are almost no services you might expect in Cuba. For example, while you can buy diesel at a high price, you have the devil of a time finding lube oil. No ship agent is required in Cuba.
lituya1617 is offline   Reply With Quote