Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:15   #1

Boat: Celestial 48
Few Years in Mexico, FMM or What?

In past trips to Mexico I have always stayed less than 6 months and just had a tourist card (FMM). Now planning on heading down (Pacific) for at least a year and likely two years. Not sure how to handle visa requirements.

The FMM is good for 180 days (6 months) and cannot be renewed. But I think you can get a new one by going across the boarder (and turning in your FMM) and then re-entering Mexico. Has someone done this, and can you let me know of any concerns please? (like minimum time out of Mexico before re-entry etc.). Also, any chance of just going to an INM immigration office in Mexico and turning in the FMM and asking for a new one? Could be a problem (and expensive) to get out of country just to get a new FMM every 6 months.

The new (as of this year I think) MTRV Temporary Resident visa (replaces old FM3 visa) is to allow up to 4 years in Mexico. This requires application at a Mexican consulate outside of Mexico, an address in Mexico, financial data, and takes about 2 months after which you pick up at a designated INM office in Mexico. You get a 30 day (or up to 180 day?) visa for entry into Mexico and for time to go to INM office in Mexico and continue process. Has anyone taken this route, and does anyone recommend this? Seems that this is designed for someone with a semi-permanent address in Mexico, and would be a real hassle for a cruiser.

Advice (or corrections) from those cruising Mexico most appreciated. Thanks
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26   #2

Re: Few Years in Mexico, FMM or What?

So I would guess one way would be to fly from La Paz to Los Angeles and back, getting a new FMM on flight back. Anyone do this (or similar)? Some cheaper/simpler way?

Old 13-09-2013, 16:26   #3

We've only done the 6 month tourist cards; there's no problem grabbing one when you cross a Mexican border or port of entry back into the country. We've done it flying into Puerto Vallarta airport (three times), and driving in through Tijuana. There's a little building near Aduana that you pull over at, show your passports, and get the cards.

If you're driving back to the states, you can have an expired visa; no one checks on your way out.

If you fly, they often take your visa and if you don't have it you have to buy another to turn in... Mexico. Also, if you have a tourist card issued by a port captain (like when you clear in) you sometimes can't turn that in to fly out of the country. They want to see the airplane stamp, even when you're just turning it to a guy to have them rip it in half... Mexico.

We have some friends in La Paz who got new tourist cards issued on the down low. Cost them $100USD a piece, did it in a McDonalds (across the street from the immigration office).

I would recommend taking the six month visa card then making FM3 (or whatever the new term is) a priority when you get down here. The rules and process seems to shift based on where you are and the local cruising community can fast track you.

In both La Paz and Bahia de Banderas there was constant radio chatter and self proclaimed experts who are more than happy to replay the current state of visa affairs and how to make it work.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 16:40   #4

Thanks Eric

In searching about in other forums I have heard of the following happening in the past:

One guy just went to Guadalajara airport and turned in FMM and got a new one!

Another went to an airport (not sure where) and said he lost his FMM. They made him pay a small fine and then fill out form and payment and get a new FMM (good for another 6 months).

Both of these seem like sort of slim chance deals, but maybe would work. Lot cheaper than two round trips back to USA.

I am planning on stopping by Mexican Consulate next week and just ask them for their advice. Will post back with what they say.
Old 13-09-2013, 16:52   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Dennis! Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want to stay for months in Mexico? I spend a couple of weeks per year there for SCUBA diving; more than enough time for me. I have a very long list of places as yet to visit; hence the two weeks of travel in Mexico. My favorite place...Cozumel, hands down. Enjoy!

Mauritz
Old 13-09-2013, 16:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Dennis! Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want to stay for months in Mexico? I spend a couple of weeks per year there for SCUBA diving; more than enough time for me. I have a very long list of places as yet to visit; hence the two weeks of travel in Mexico. My favorite place...Cozumel, hands down. Enjoy!

Mauritz
The winters on the mainland west coast are pretty unbeatable. No tropical storms, warm waters, no rain, warm air, nice surfing, nice sailing. November-May are borderline perfect.
Old 13-09-2013, 16:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Thanks Eric

In searching about in other forums I have heard of the following happening in the past:

One guy just went to Guadalajara airport and turned in FMM and got a new one!

Another went to an airport (not sure where) and said he lost his FMM. They made him pay a small fine and then fill out form and payment and get a new FMM (good for another 6 months).

Both of these seem like sort of slim chance deals, but maybe would work. Lot cheaper than two round trips back to USA.

I am planning on stopping by Mexican Consulate next week and just ask them for their advice. Will post back with what they say.
Actually that's a pretty genius idea. Like I said, you need to turn one in (to the check-in counter) in order to board your plane. If you don't have one, they'll (frequently) send you over to immigration where the guy takes your $30 and hands you a new one, which you then hand to the check-in attendant for the airline.

You could easily just walk into the airport, say that you lost yours (to the immigration guys) and you're boarding your plane, then walk out of the airport laughing your ass off.
Old 13-09-2013, 16:59   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i will be renewing for a 3rd time an fm3--i need to be temp resident this time---permanent resident is after 10 yrs.
fmm requires the citizen of usa or canada or wherever to go back to their place of origin then return. there is a path worn now from all the returnees doing this maneuver.
renewing/converting from fm3 is not necessary to leave here and return--just go to imigracion with your papers and pictures and bank statements and money and do it.

ask at consulate about your desire for temp resident and see how you can expedite.

once down low ways are reported in forums online the down low ways stop. funny how many govt officials read this stuff
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 17:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
...Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want to stay for months in Mexico? ...
Last two times down there on my boat stayed for about 2 months each time. Did not want to leave, lots to see and do.

Not planning on staying forever, but thinking like 1.5 to two years to get my fill.

Old 13-09-2013, 17:16   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Dennis! No doubt in my mind that there are spectacular places in Mexico, as I have visited several times. I have a map (not a chart yet) of Western Australia and remote Indian Ocean islands...targeted for visits when I can. Variety is the spice of.....but you already knew that! Sail away and have a ball!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 13-09-2013, 17:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Last two times down there on my boat stayed for about 2 months each time. Did not want to leave, lots to see and do.

Not planning on staying forever, but thinking like 1.5 to two years to get my fill.

You'll hear it from others, but give some real thought to the summers in Mexico.

The weather is, frankly, disgusting. You are either in a slip with an AC or sweating your ass off with 95f nights (seriously) just laid out flat under a fan. And the sailing is hard too because from July-October the cyclone threat is real so you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. You need to be close enough to get to hurricane holes, which can limit where you go and makes things a lot less fun, like how the winters are.

We would never spend another summer in the Sea of Cortez (or the mainland). We obviously can do it, but it's just a boring and difficult way to live your life for a few months.

If you're planning on being in a marina parked with an AC in the hatch, maybe it's different but we opted for making miles and checking other places out.
Old 13-09-2013, 17:32   #12

The winters (November-May) really are quite amazing though. Being on a boat on the mainland's west coast during the winter is honestly some of the best times I've had in my life.
Old 13-09-2013, 17:59   #13

We were thinking we would put boat on the hard in Marina Seca, or Guaymas (July, August,September) and take a trip North to San Diego to see family for a while.

I was in La Paz in July once, and yes it had me thinking that 70 degree nights would be a nice change. (and the water is still fairly cool in July in La Paz compared to Aug/Sep).
Old 13-09-2013, 18:15   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am spending my third--yes 3rd -- summer in mexico, each summer has been spent in a different place. --the weather is humid and here in tropical mexico it is wonderful--much more comfortable than banderas bay--yes cabo corrientes and south is much different from inside banderas bay weather wise as well as scenery wise.
i do not do desert so i abstained from gringoville, soc, aka golfo de california. i know summers there sukk hard rocks.
mazatlan--hot, many many lightning storms, and still desert.
la cruz de huanacaxtle--almost jungle --humid and HOT--- temps ranging from 65 f in winter to 95 in summer with high humidity. aug-oct days higher than 105.

barra de navidad has been no hotter than 95 in hot sun and no less than 80. winter is 80..... daily winds to 30 ish kts with 10 ft depth and poor holding a sit is s ilt...one needs to use all 150 ft of chain with anchoring here. everyone using less has dragged.
mangroves for furycames--awesome --no current there and no wind..
marina is out of the current and protected from winds and is a haven for the anchor outs should a direct hit be predicted.
we have rain--usually in night --this place is awesome perfect weather.

the thing about mexico and mexican weather--the country is very many miles in length and has 3 time zones between tj and chiapas. i am in louisiana time. manzanillo is in denver time. ensenada is on kali time. great distance to cover--many climates to choose from--tropical mexico is awesome, and summers are mellow with only 12 degree F variance in many locales.
those who have not been in this area cannot speak of mexican climates as they have experienced only some of mexico.
the best places and parts of mexico are south of banderas bay.
some scenes fr om barra and zihuatenejo

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 20:22   #15

Seriously ZeeHag, are you saying it is lush tropical there like Costs Rica, DR, or PR? I only know Mexico as a desert like southern Cali
Smokingator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico