Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2023, 02:45   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Finnish, Estonian Registries

My boat has proudly worn the Red Duster since she was built in 2001 but I am an EU resident and I'm starting to think that my luck may someday run out with VAT inspections and so forth. She was VAT-paid in the UK and is not legally VAT-paid in the EU since she was physically present in the EU (Denmark) and I have a letter from the harbourmaster attesting to that.

The problem is I can imagine a case where I get inspected and the jobsworth of whatever state decides he wants to check my U.S. passport for Schengen days (this has happened to me in German waters) and I am forced to whip out my EU residence permit. Then the question of the British flag and VAT comes up. I can prove that I am legal but my long experience with bureaucrats is that the less standard the case is, and the more documents you need to prove it, the greater risk of getting screwed over the in the process.

So maybe it's time to break down and re-register in the EU.

I am aware of the glories of the Polish registry but I don't want the flag of a state I have no connection with.

The EU countries I have the closest connection to are Denmark, Finland, and Estonia. Denmark is out because they have an ownership tax (charged through insurance). That leaves Finland and Estonia.

Anyone have experience with these registries? I am a member of a Finnish yacht club and the Finnish flag would suit me. I believe there are no taxes.

Estonia would also be fine, and Estonia is an all-digital government with exceptionally simple bureaucratic procedures, so maybe that's better. The registration application is one page long and you do it online if you have an electronic signature card (which I do).

Comments? Experiences?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 02:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Finnish, Estonian Registries

Well, maybe I have my answer about Finnish registry:

Right to fly the flag

A watercraft is Finnish and entitled to fly the Finnish flag if a Finnish citizen or a Finnish legal person owns more than 60 per cent of the watercraft. The ownership base will be indicated in the system according to the customer notification. A watercraft may be registered without the right to fly the flag if the nationality requirement is not met.
The right to fly the flag is indicated by the symbol of the Finnish flag on the registration certificate and by the text indicating that the card is a valid proof of nationality.

https://www.traficom.fi/en/transport/boaters/watercraft-registration-certificate?toggle=Registration%20certificate%20da ta%20content
Finnish resident is conspicuously absent.
I could do it through a Finnish company but I was hoping to avoid using a company this time.

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 05:34   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Hmm easy way is to send registry apllication to Trafi, if you pay taxes to Finland and have finnish SOTU should be enough?
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 21:07   #4

found this on Estonia https://www.attorneys-at-law.eu/news/view/11775
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 21:15   #5

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

another factor to consider when choosing flag is insurance cost

we have the option of uk, german, swedish or australian

looking solely at insurance cost (for same insurer / same policy), australian was most expensive and swedish was cheapest (by a considerable margin)

we ultimately went with german flag after balancing everything out

cheers,
Old 29-07-2023, 02:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The EU countries I have the closest connection to are Denmark, Finland, and Estonia. Denmark is out because they have an ownership tax (charged through insurance). That leaves Finland and Estonia.
Finland requires that you are either a national or a permanent resident. With regard to Estonia a survey has to be conducted by the maritime authorities. They do not accept surveys by third parties. You will also need to appoint a local representative, as a none-Estonian national/resident.
BM2023 is offline   Reply With Quote