Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2012, 18:53   #46
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: First anchoring violation citation issued in St. Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
So more taxation/rules are your solution to the problem?Instead of enforcing the rules that are present?
Thank you and votes with my sails and leaves......
Is this attitude that enforces my sailing........and not sticking around in this country and trying to fix this mad house. ......rant stopped
Mark

Do me a BIIIIGGGGG favor, Mark, and DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH.

You didn't stop your rant. You tried to stomp all over me because I didn't agree with you, and THEN you stopped.

You're not the only person on the water, and opposing views are allowed in anything resembling a true republic. So please take the hob-nailed boots off. Of course if you don't like the burdens that come with freedom (such as tolerating others' freedom of speech, clearly important to you when it's you speaking) ... you are free to leave.

MY rant stopped now.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:56   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I believe the dinghy dock rate in St. Augustine is $10 per day.
3650 per year. that would make it double my annual real estate taxes and nearly as much as our mortgage. Also signifigantly higher than our heating bills. 10 per day is an insane amount for 60 square feet of space.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:00   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
3650 per year. that would make it double my annual real estate taxes and nearly as much as our mortgage. Also signifigantly higher than our heating bills. 10 per day is an insane amount for 60 square feet of space.

I absolutely agree with you!

The rate may have gone up, but just two years ago it was around $10 per night to dock at Caledisi Island, according to multiple travel experts one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. No elec or running water, but that's why you bring batteries and a water tank.

(But if you decide to go there, check the tides, check out the local knowledge, check your draft, and *in addition* come and go at high tide ...) or ... THUNK!!!
Old 14-05-2012, 19:05   #49

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Do me a BIIIIGGGGG favor, Mark, and DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH.

You didn't stop your rant. You tried to stomp all over me because I didn't agree with you, and THEN you stopped.

You're not the only person on the water, and opposing views are allowed in anything resembling a true republic. So please take the hob-nailed boots off. Of course if you don't like the burdens that come with freedom (such as tolerating others' freedom of speech, clearly important to you when it's you speaking) ... you are free to leave.

MY rant stopped now.
Thank you
So instead of enforcing the "SAFE BOATING" rules that are allready on the books you think it is ok to just raise taxes?So that the chosen few ..read KINGS MEN.....can enjoy the beauty.And the convenience.The rest of us realy can not afforad $22 a day to hit the dingy dock.Look at Marion,FL.
So yup.......I acept your opposing view and can not affoard the outcome so i CHOOSE TO LEAVE.Enjoy the taxation and the beauty and convenionce.Big world out there.
My Thoughts
Mark
PS>>AMT.Thats alternate minium tax was made for the ritch to pay there fair share.Now is becoming the norm....ENJOY..
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:12   #50

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
I read the article completely, and think that if liveaboard guys such as this stand in the way of excellent installations of mooring fields like the ones in St.Augustine and Titusville, then other cities will be reluctant to do the same installations. While anchoring out may be the choice of those that never move their boats, the mooring provide very good security when us cruisers (those of us that actually move our boats from place to place) pass through, especially during bad weather when a marina seems too expensive and a mooring will give you a safe place to weather the weather. As to insurance, I am fully in favor of requiring at least liablity on every boat out there. I have seen the worst of the worst in seamanship traveling the trip between New England and the Bahamas, and would hate to be in a situation where a dragging or poorly operated boat hits me and the owner has no insurance. I would probably be arrested for assault or worse. St. Augustine isn't the backwater, it is a heavily used harbor and the only way to keep unseaworthy boats in check is to have regulations. We have seen too many derilict boats along the intercoastal in towns such as St Augustine, Fort Pierce and Lake Worth, more than any other towns. Instead of chastising St Augustine, if I was a livaboard there, I would put my effort into cleaning up the neighborhood, because that is the core reason that such things are enacted.
No, Hell No to mandatory mooring fields. I trust my ground tackle, I don't trust somebody's mooring.
Old 14-05-2012, 19:30   #51

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Can anyone say, "Agenda 21."

This is just a continuation of the same ol' B.S.
Only more so. Let's speak our truth and reclaim freedom!!

Basta y Basta.

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:31   #52
cruiser

LOVE that "User CP" funtion ...
Old 14-05-2012, 20:21   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
No, Hell No to mandatory mooring fields. I trust my ground tackle, I don't trust somebody's mooring.

If they fill the marinas with moorings that don't get used then they'll just have to learn their lessons the hard way. I would have no problem trusting a proven mooring field.
Old 14-05-2012, 20:30   #54

Quote:
If they fill the marinas with moorings that don't get used then they'll just have to learn their lessons the hard way. I would have no problem trusting a proven mooring field.
They will make money off the mooring fields and off the fines for people anchoring. Or just people anchoring, which isn't right. Same with the dingy fees.

But, people will pay. We have no will anymore, and half the people don't care about fees if it keeps the rift raf away.

I do think the local government can get involved with derelict boats though.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 21:02   #55

Boat: In Between Boats

Freedom only exists when everyone has freedoms - think about that because yours could very well be next. For your own good, of course!

You'll wake up when it's your turn.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 04:28   #56
CLOD

Boat: none

I just read the entire ordinance that was link posted on the first page of this thread. I don't see anything in it that should cause all this "talk". (It even specifically says you can anchor outside the mooring field.)

I think at least half the comments on this thread appear to be made up crap that people have used to fuel thier rants! Maybe you people should at least read the ordinance.
Old 15-05-2012, 04:39   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I just read the entire ordinance that was link posted on the first page of this thread. I don't see anything in it that should cause all this "talk". (It even specifically says you can anchor outside the mooring field.)

I think at least half the comments on this thread appear to be made up crap that people have used to fuel thier rants! Maybe you people should at least read the ordinance.

In fairness, I think we'd have to actually see the mooring field. If they have put in so many moorings that there is no space left for anchoring, then people won't have much choice.

I would have no problem using a mooring field in Key West. It's proven dependable and we know it can be tricky to anchor securely there. Surrounded by other moored boats, I can be confident that the boats around me are secure and not likely to drift into me. It's y understanding that the mooring fields have security that anchoring out does not give. But people do have their choice there.

But if all of St. Augustine's anchorages are now "for rent," I can understand people not welcoming the choice. In fact authorities can check any boat in the area to make sure they're not dumping sewage, are properly registered, etc.

By the way, it is not true that documented boats in Florida must also have state registration.
Old 15-05-2012, 05:03   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

I just reread the original post and link and have the belief that the first violation being spoken of was given to the poster. And that it probably involved that they anchor using a couple of 100# anchors (their words) that they don't leave from. I get this because they talk about not being able to even get them up and would have to leave them behind and that if they did that they would be able to find them again. And this seems about requirements around that boats be "navigable".

As cruisers I don't feel this whole "discussion" is aimed at us at all. It really is aimed at locals.
Old 15-05-2012, 05:56   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts Content View Post
Freedom only exists when everyone has freedoms...
I like to say that freedom is like the oxygen in the air--you can't take it away from one person without affecting everyone, including yourself.

It is amazing, though, how many people just don't "get" that. They think they can take freedoms away from other people and it won't affect them at all (just because they're not currently exercising that particular freedom).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 06:01   #60

Quote:
By the way, it is not true that documented boats in Florida must also have state registration.
Getting off topic, but yes, it is true. If your boat is in Florida for more than 90 days then the law requires you to register it with the state. Does not matter if you are USCG documented or not. You do not have to display registration numbers if your boat is documented, but you do have to display the little FL state sticker.

All the details are right here, Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, if you would like to read it for yourself.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring