Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 12:24   #46

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomuffins View Post
Anchoring restrictions in Florida? ... It's all about the gentry.

mm
Well said!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:57   #47

Boat: n/a yet...
Is there truth to foreign flagged vessels having to report moving? Also, I agree with the statement that unless there is a safety reason, people should be allowed to anchor wherever they want. Can anyone weigh in on how Florida is compared to the rest of the country?
Macopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Macopa,

I travelled with a sailor from South Africa, buddy boating. Yes he had to report everywhere he went. When he left Daytona he had to report his leaving, and destination. He could stop along the way, but had to prove his whereabouts.

I took him to the Bahamas one year. At that time you only had to call in on your return. With him I had to physically go in, and present him to the authorities.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22   #49

Boat: n/a yet...
Interesting. One question I do have about all these rules is that they seem to be based on the integrity and willingness of each sailor to abide by them. I am not against the rules/regs but what happens if someone sails without knowledge of the red tape? For instance. If I buy a boat and sail I will have loose plans. I can forsee having a vague idea of some places that I'll definitely want to go but a lot of the trip I'll makeup on the way pending further research and beta gleamed along the way from other sailors. It seems tough to be ontop of all requirements at each new location. What happens to a foreign boat here that doesn't report? Serious consequences?
Macopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:30   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If a foreign-flagged vessel will be sailing to a number of ports during a stay in the United States, it may be eligible for a cruising license. This license exempts pleasure boats of certain countries from having to undergo formal entry and clearance procedures at all but the first port of entry.

CBP Headquarters
Office of Public Affairs
1300 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Room 3.4A
Washington, DC 20229
Phone: (202) 344-1770
or: (800) 826-1471
Fax: (202) 344-1393

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:19   #51
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Florida-again

Other than it's Florida, this isin't related to sailing... but I just couldn't help myself.

ASSOCIATED PRESS • June 5, 2008

LAKELAND, Florida — The Department of Justice says SWAT team officers didn’t use excessive force when they shot the suspected killer of a sheriff’s deputy 68 times during a manhunt near Lakeland in 2006.

OK... so now we know that authorities shooting a man 68 times is not using excessive force in Florida.

I'm not making this up

Maybe it's time to move
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:41   #52
jzk

Gee, I wonder if this was an execution.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 13:07   #53

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
Florida

Florida is a beautiful state with wonderful people. But like all places, the two percent who are a**holes ruin it for the 98% who are terrific. Florida has enacted and enforced some tough laws for that two percent, and this affects everyone, including the 98% - and not always in a good way.

Though not a native, I have lived here for many years and have seen it grow from 3 million to almost 20 million inhabitants. That's just too many people but Florida is a victim of its own charms, including great weather, fabulous beaches, incredible inland and coastal waterways, no income tax and a laissez-faire attitude toward business and life.

Florida has always been for people who take life easy and who are not obsessed with rules, regulations and structure. Unfortunately, with almost 20 million people here now, infrastructure has arrived with a vengeance.

Florida is simply overbuilt and over populated along the edges. Too many people in one place causes conflict and that's what is at the root of the anti boater mentality. The cities and counties are at a loss as to what to do about derelict and abandoned and sunk boats. One pontificator on this site says that there are laws on the books that allow the local governments to do something about this. Show me these laws...cite the specific regs and enforcement mechanisms that allow the n'er-do-well boaters to be driven off while at the same time precluding the local towns from being in conflict with other federal regulations.

You can't get there from here. And that is much of the problem.

As for out of state boaters here in Florida, I have always welcomed them and have always lent them a hand any way I could. Boaters are a special, warm, helpful breed no matter where they are and Florida has a very good record of welcoming boaters from everywhere, as long as they pretty much follow the law and get their cruising sticker if that is what they are supposed to do.

Does Florida have some obnoxious waterway cops? You bet we do. Remember the two percent making life miserable for the 98%. Police have their two percent, too.

One last point. As for the guy who took 68 rounds from the Polk County deputies in Lakeland, from all indications he was one of the worst of the two percent. Even his own friends and family were happy to see him exit, according to all news reports. If he had committed those atrocities against your wife or daughter what would you want done to him?

Florida can be a primal state.

I love it here.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 13:13   #54
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventide View Post
Florida is a beautiful state with wonderful people. But like all places, the two percent who are a**holes ruin it for the 98% who are terrific. Florida has enacted and enforced some tough laws for that two percent, and this affects everyone, including the 98% - and not always in a good way.

Though not a native, I have lived here for many years and have seen it grow from 3 million to almost 20 million inhabitants. That's just too many people but Florida is a victim of its own charms, including great weather, fabulous beaches, incredible inland and coastal waterways, no income tax and a laissez-faire attitude toward business and life.

Florida has always been for people who take life easy and who are not obsessed with rules, regulations and structure. Unfortunately, with almost 20 million people here now, infrastructure has arrived with a vengeance.

Florida is simply overbuilt and over populated along the edges. Too many people in one place causes conflict and that's what is at the root of the anti boater mentality. The cities and counties are at a loss as to what to do about derelict and abandoned and sunk boats. One pontificator on this site says that there are laws on the books that allow the local governments to do something about this. Show me these laws...cite the specific regs and enforcement mechanisms that allow the n'er-do-well boaters to be driven off while at the same time precluding the local towns from being in conflict with other federal regulations.

You can't get there from here. And that is much of the problem.

As for out of state boaters here in Florida, I have always welcomed them and have always lent them a hand any way I could. Boaters are a special, warm, helpful breed no matter where they are and Florida has a very good record of welcoming boaters from everywhere, as long as they pretty much follow the law and get their cruising sticker if that is what they are supposed to do.

Does Florida have some obnoxious waterway cops? You bet we do. Remember the two percent making life miserable for the 98%. Police have their two percent, too.

One last point. As for the guy who took 68 rounds from the Polk County deputies in Lakeland, from all indications he was one of the worst of the two percent. Even his own friends and family were happy to see him exit, according to all news reports. If he had committed those atrocities against your wife or daughter what would you want done to him?

Florida can be a primal state.

I love it here.
Great post, Eventide. Those last two sentences make me wonder . . . is your real name Carl Hiaasen?

TaoJones
Old 11-12-2008, 05:38   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
For anybody with plenty of time on their hands, here is some in depth writing on the laws pertaining here:

http://www.bootkeyharbor.com/GovtReg&RightsofNavFl.pdf

One aspect that provides the most problems for who is in charge lies here:

Under the Submerged Lands Act (SLA),
21 ownership of submerged lands and control of
the overlying waters was transferred to the states, subject to a reservation of significant power by
the federal government.
22 The SLA recognized, confirmed, and established each state's claim of
title and ownership
23 as well as management and administrative responsibility24 over submerged
lands beneath navigable waters. The Supreme Court has characterized the SLA as a transfer to the
states of rights to “submerged lands and waters”.
25 Congress’ goal in passing the SLA was to
decentralize management of coastal areas and foster greater local control to better meet the needs
of the state and boaters.
26 Congress stated that because management of submerged lands is directly
tied to local activities, “any conflict of interest arising from the use of the submerged lands should
be and can best be solved by local authorities.”
27 The SLA, however, expressly reserved in the
federal government the power to regulate these lands for the purposes of “commerce, navigation,

national defense, and international affairs.”
28 Several other statutes implement that authority.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida