Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 13:56   #211

Boat: Various
Re: Florida Boaters Unite: defeat HB 955 and SB 1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
I am only speaking as to the distance between a boat and a property line or dock. You and I know that if this is the limit, it will be measured from your boat to such, not from where your anchor is set (if your boat swings within 300ft then you'll get a citation).
Actually that's really a good question, how to measure. I think of it as the closest the boat could swing to the property. However, what if you're talking about placement of anchor. Then take a 50' boat in 10' of water so let's say 60' of rode. Now you have distances of around 100' from center of circle to outside (or radius of 100'). So if you measured from point of anchor you'd have to say Rode + length of boat + amount required by law. Seems impractical. To me the distance is minimum distance under the possible swing.

Just teasing with this statement so don't anyone take it seriously or get excited: While they're out there deciding distance from property, they could set a distance from other boats too. That's where I find more problem is boats that anchor and don't take swing fully into consideration plus an allowance. Try one time anchoring an 80-100' boat in an area of mostly 30-50'. They will anchor on top of you as if you were 30', forgetting that when you swing there will be an extra 70' of boat coming their way.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 18:15   #212

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Florida Boaters Unite: defeat HB 955 and SB 1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
I am only speaking as to the distance between a boat and a property line or dock. You and I know that if this is the limit, it will be measured from your boat to such, not from where your anchor is set (if your boat swings within 300ft then you'll get a citation).
Again, IMO, 300' is what I consider reasonable. I'm not suggesting ordinances at 300', as there are always situations where less is prudent.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida