Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 10:22   #1

Boat: Cornado 25
Florida House Bill 703 (2016)

Finally... One I think we should support. HB-703 (Workman; Perry) and SB-1454 (Hutson)

These proposed bills restrict the stopping of vessels for safety checks (by FWC , County, and Local Officers) without "Probable Cause". Be nice to have the same rights as you do behind the wheel of the car.

While I don't agree with the practices of the introducing House Member (Riding the kids on the bow of the boat is kinda like riding them on the hood of the car) the basic premise still stands. Dislike having my day interrupted for a random "Safety Check" while headed back to the mooring ball. Yeah, I got my jacket, whistle, etc... Same as last week. Same as every week. I didn't get old, being too bold.

Anyway, a couple we can watch and hopefully support.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:27   #2

Boat: Cornado 25
Re: Florida House Bill 703 (2016)

Update... HB 703 has cleared committee with an amendment changing the original proposed language. The original draft restricted State and Local LEOs from stopping a vessel for a safety inspection without "probable cause". The amended version eliminates the requirement for probable cause, but requires tne officer to issue a Safety Inspection Sticker if all safety requirements are met. Vessels displaying a valid Safety Inspection Sticker cannot be stopped in the future without obvious violations in progress. The amemdment was introduced by the bills original sponsor and the amended bill passed committee by a vote of 12 to 3.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Write your local reps if you are a Fl resident.

Tags
florida