Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2022, 14:32   #1

Florida Title, non USCG registered, Certificate of Cancellation

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could answer my question, I´ve looked all over the internet and here on the forums and haven´t found a solid answer.
I wanted to buy a sailboat in Florida to register in Colombia. One of the requirements is to show what translates to english as a certificate of deletion from the previous country´s registry. If I buy a USCG registered boat the owner I buy the boat from can get a Certificate of Deletion of Vessel from the USCG which would suffice. But if I buy a boat that is only Florida registered, does there exist a similiar certificate of deletion? If I buy a Florida registered vessel and register it to my name is there a way to cancel its registration or title and get something as evidence to show that it is no longer registered in Florida? As I understand a FL registered vessel is not a US flagged vessel, so technically its not registered to any country so how do I show evidence that it has been unregistered from the Florida registry?
The only option I have found is to register the boat in Poland or the UK as I am a British citizen and resident and then sail it down to Colombia. Then deregister the boat from their registry to get the necessary certificate of deletion and register it here in Colombia.
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.
Thank you!!
liamross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 18:56   #2

Re: Florida Title, non USCG registered, Certificate of Cancellation

I hate to ask the obvious question, but have you asked the Florida DMV about this? I know the DMV is generally an object of abject scorn, but the staff in Florida have always been very helpful...
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida