Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 20:40   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
Flying a Red Ensign - UK territory

OK, so foreign-flagged boat flying a courtesy flag in UK territory, do I fly the red ensign or the regular flag?

help me out here.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 20:50   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Flying a Red Ensign - UK territory

The RYA Flag Etiquette Book specifies that the Red Ensign is the proper courtesy flag for a foreign vessel in British waters. They note that many vessels fly the Union Jack, but, at least in their opinion, this is absolutely incorrect.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 00:52   #3

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21
Re: Flying a Red Ensign - UK territory

The correct courtesy ensign in ANY foreign waters is always, without exception, the MERCANTILE nautical ensign of the host country. Thus a USA warship on a visit to the UK displays the Red Ensign. Dsanduril refers to the RYAs "opinion"; just for once, they are in the right! (The perceived difficulty is that, for historical reasons, the UK has no fewer than 3 nautical ensigns - white, blue, red - and they are sometimes defaced, as well - whereas many other countries make no distinction between their national flag as used on land and that as used at sea). And why do we display courtesy flags? The answer is again, historical. In years gone by, any vessel displaying only her national colours in foreign waters could be construed as showing warlike intentions. Use of the courtesy flag says to a Frenchman, "I'm a Brit/German/Yank/whatever, (shownby my national colours), but I come in peace as a guest (shown by the courtesy flag)"
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote