Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 08:35   #16

Boat: DownEaster 38
Re: Flying with an auto-inflate PFD?

Lots of good advice here. I have had mixed success with the PFD(s) in my carry on bag with the cartridge(s) removed. Usually causes a stir, but usually goes through OK. Only problem was at Gatwick (UK) where the lady would not listen and took the cartridges. Good luck.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:58   #17

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Had an issue after US Airways bought American Airines. American's policy was that they were OK, US Airways I had to fight with for 15 minutes, even though I had the TSA regs. I may have even bought my ticket on American but it was a codeshare flight that US Airways was doing the actual flight.

Also, if going to Mexico you are OK on a direct flight on a US airline. However, if you connect through Mexico City they do a second screening between flights and will take the cartridges. Their rule is no compressed gas, even for PFD's.

One problem is that in some places it is hard to get the cartridges.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:04   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Thanks all. Well, it looks like Air Canada permit the PFD, as does catsa, so I should be ok.

Excerpt from AC's website:

Boating/Fishing equipment
When packed separately, each of the following counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type:

fishing rod in rod case + tackle box
tackle bag + reels
landing net
boots
life jacket
One self-inflating life jacket per person is accepted in both carry-on and checked baggage provided:
it’s fitted with a maximum of two small cylinders of carbon dioxide or another suitable gas in Division 2.2, and
it’s accompanied by no more than two spare cylinders.

I'll have printouts of all with me, but if AC have any issue with the CO2 cartridge I'll just remove it & get a new one in Spain.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:16   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
For the price of a cartridge, wouldn't it be much easier just to purchase one at your destination.
That depends. If the PFD was purchased in the US it will have Imperial threads on the actuator and cylinder; in the EU it will be metric. You cannot buy a gas cylinder for a US vest in the EU, and vice-versa.

The solution is to buy an entire inflator assembly with the local threads, at a high price. I still have two auto/manual metric inflators/cylinders (in the US) if anyone is interested.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:42   #20

That's important info CarinaPDX! Good to know!

I was initially just going to remove the cartridge until I found the clear directive on Air Canada & CATSA's websites saying they were ok. I bought in Canada & will be flying AC & Lufthansa. I don't see any prohibitions on Lufthansa's site so think I'm still ok.
Old 19-01-2017, 15:23   #21

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hi PChicken. Good to hear of your trip. If at all possible, I would fly without the cartridge (or pack separated in different bags checked luggage. Plan to loose the cylinder rather than argue. Also plan to purchase a small box full at your destination. This can likely be pre-ordered, unless you are going very remote in short time. Many experienced skippers keep "loan cylinders" aboard for fly-in crew. In this situation do always check system compatibility. Best wishes, have a good trip.
Old 19-01-2017, 15:42   #22

IATA rules permit the inflatable lfejackets

https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/...ble-23A-en.pdf

https://www.dgitraining.com/content/...R53changes.pdf

However:

1) Most airlines will approve when you show that the IATA rules and their own rules. I often fly West Jet and carry a copy if their rules. I have done the same with United.

2) British Airways requires advance approval which they add to your passenger information.

Cartridges for Mustang pfd's cannot be purchased in South Africa.

Make sure you declare the pfd/cartridges. I have been called back to security; fortunately it was a small airport (Comox, BC)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 16:39   #23

Boat: between boats

Lots of good advice. The instructor in my Safety at Sea course travels a lot with her pfd and gave the following advice:

Print out the TSA page of regulations and include it with your cartridges in your checked luggage. Include your cell phone number and ask that they call you if there are any issues.

- Joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 17:00   #24

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hi all CF. Just one other issue to be aware of please. Most auto-activated "hop and pop" life jackets require yearly upgrade of the "activation kit". Most skippers ask crew to do this rather than keep up with this for a full boat set. The active pop spring actuator pin is retained by a damp sensitive material (cardboard). Changing out gas cylinders is easy and low risk. Being responsible for life saving cardboard on a boat is most unlikely. Best wishes everyone.
Old 19-01-2017, 18:10   #25
Marine Service Provider

The only US air carrier that I know of that prohibits self-inflating PFDs (auto or manually activated) is American Airlines as of two years ago. Their policy may have changed now. A friend who flies American exclusively was returning from Italy with his PFD and cylinders, no go, he had to send them FedEx. They were promptly stolen from his shipment which tracking showed had never left Italy.

The TSA/FAA regulations are fairly liberal: to cartridges with the PFD plus two spares, either in carry-on or checked baggage. Declare with the carrier and the TSA. Have printed copies of both policies. Some airlines say checked only other say checked or carry-on. I guess they figured out that the typical airliner may have over 300 of such devices onboard available to the passengers at all times so what's the problem with a couple of extra CO2 cylinders.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 20:12   #26

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
The only US air carrier that I know of that prohibits self-inflating PFDs (auto or manually activated) is American Airlines as of two years ago. Their policy may have changed now. A friend who flies American exclusively was returning from Italy with his PFD and cylinders, no go, he had to send them FedEx. They were promptly stolen from his shipment which tracking showed had never left Italy.
Sorry to hear about your friend but I'm surprised. AA policy allows pfd cartridges in checked baggage. Here is American Airlines baggage restrictions. Covers self inflating pfds. 2 cartridges allowed in checked bag. Not allowed in carryon.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...cted-items.jsp

I flew American two months ago from SF to Bahamas via Miami with my pfd in checked baggage.

I also dont think this is a recent change. I flew America Airlines to Antigua in 2013 with my pfd in checked baggage. I'm sure some of my other trips as well since I use them for my freq flyer program.

I've never bothered to notify the airline or TSA. I print out the TSA policy and the airline policy and include the printout in my checked baggage with the cartridges. I also remove the cartridges from the pfd. (two cartridges per pfd so that I've got a spare).

YMMV, as it apparently did for your friend.

cheers,
Joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 19:55   #27

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

The OP might want to read this: https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-us/dec...-your-deckvest
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 04:18   #28

Yes, Red Sky, I had read that before I bought.

I still don't trust AC--they've messed us up before--but it looks like it should be doable this time.
Old 21-01-2017, 04:29   #29

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Not USA airline but flying out of China 3 days ago with pfd (cartridge not installed)got both cartridge and pfd taken away.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 01:00   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
For the price of a cartridge, wouldn't it be much easier just to purchase one at your destination.
We are trying and finding it quite difficult -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote