Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2014, 07:22   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Get ready for new anchoring regulations in Florida

If you thought that the extension of Florida's Anchoring and Mooring Pilot Program meant that new regulations would be put off until 2017, think again.

Last week's public meeting hosted by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was the first workshop in an effort to draft a legislative proposal allowing Florida municipalities to enact anchoring ordinances before the Pilot Program ends – perhaps as soon as the winter cruising season.

See article: Get ready for new anchoring regulations in Florida | General | Waterwayguide.com News Updates
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 08:45   #2

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Get ready for new anchoring regulations in Florida

Thank you for the update Mike. We moor and anchor almost exclusively and the "near private residences" might be a real issue in the future.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 05:18   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Anyway to make it easy for those of us who are FL property owners to weigh in on topic? Silence and the choice of not using our political system will cost us our rights to benefit from responsible use of public waterways.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 05:54   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

FWC told me that two public meetings (one on the FL east coast, one on the FL west coast) will be announced soon. I'll post and keep everyone up on the issue here and in my weekly newsletter (here's a link to yesterday's newsletter; however, there's no new article this week on this subject...but there is a free sign-up link down on the right column...I guess I shouldn't hide it so well! http://www.icontact-archive.com/e3vn...T4w3XvLMF1?w=4)
Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 06:45   #5

Boat: O'Day 28

It may be too late but I'd like to see one of you serious money guys in Fl, preferably a well-known lawyer, sue the state in federal court to end all these encroachments. I want a hands off policy/declaratory judgement kind of ruling, and jurisdictional clarification as to anchoring itself everywhere. We anchor when, where, and if as we need to.

There are far more direct ways to to solve local issues with specific problem boats than blanket rules; not to overlook the vast waste in redundancy of water LEOs and their high maintenance equipment already.

As the land rights of wealthy waterfront home owners end at the high water mark, I think their viewing rights should end there as well. I'd like to see a natural, uncluttered shoreline everywhere but I don't think I have a right to it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 07:07   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Seems to me the problem could easily be solve if States issued in transit anchoring permits for a reasonable amount and with reasonable restrictions and simply did not allow squatters that do not contribute to the costs of cleaning up behind them.
I live on what is basically an autonomous Indian reservation here in Panama and pay yearly for a Panama cruising permit and a monthly fee to the Guna to be here. At some locations I also pay a monthly anchoring fee. It works out to about $3/day and everyone is happy, and we have no squatters or derelict boats. The Guna do not allow any development, hotels, scuba diving, kite sailing, or any other activity that would disturb the tranquility of this paradise. Bear in mind that it is so tranquil here that most people move on quickly.
PS don't come, you will not like it here.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 07:26   #7

Here in hollywood fl. It makes no difference. They have only one marine patrol officer and no money for inforcement
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 07:28   #8

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Get ready for new anchoring regulations in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
.... It works out to about $3/day and everyone is happy, and we have no squatters or derelict boats. The Guna do not allow any development, hotels, scuba diving, kite sailing, or any other activity that would disturb the tranquility of this paradise. Bear in mind that it is so tranquil here that most people move on quickly.
PS don't come, you will not like it here.
Heh. Aside from the distance involved this comment tells the tale: "Bear in mind that it is so tranquil here that most people move on quickly."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida, regulations