Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2023, 08:28   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Giving up US Cruising License when using ROAM

We are planning on heading to the Bahamas in a couple of weeks time and would like to give up our US Cruising License.

We have been using the ROAM app and don't see a way to check out of the US (so our personal exit is logged), nor where we can give up the Cruising License (so we can renew for another year on the boat when we re-enter the US).

Does anyone know do we do this, hopefully someone who has done this.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:36   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Giving up US Cruising License when using ROAM

Unfortunately it's a common problem. CBP doesn't care if we leave, and has never issued us a zarpe. I'm told if you insist, they will do it but it's a fight
Same with the cruising permit. We have tried several times and had no success with canceling it.
When you come back, check in under the same cruising permit(assuming it's still valid) and request a new one once the old expires. Different offices will treat it different. Finding one that will issue a new permit is the trick. We have had good luck with the Norfolk office.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:54   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Unfortunately it's a common problem. CBP doesn't care if we leave, and has never issued us a zarpe. I'm told if you insist, they will do it but it's a fight
Same with the cruising permit. We have tried several times and had no success with canceling it.
When you come back, check in under the same cruising permit(assuming it's still valid) and request a new one once the old expires. Different offices will treat it different. Finding one that will issue a new permit is the trick. We have had good luck with the Norfolk office.
We went to CBP downtown San Diego office and cancelled our cruising licence and received form indicating so... before we headed to Mexico.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I am q dualie and had my Canadian registered boat in the USA for a few seasons.

I believe there are something like 13 different districts and each one interprets the regulations differently. New York region was a PITA. Baltimore completely different. I made a point of going to the office and speaking to the agents personally. I would hand in my cruising permit when I hauled the boat (in dry dock for the agents). Then when I wanted to launch I would go get another permit.

From mu experience I would find the office that covers your point of departure and go there, in person, and ask them how to do what you want. If that does not work then try an adjacent district. I will net that what you want is doable at least somewhere.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:48   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

A zarpe is almost impossible. At best they will give you a Form 1300 which is for the big ships.

Leave and when you come back, check in using ROAM, then enter your old license number and ask for a new one. This will usually get the officer to call you and then it goes through without issue.

Having said this - do not try this in the South Carolina district - they are so restrictive on reading the regs that the regs become almost impossible to follow

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:48   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've cleared out of the USA twice in Norfolk, VA. They had no problem issuing an exit Zarpe (I can't remember the form number, but it was for bigger vessels) and cancelling my cruising licenses both times.
The exit paperwork was accepted by Dutch Sint Maarten and Antigua - both countries known for being very picky regarding paperwork.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We give up ours in North Palm Beach as thats where we always make the crossing from. From the anchorage south of Peanut Island it's a five minute walk to the customs office and they will recind your current license for you.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:39   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Norfolk is Baltimore District and they have been pretty reasonable.
This district by district interpretation is BS but we are stuck with it.
I BELIEVE Miami is easy to work with but have no personal experience.
Old 11-01-2023, 13:19   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FYI Bahamas dose not require a ZARPE. But will give you one when you exit.
Ditto the French islands (Saint Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique).

Sint Maartin (Dutch side) DOES require a zarpe. If you come direct from the US (VI, PR, continental) you can come into the Dutch lagoon and continue to the French side. OR if staying Dutch side just dingy over to the French side to Island Water World and check in, get lunch, check out, dingy back to Dutch side and show them the French ZARPE. I even did it on a 4 day weekend and the Dutch tolerated me. Just need to give them a bean to count and they are happy, no bean, no happy.
Old 11-01-2023, 14:20   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 57

It is well-known in the cruising community that the French islands (St. Martin, St. Barths, Guadeloupe, Martinique) are the best places to clear in "informally". This is usually done in coffee shops or other stores and it is known that outbound clearances, or "Zarpe", are not checked. All that for a government mandated fee of 5 Euros! It is really the boating equivalent of "get out of jail free"! Vive la France!
Old 11-01-2023, 14:35   #11

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We give up ours in North Palm Beach as thats where we always make the crossing from. From the anchorage south of Peanut Island it's a five minute walk to the customs office and they will recind your current license for you.
Great info, thank you. It's too late for this year, we are approaching west palm offshore, but are continuing straight to Bahamas tonight.
I will definately check that out next year!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 16:26   #12

So much misinformation in here...

You absolutely CAN get a zarpe from the US, and yes you DO use form 1300. No, it is not convenient, you have to actually physically go to a CBP office, you can not use ROAM. Yes, the form does have parts that only apply to big ships, but WHO CARES???? Just fill it out and get it stamped, and you are good to go. Put on your big boy pants and just deal.

https://fetchinketch.net/2022/05/01/...ut-of-the-usa/

If you are leaving for places other than the Bahamas, it is ALWAYS a good idea to get a zarpe from the USA. It is true the USA really doesn't care about checking out for US flagged boats, but MANY countries do. I know from personnel, first hand knowledge that Antigua, Grenada, Guatemala and Sint Maarten will make life difficult for you if you show up without a zarpa--even if you are coming from the USA. I know people who have been delayed approval, or refused entry without a zarpe in hand, and others who had to pay significant fines.

If we are leaving the USA (including PR and the USVI) we ALWAYS get a zarpe. Somehow we manage--even though there are people here who claim it is not possible.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 14:53   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

If you are going to the Bahamas (and don't need the outbound clearance) I have been told:

You should call the nearest Port of Entry and ask them to “cancel” the cruising license (CL) in their system. He said their system was recently updated and the officer will actually have to go into the “issue CL” function to add an end date for the CL.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, license