Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 07:24   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Didn't realize the concept of a supervisor was troubling. Someone should tell the world.
No need... we already know managements top heavy...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 07:24   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Didn't realize the concept of a supervisor was troubling. Someone should tell the world.
Now we know the answer to that old question "but, who watches the watchman?"

Obvious now Another watchman

But I wonder who watches..............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 07:43   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
One of the reasons the USCG documentation center is behind is their ridiculous policy of sending out a new document every year. Even though they don't charge for the renewals, a new piece of paper every 5 years would be far more efficient.
Actually 20 years ago the USCG documentation was an actual thick card stock piece of paper that was good forever except you had to affix a new little sticker each year to the back.
- - For some reason or other they changed to the annual letter sized piece of paper. If I remember correctly, the reason given was that the Fed's now required "every" State to issue Titles to boats where some States like Mississippi never did. The new USCG documentation changed to resemble State titles and has the change of ownership information on the back just like automobiles.
- - It is a major pain in the butt to arrange to get the new USCG Doc's to you if you are offshore cruising. Renewals are sent with less than a month left on last year's document. International mail varies from 2 to 6 weeks depending upon where you are and you have to add in the time for your mail receiver in the US to get and forward the new doc's to you. Major pain.
- - If you renew earlier than a month they change the termination day/month to a month (or so) earlier. Another pain.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 07:57   #34

Boat: hunter 42 - s/v Compass Rose
"Some states have a problem if the hailing port is out of state"...

makes it really hard for them to see if it needs to be "taxed" in their state...someone actually has to look up the information... as opposed to walking the dock, making a list and turning it in to the county/state tax folks...

Whilst paying my yearly tax burden, I see on the Commissioner's in box a handwritten sheet with XXXX Marina, XXXX, VA....and a list of boats by name and generic description (i.e. "big sailboat, little boat on deck, Roanoke, VA)...looks like a good summer job for some one...

As to the super visor, Don...since when do two people need a "supervisor"...they should simply do the job...

Homeland security is the biggest disorganization on the planet...with some of the most clueless "experts" around. Yes, I know, as I was one of those horrid contractors for several years. When they absorbed the CG...they forgot one minor detail...the CG had secure systems, and they did not...kind of froze things for a while till the "experts" got a grasp on things...odd thing was any Coastie could have told them that from the get go...but no one at DHS was willing to listen to ANY of the OEs that they now owned..

And then there is TWIC....need I say more...
kd3pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 08:17   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
And then there is the FCC - try getting, changing or renewing a license there. It is all on the internet - but - the run-around and multiple accounts numbers, etc. is baffling beyond belief. Kind of makes you wish for the old days and smoke signals . . .
- - Governments by nature make no "hard product" to manufacture/sell and have no competition, so it is just the "nature of the beast" and not much we can do about it. I am sure each cruiser from all the countries of the world have similar (scaled) horror stories of dealing with their bureaucrats.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 08:35   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Government is Good - An Unapologetic Defense of a Vital Institution
Here ➥

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 10:04   #37

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
And then there is the FCC - try getting, changing or renewing a license there. It is all on the internet - but - the run-around and multiple accounts numbers, etc. is baffling beyond belief. Kind of makes you wish for the old days and smoke signals . . .
I think the FCC does a great job. Everything ties to a single number, the FRN. I upgraded my ham license recently and it showed up in the database in ONE DAY. Nice. My first radio license in 1975(ish) took weeks.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 10:23   #38

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Here ➥ Government is Good - An Unapologetic Defense of a Vital Institution
Gord, you're killing me! These guys are kool-aid drinkers.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 11:55   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Gord, you're killing me! These guys are kool-aid drinkers.
Personally I think that anyone who believes less regulation allowing for unfettered activity by corporations is beneficial to the planet or most of her residents has been drinking the kool-aid and should be very concerned about the quality of water the kool-aid is made from but then if opinions were nickles we'd all be millionaires.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 12:08   #40

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Interesting that one proceedure can be so inefficient and another very efficient. I sent my renewal in Dec. 4 and had the new document back on Dec 9.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 12:09   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Here ➥
Shouldn't that be on the joke page?

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 12:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Personally I think that anyone who believes less regulation allowing for unfettered activity by corporations is beneficial to the planet or most of her residents has been drinking the kool-aid and should be very concerned about the quality of water the kool-aid is made from but then if opinions were nickles we'd all be millionaires.
Ah...the topic in this thread is regulation of private citizens by government agencies, the evolving complexities of government agencies, and the inefficiencies of government agencies. Regulation of corporations is a whole different can of worms.
Old 15-12-2010, 12:27   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Our “free markets” and “liberal democracies” have (more or less) succeeded in our countries, and retain wide spread public support, not in spite of government, but largely because of government. We should be advocating for better government, not (necessarily) less government.

Were the metaphorical allegory accurate (it’s not), then Douglas J. Amy < Government is Good - An Unapologetic Defense of a Vital Institution > would be mixing the cool-aid, not drinking it.

As Amy says:
“We need to better understand the indispensable roles that government plays in our society, and we need to come to the defense of this unfairly maligned institution....”
“Although conservatives portray government as incompetent, public sector programs have actually amassed an admirable record of success in a wide variety of policy areas...”
“The real problem with [American] government is that it is not as democratic as it should be. Affluent special interests have too much power in our political system and the public has too little...”
“Without a whole host of government rules, capitalism could not exist. Even regulations and social programs help sustain a market economy by fixing many of its serious social and economic problems...”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 12:33   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Our “free markets” and “liberal democracies” have (more or less) succeeded in our countries, and retain wide spread public support, not in spite of government, but largely because of government. We should be advocating for better government, not (necessarily) less government.

Were the metaphorical allegory accurate (it’s not), then Douglas J. Amy < Government is Good - An Unapologetic Defense of a Vital Institution > would be mixing the cool-aid, not drinking it.

As Amy says:
“We need to better understand the indispensable roles that government plays in our society, and we need to come to the defense of this unfairly maligned institution....”
“Although conservatives portray government as incompetent, public sector programs have actually amassed an admirable record of success in a wide variety of policy areas...”
“The real problem with [American] government is that it is not as democratic as it should be. Affluent special interests have too much power in our political system and the public has too little...”
“Without a whole host of government rules, capitalism could not exist. Even regulations and social programs help sustain a market economy by fixing many of its serious social and economic problems...”
Indeed.... its not the System.... its the People 'Working It'

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 12:58   #45

Jim Jones (and aids) mixed the kool-aid. Most of his followers willingly drank it. The rest were forced to.