Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2010, 09:16   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Excuse me, I thought the USA was currently at "war" - in two different countries ...
In the United States, only the U.S. Congress may declare war on a country. Congress has not declared war since WWII.
In instances such as Viet Nam, Afghanistan, & Iraq, the United States has engaged in extended military combat, that were authorized by Congress, but short of a formal declaration of war.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 09:32   #62

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Gord May - your right and that is why I put the word in quotes - -
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 09:51   #63

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Things can always get worse. I deal with the VA and Tricare.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 10:55   #64

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Government is Good - An Unapologetic Defense of a Vital Institution
Here ➥
Government is Good - An Unapologetic Defense of a Vital Institution
Gord,

Thanks for this link. It makes for interesting reading and provides some real education.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 11:55   #65

Ahh, but to be in a place with less government to deal with. We could all just sail until our hearts are content and never have big brother intefere! Somalia sounds awesome doesn't it? Doubt those blokes even have to bother with getting any decals, nor mess about with any registry changes. They've sure got it good with their "less government".
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 13:37   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
In the midst of an economic crisis that’s getting scarier by the day, it’s time to ask whether the nation can really afford some 1,000 military bases overseas. For those unfamiliar with the issue, you read that number correctly. One thousand. One thousand U.S. military bases outside the 50 states and Washington, DC, representing the largest collection of bases in world history.
kd3pc, why don't you place your venom on the real pirates of your tax money.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 14:40   #67

Boat: hunter 42 - s/v Compass Rose
Frz....

I am not sure where you got the quote...but it is not mine...your pronouncement of venom by me...is an error...as is your attempt to malign me. If it is my opinion that annoys you so, accept that you are annoyed and move along...but to call my opinion "VENOM" because you disagree with it...is juvenile in the extreme

Perhaps you should look before you leap....or think before you post...
kd3pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 14:49   #68

Boat: hunter 42 - s/v Compass Rose
Frz

perhaps we should take this offline...feel free to contact me via email, I feel no need to violate the terms of this fine board to explain myself to you
kd3pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 15:00   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Official Warning....

People,
Threads like this are always difficult for us moderators. On the one hand we allowed the thread to go on for this long which kinda sets a precedent that it is okay to continue along these lines. For a handful of the posts, those are over the line regarding our Rules. Nope, I'm not going to name names....its pretty obvious.

Please, if you want this thread to stay open then you guys need to tone down the overt politics and stop the direct attacks. I don't care if Billy hit Joey first.

It comes down to how you post if you want it to stay open.

The next time I have to climb into the back seat to spank you kids, I will just take away your GameBoy instead. (close it).

Thanks.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 15:11   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
The next time I have to climb into the back seat to spank you kids, I will just close the thread instead.
Ouch...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:08   #71

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
It's obvious that just the title of the thread absolutely shouts, "Eventual Thread Closure".

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:20   #72

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
If I was absolute dictator, I'd decree that documentation renewals be every five years to assure owners and boats still exist, leastwise for recreational vessels as they have low risk. Of course, would also ask for/consider public input before enactment.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 18:38   #73
cruiser

Cruising across international borders is a political act, affected by politics, period.
A five year renewal will eventually mean a steep fee every five years, eventually so steep it will eliminate many of you from the cruising lifestyle. . .
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 20:25   #74

Boat: Beneteau 393
Dang, and here I thought cruising across international borders was just called "traveling"...

Seriously, I applied for my initial documentation the latter half of Oct. I had always been told that the initial documentation for recreational boats was about 6 months, so I'm pretty happy that the processing dates are a little ahead of that time line.

The USCG updates their processing dates weekly, so there is no need to call them (and potentially waste their time when they could be processing cases). Here's the link: USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, PDF Page .

I'd also like to point out their processing dates for non-recreational cases is pretty fast, like one or two days! The reality is there is no US requirement that we get our boats documented, so they get a much lesser priority than those for which it is required to make a living.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 20:44   #75

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
I have found the USCG Vessel Documentation Center in West Virginia to be friendly and efficient, every time. The few times I've called I didn't have to wait more than a few minutes to reach a competent person who could answer my questions with reference to my specific case, even though my last two situations were somewhat complicated. If that has changed it is surprising to me, and probably due to circumstances beyond the employees control.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote