Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2022, 05:55   #1

Greece to Italy: Awaiting Radio License (SRC/MMSI)

Hi Everyone,
Some background: I'm waiting on my RYA SRC to be issued. I did the test in early April and the certificate has still not been issued. RYA can't give me a timeline (6 weeks or more from when they received the test).

In order to get the MMSI from Poland, where the yacht is registered, I need to have this certificate.

All the while sitting in Greece with our Schengen days counting down (We're Australian). So the plan had been to go across to Italy and up to Croatia, and what little documentation I could find suggests that the Italian Authorities might ask for this information.

Does anyone know how serious it is not having this sorted out. I've got a temporary SRC that was issued after the exam. Is it a warning? a fine? yacht impounded? life-in-prison?

As an aside: I can find barely any information on EU-flagged yachts with Non-EU nationals on board. If anyone has done this, it would be great to know more. (We're planning to go from Corfu to the nearest port of entry).
vertis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 09:15   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Greece to Italy: Awaiting Radio License (SRC/MMSI)

I wouldn’t worry about the SRC. you’d be most unlucky to be asked for it. In 25 years in the med move has never been asked for. ( damn as I keep carrying it. )

To your other question
An EU yacht , ie flagged in the EU is actually irrelevant, because the status is directly related to the “beneficial owners “

So you have days in 180 the yacht as “ goods “ has free circulation within the EU unless exported ( like any other “ goods”) exporting means going outside the 12 mile limit of the EU customs union

Of course compliance oversight is another discussion. Entirely !!!
Old 29-05-2022, 11:39   #3

That's very useful with regards to the SRC. I want to be as compliant as possible, but I can't do that if the powers-that-be won't actually process the certificates.

Not sure I fully understand what you're saying about the "goods" and beneficial owners. I'm planning to go to Croatia for the 90/180 days requirement (since last I'd heard they aren't joining schengen till 2024). So it's mostly the entry formalities I'm interested in.

All the documentation I can find, suggests EU flagged yachts with EU nationals don't have to do customs formalities at all in Italy from other schengen countries. Non-EU flagged yachts do (of course). And non-EU nationals on an EU flagged yacht is hard to find anything about.

Usually schengen-to-schengen (by land) they don't really check passports. Maybe a spot check here or there, but in general it's borderless. And by yacht, no idea. All very confusing.

To be clear, I've never crossed a border with a yacht at all, so I'm the worst kind of question asker. Inexperienced and flailing .
vertis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 23:21   #4
Nearly an old salt

Separate the crew from the boat.

Non eu crew must clear into the Schengen area , once inside the area they do not have to clear in again even if they travel by sea between Schengen areas. Time at sea will be counted in your 90 days allowance

( while technically Schengen doesn’t apply to arrival by yacht , the process is still applied )

This means when entering Schengen you need to go to a port of entry. However some marinas can organise entry procedures so call them in advance to check.

the boats EU status is irrelevant in regards to crew immigration status , however some EU countries have specific requirements for non EU boats including transit logs and extra cruising taxes , Greece being an example. These can typically be sorted out at the port of entry for example ( Italy has a transit log also for non EU boats )

For an EU boat other then specific country cruising taxes ( Greece applies a tax to all cruising boats ) there are no other formalities associated specifically with the boat.

Hence if you have non EU crew follow the procedures for admittance into the Schengen area. After that unless you specifically leave the area ( ie get stamped into a non Schengen country ) no further immigration clearance is required. The flag of the boat they are on is irrelevant.

Next year EISTA will add some slight complications , and of course the 90 days compliance process will be computerised as a result

( note France has formalised procedures recently to allow non Schengen non eu crew to arrival at non ports of entry by informing them ( in le harve ) in advance of that port they will arrive at.

So in your specific case you have already immigrated into the Schengen area. You can sail from Greece to Italy without any further procedures , if you go via Croatia you will have to enter Schengen again in Italy . Again it doesn’t matter if you have a EU flagged boat or not.

In Italy in my experience you’ll be very unlucky to be asked for anything other ships papers and insurance

In 35 years sailing I’ve never once been asked for my radio certs. (Damn as I’m a CEPT GOC , and I carry my SRC , LRC and GOC certs )

In Europe, it seems , the more certs you have and the more pristine your papers are, the less likely someone asks for them.
Old 30-05-2022, 04:16   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Totally agree with those who say that no one in Italy cares - in forty-two years in and out of Italy, no one ever asked to see anything but ship's certificate and proof of insurance. Here the authorities are interested only in Italians, false-flagged or otherwise, who avoid the humungous taxes (only) they must pay as boaters.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 04:29   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

I dot understand your problem. MMSI is given to a radio station on a vessel.
Are you sure that Polish authorities ask for the license of the operator as a requirement for issue of station licence?
It is not the case in USA.
Old 31-05-2022, 07:29   #7
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I dot understand your problem. MMSI is given to a radio station on a vessel.
Are you sure that Polish authorities ask for the license of the operator as a requirement for issue of station licence?
It is not the case in USA.

It’s a requirement for CEPT international valid ships radio station licenses, the applicant must have proof of vhf operator competency and in many countries the vhf license must be from that country also. Ireland will not for example accept RYA SRC ( and others ) for ships radio applications

Tags
Greece, Italy, license, radio